Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Help] VPN Kill Switch Killed My Internet

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
rocky

[Help] VPN Kill Switch Killed My Internet

#1 Post by rocky »

I'm not sure if this is where I'm supposed to ask, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

After trying out the service with Nord vpn and it is working out well, I tried using the VPN Kill Switch feature. It works well! However, ever since I've disconnected from the VPN (Yes, I did choose disconnect in the options)... I've been unable to connect to any internet services whatsoever.

I've tried:

Rebooting the computer

Closing out of the Nord vpn software

Reconnecting to the Nord VPN (Unable to succeed)

Turning off the option for VPN Internet Kill Switch (And saving it)

Forgetting the internet network and putting all of the details back in again

Reconnecting to a different internet network

Uninstalling and reinstalling the nord vpn

Any help is appreciated! Thank You!

LE_746F6D617A7A69

Re: [Help] VPN Kill Switch Killed My Internet

#2 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

How are You connected to the internet?

Just because You can't connect to any website doesn't mean that your network connection is not working.
Check the connection settings in NetworkManager, especially if networking is enabled at all.

ping the Google, f.e.:

Code: Select all

ping 172.217.16.164
show the content of resolv.conf:

cat /etc/resolv.conf
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

aherrera

#3 Post by aherrera »

Have you tried restoring any system backup/snapshot you have?

Have you tried to uninstall

# apt-get purge --autoremove -yq nordvpn-client
NordVPN ?

Have you tried if your network interface is on (

ifconfig
)

Have you tried another network or using a LiveCD?

Can you post your

inxi -Fxva
output

eriefisher

#4 Post by eriefisher »

How about:

rfkill list
Is this thing on???
Xfce4 4.14

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by p.H »

What is VPN kill switch ?

Bulkley

#6 Post by Bulkley »

What Is a VPN Kill Switch And Why You Have To Use One

A VPN kill switch should be automatic. I don't know what the OP did but he probably made a mess. I'm wondering if, by manually interfering, he managed to lock his router access to the Internet. To fix this he might have to reboot the router or fix its built in firewall.

RU55EL

#7 Post by RU55EL »

I get the impression, from the OP's posts, that the VPN software is running on the computer, not the router. Of course, that is just my impression.

I use a VPN, sometimes from a phone, tablet, or computer, and sometimes from a router. If there is a problem, it will lock out access to the internet. I have never had the VPN software lock out the internet to the point that a reboot of the computer, device, or router wouldn't fix the problem.

Bulkley

#8 Post by Bulkley »

RU55EL wrote:I use a VPN, sometimes from a phone, tablet, or computer, and sometimes from a router. If there is a problem, it will lock out access to the internet. I have never had the VPN software lock out the internet to the point that a reboot of the computer, device, or router wouldn't fix the problem.
Agreed. I've had similar experiences.

The opening post was posted on Reddit 6 years ago. Is the OP a bot?

cuckooflew

#9 Post by cuckooflew »

You know, it might be a human, but "droid", and then again it might be a bot. Yes, it seems to be just copy/pasting text, modifies portions, though, different VPN, and also says it is using windows 7, and here every one just assumes it is using Debian, but actually it never does say,..
I was even going to reply earlier, myself, but then I changed my mind, because it is obviously a farce, I mean really, this entity is paying top dollar, for a commercial VPN, and something goes wrong with the VPN software, yet it never occurs to them to use the support, that they are paying for, instead they decide to ask on reddedit or Debian, to help them, ??? :?: Go figure, does not make sense to me,...and this
Post by rocky » 2020-06-13 08:51
I'm not sure if this is where I'm supposed to ask, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

After trying out the service with Nord vpn and it is working out well, I tried using the VPN Kill Switch feature. It works well! However, ever since I've disconnected from the VPN (Yes, I did choose disconnect in the options)... I've been unable to connect to any internet services whatsoever.
Rocky what ever you are, try to do better then this, "It is working out well", yet it broke your systems ability to connect to interenet :?: Either you are copy/pasting stuff, with out even having a clue as to what it says, eg: like a bot would, or your idea of " it is working out well, I tried using the VPN Kill Switch feature. It works well!", your idea of what works well is totally different then mine, but then again, anyone that think MS windows works well, might very well consider this as "working well" also,...
The opening post was posted on Reddit 6 years ago. Is the OP a bot?
Maybe, or some wise guy, and they are sitting there laughing at all of us, as we try to figure it out,..or the most probable, a human, getting paid next to nothing, working for a "spam sweatshop" some where, they do not speak or understand english well enough to know that what they copy/paste does not make sense,
and are hoping that later they will be able to come back and edit their post, adding the spam links required so that they can get paid $ 00.25 cents, or less,... In any event , personally I can not take the post seriously, simply because they say everything is working well,
it is working out well, I tried using the VPN Kill Switch feature. It works well!
and then turn around it say,
ever since I've disconnected from the VPN (Yes, I did choose disconnect in the options)... I've been unable to connect to any internet services whatsoever.
So it really did not work out well at all, did it ?
Whew, so much for my typing practice tonight, glad that is done. :mrgreen:
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

rocky

#10 Post by rocky »

@all thank you all for your research and for trying your best to help me. Yes, being the lazy ass I copy-pasted the issue with some minor changes as I was facing the same issue.

I have left the nord service. Now, please recommend the services below which works best as per your experience:
- https://www.expressvpn.com/features/network-lock
- https://www.purevpn.com/features/vpn-kill-switch
- https://www.safervpn.com/vpn-kill-switch

Thank you in advance!

cuckooflew

#11 Post by cuckooflew »

Well I guess it is not a bot, I don't recommend any of the above, because I do not and have not ever used any of them, also still wondering if you are even using Debian, or what OS, ?
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

susanjohn1

#12 Post by susanjohn1 »

I faced such issues even I had used NordVPN and at times their chrome extension is not connecting until completely remove from chrome and reinstall it, I don't know what's the reason behind it, maybe it's a bug but surprised these issues from top VPN providers... :o :o :o

alexablondie

#13 Post by alexablondie »

you should open 'connections' on your computer and make sure that you are connected to ethernet, not to your vpn service ' s network