Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Reinstall Wired Network and more ...

Need help with peripherals or devices?
bkpsusmitaa

Reinstall Wired Network and more ...

#1 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

Debian Squeeze 9.11.0 Live ISO has lxde when installed on HDD. The ISO installs wicd as the Network Managing software and not Network Manager Tool.

Network Manager has nm-connection-editor to manage network. Moreover, I am far familiar with Network Manager tool than wicd. So I am heavily biased towards the former, having little to no familiarity with the latter.

Moreover, when Debian was installed in the beginning and a difficulty was faced while installing the WiFi, Network Manager was installed and WiFi was configured.

Network Manager applet continued to inform that it wasn't managing the Wired network, but was ignored.

Yesterday, I uninstalled the wicd package as I didn't want it, to save space. But Wired Connection was lost. I re-installed Network Manager with packages like network-manager and network-manager-gnome.

But the wired connection wasn't restored.

I searched the Debian Forums meticulously. Found one post here:
Fixed Lost Network Connection (Basic Troubleshooting)

There were four steps:

Code: Select all

# ping 8.8.8.8
# /etc/init.d/networking start
# ifconfig -a
# systemctl status networking.service
Then in the end,

# sudo dhclient eth0
Here comes the problem. Package dhclient is no longer available.

But Debian continues to make things easy for us users. So with this firm belief, I continued to search and found a Debian Wiki page and continued to read, until I reached the clue here:
Wired Networks are Unmanaged

There I raed(read) the clue (I shall copy the portion to relive the beauty of the simplicity in design):
NetworkManager does not manage any interface defined in /etc/network/interfaces by default.

Unmanaged devices means NetworkManager doesn't handle those network devices. This occurs when two conditions are met:

1. The file /etc/network/interfaces contains anything about the interface, even:

allow-hotplug eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
2 And /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf contains:

[main]
    plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
    managed=false
Enabling Interface Management

If you want NetworkManager to handle interfaces that are enabled in /etc/network/interfaces:

Set managed=true in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.

Restart NetworkManager:

/etc/init.d/network-manager restart
Lo and behold! The network is restored! No, this is a False Flag, found later.

No more following the meticulous, rigorous ways of the multitude of threads for solving network problem.
Last edited by bkpsusmitaa on 2020-07-22 10:38, edited 3 times in total.
Freedom is impossible to conceive.
Books that help:
Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends And Influence People and Emilie Post's Etiquette In Society, In Business, In Politics, And At Home

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Solved] Re-install Wired Network and more ...

#2 Post by p.H »

bkpsusmitaa wrote:Package dhclient is no longer available.
There is no dhclient package. The dhclient command is provided by the isc-dhcp-client package. This package is installed by default on any new installation. So it is present unless you uninstalled it.
bkpsusmitaa wrote:If you want NetworkManager to handle interfaces that are enabled in /etc/network/interfaces:
Set managed=true in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.
You don't want that. This is plain wrong and has issues. If you want NetworkManager to manage an interface, do not manage it (i.e. remove it completely) from /etc/network/interfaces and any sourced file.

bkpsusmitaa

Re: Reinstall Wired Network and more ...

#3 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

p.H wrote:There is no dhclient package. The dhclient command is provided by the isc-dhcp-client package. This package is installed by default on any new installation. So it is present unless you uninstalled it.
No package was uninstalled.
p.H wrote:You don't want that. This is plain wrong and has issues. If you want NetworkManager to manage an interface, do not manage it (i.e. remove it completely) from /etc/network/interfaces and any sourced file.
In that case, Debian should be contacted, as it was Debian Wiki page, link given, that was sincerely followed.

