Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Test print shows less info than on other system

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Budgie

Test print shows less info than on other system

#1 Post by Budgie »

A sad tale I am having to set up and use a spare machine pending delivery of replacement hard drives.
The spare machine is running Debian 9 with KDE desktop and all three printers on the lan are HP devices of different vintages.

When I print a test page with the newest printer which is a monochrome laser I get a full and detailed printed page.

On the two colour printers, which are much older, one laserjet and the other inkjet I get a printed page but with with very sparse information shown, for example the monochrome shows Imageable Area details such as page size and resolution, Information on HPLIP version and machine details. Also HP logo and "Printed Using HP Linux Imaging and Printing System."

On the two older machines none of this detail is shown just "PrinterTestPage," a debian logo, colour wheel and mono grey bar and Unix printing System, which I believe is inside the Cups logo plus a few lines of the same information but in simple text format.

I confess my usual machine is running openSUSE and I am not familiar with Debian but I do not have the same problem with the openSUSE machine. I suspect I am missing some libraries or other dependencies but have no idea what to install.

Please can somebody advise.

arid

Re: Test print shows less info than on other system

#2 Post by arid »

So, let me get this straight,

You're whining about test printouts that are different on different systems,

My advise is to use openSUSE and spend some time at your local library researching your problem.
There's no drama in my sid......

Budgie

#3 Post by Budgie »

arid wrote:So, let me get this straight,

You're whining about test printouts that are different on different systems,

My advise is to use openSUSE and spend some time at your local library researching your problem.
I think the word you are looking for is "advice" and I am sorry I didn't explain more clearly. The openSUSE machine is down pending delivery of a replacement drive.
I am seeking help with printer installations on a Debian 9 machine so that all the printers will work on the Debian system.

sleepy possum

#4 Post by sleepy possum »

I'm a brand new user of Debian.

And this is my first visit to this forum.

Is the reply to the OP that I see above considered assistance in these forums?

If it is, can anyone please point me to a Debian forum where useful assistance is provided to users?

cuckooflew

#5 Post by cuckooflew »

Do you have a problem specific to Debian ? If you need assistance with something specific to Debian, then why don't you just ask your question ?Give good details, and be clear about the assistance you need.(If you really need assistance) You could also browse the forum, if you don't like the kind of answers given here,you are welcome to look for some where else and ask there.
can anyone please point me to a Debian forum where useful assistance is provided to users?
Try some search foo, EG: keywords :

Code: Select all

Debian forum where useful assistance is provided to users
Copy /paste into your favourite search engine, like this:
Debian forum where useful assistance is provided to users
It strikes me as odd , that someone really needing assistance with Debian a related problem, would ask a question like this first,most normal new members/users , just ask their question, and most do get use full answers, I wonder if your motives here are something else, and maybe you do not even really need any assistance with Debian, I could be wrong though.
===== additional ====
Before judging the entire forum, based on 1 answer, to 1 post, you should click the OP's name,
Budgie
and take a look at their other posts, I think you will see they got good use full answers, at first
Budgie posts
But later they started all ways referring Opensuse, and this forum is NOT about Opnesuse, it is not surprising to me at all that Budgie started getting the kind of answer they got here.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

Budgie

#6 Post by Budgie »

I thought my original question was clear. I am not familiar with Debian and only have my experience on openSUSE (used since 2008) with which to compare. I was seeking help setting up the printers on a backup system which is running Debian and not used before for printing. I was comparing the results in the belief that the results were so different it appeared I may have left something out or configured it incorrectly. I was not seeking help on openSUSE.

I had no idea I would receive such an unhelpful reply but clearly I am not the only one who thought that.

I am pleased to report that the replacement drive arrived, was hot swapped and the original system is back at work, so I do not have to spend any more time on my printing question.
It has been an interesting experience and thanks for the gratuitous instruction. I shall endeavour to refrain from mentioning openSUSE ever again on this forum.