Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Huawei submitted a very poor quality Linux security patch

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
pcalvert

Huawei submitted a very poor quality Linux security patch

#1 Post by pcalvert »

Here's some news that I just saw for the first time a short while ago:
HKSP or Huawei Kernel Self Protection, as the name suggests, is a tool for kernel protection. It was submitted to the Linux Foundation for inclusion in the official Linux Kernel project through its mailing list on Sunday. The kernel protection tool was supposed to introduce a series of security-hardening options to the Linux kernel. However, on inspection, the patch was found to introduce a backdoor to the Linux kernel project.
See: androidrookies.com/huawei-dev-team-sends-a-buggy-hksp-patch-with-backdoor-to-linux-foundation/

EDIT:

The claim that the patch would have introduced a backdoor is false.

Phil
Last edited by pcalvert on 2020-07-13 00:47, edited 2 times in total.
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Huawei submitted Linux security patch containing a backd

#2 Post by CwF »

Thank you.

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Well at least they caught it. This time...
deadbang

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#4 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

This case proves that open source idea just works -> think of what is happening in closed source code projects, where no one can verify the quality of code...

The code in this patch is indeed a crap, so this information is astonishing:
https://grsecurity.net/huawei_hksp_intr ... nerability
Further, on information from our sources, the employee is a Level 20 Principal Security staffer, the highest technical level within Huawei.
:lol:

That code has set-but-not-used variable: the compiler will issue a warning about this fact -> the code was never compiled before it was commit (never tested), or this isn't just a mistake...
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by CwF »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:think of what is happening in closed source code projects, where no one can verify the quality of code...
You mean like WPS Office maybe...

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#6 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

I mean closed source in general, but WPS Office is indeed a very good example ...
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Just noticed that it was Grsecurity that caught Huawei red-handed — props to Brad Spangler & crew!
deadbang

Fernando Negro

#8 Post by Fernando Negro »

This is why it's so easy for the mass media (and others) to manipulate people...

Almost no one checks the sources, or even *demands proofs* of what it's said.

("What? Russian hackers interfered in the elections? OK, I believe that just because you say so... Hey everyone, Russian hackers interfered in the elections!")

What sense would it make for Huawei, at this time (of all) - when it's being the target of spying suspicions - to submit a backdoor in plain sight? I mean, how *stupid* would Huawei have to be, to ruin their reputation (forever) with something like this - even more, at a time when everyone is paying close attention to whatever they do? And, how could a company supposedly this stupid ever reach a top position on the market? Don't you find this supposed episode immensely convenient for those who have an interest in launching suspicions about Huawei?

If you check the source for such "article", you'll read the following:

(Pay special attention to the first update at the start of the post...)

Huawei HKSP Introduces Trivially Exploitable Vulnerability
I just *love* the stability, much more bug-free nature, and modular installation options of Debian. Apart from the unfortunate adoption of "systemd" (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=129881&start=165#p671030) this distribution is *great*.

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Yes, the press coverage does seem a bit hyperbolic (or just plain hyper bollocks) but the fact remains that Huawei tried to submit code that was badly flawed and it's not the first time they've added code to the kernel.
deadbang

pcalvert

Re: Huawei submitted a very poor quality Linux security patc

#10 Post by pcalvert »

I just changed the subject line of the original post to better reflect what actually happened.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.