Thank you for your feedback. Your intent to offer help is appreciated.
Last edited by bkpsusmitaa on 2020-07-22 10:39, edited 2 times in total.
Books that help:
Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends And Influence People and Emilie Post's Etiquette In Society, In Business, In Politics, And At Home

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by p.H »

bkpsusmitaa wrote:In that case, Debian should be contacted, as it was Debian Wiki page, link given, that was sincerely followed.
No, the page is correct. Readers should read more carefully.
If you want NetworkManager to handle interfaces that are enabled in /etc/network/interfaces:
If and only if. Did you have a valid reason for keeping them enabled in /etc/network/interfaces ?

bkpsusmitaa

#5 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

p.H wrote:
bkpsusmitaa wrote:In that case, Debian should be contacted, as it was Debian Wiki page, link given, that was sincerely followed.
No, the page is correct. Readers should read more carefully.
If and only if. Did you have a valid reason for keeping them enabled in /etc/network/interfaces ?
See, Mr. p.H, I have already told you way back that you are an excellent teacher material. Which means that you have already been placed on a higher pedestal. But your were rarely available at the time in 2017. And my needs are minimal. Also, when you make observations, you should consider that you are teaching. If If means Iff then you are to explain the same to your listeners. Especially, when the issue has been solved.
So, please Fire. I would try to catch your line of reasoning. But you should also remember that the issue is considered solved.
If your plan could increase the Broadband speed by many times, I shall indeed be interested!

But to ask the obvious questions (after you have replied to the above points):
(1) How did you learn that the package dhclient is a command, not a package? (this is just a rhetorical question, as Synaptic would help find this answer. That is, dhclient searched with "Name and Description" shall yield isc-dhcp-common, and similarly, search with string isc-dhcp-common yields isc-dhcp-client)
(2) That the package is isc-dhcp-client? (also, semi-rhetorical; there are these dependencies, isc-dhcp-common, -client, -client-ddns and -relay. Then I have to search which among the three are installed in my system)
(3) That isc-dhcp-client with -common is installed during the system's installation? This query appears pertinent.

Even the man pages don't.

Okay, now to come back to the main issue: my executing ifconfig -a doesn't show eth0. It only displays enp1s0:, lo: and wlp2s0:

Question: How to restore eth0?

I reverted to "false" in

/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
and ran

# systemctl status networking.service
Salient outputs:
Process: 11810 ExecStart=/sbin/ifup -a --read-environment (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Process: 11805 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c [ "$CONFIGURE_INTERFACES" != "no" ] && [ -n "$(ifquery --read-enviro
Main PID: 11810 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
and
date-time-pcname removed systemd[1]: networking.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILU
date-time-pcname removed systemd[1]: Failed to start Raise network interfaces.
date-time-pcname removed systemd[1]: networking.service: Unit entered failed state.
date-time-pcname removed systemd[1]: networking.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

# ifconfig eth0 up
eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
Restored the eth0 using the advice from here:How to switch back networking to /etc/network/interfaces on Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa Linux
Steps:
1. change from current enp0s3 to old network interfaces naming convention eth0. To do so with administrative privileges edit the /etc/default/grub file and change the following line:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
TO:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0"

# sudo update-grub
, then reboot. It ruined my Debian menu-list, but it can be restored hopefully.

3. edit the /etc/network/interfaces file and set eth0 network interface to obtain the IP address from DHCP:
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
4. Restart eth0 interface:

#  sudo ifdown --force eth0

# sudo ifup eth0

# sudo ifconfig -a

sudo systemctl status networking.service
Ethernet eth0 is restored as "ifupdown (eth0)", but this appears cosmetic, not the natural "Wired connection 1" like in Debian Systems.
Query:
What difference does it make in naming the interface as eth0 or enp1s0?

Also, I checked my own laptop HP. There I confirmed that the line

[ifupdown]
    managed=false
has the 'false' switch.

So while installing the OS dhcp sets up these parameters. Then Query: how to get back the default params?

Solution:
Yes, SOLVED the problem of managing the network. Got the Default Parameters back. Made it unmanaged.
The process:
In the file:
/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
Made:

[ifupdown]
        managed=false
Then:

# sudo systemctl status networking.service
has only W-Fi connection left.

I then reinstalled the isc-dhcp-client with its accompanying -common packages and re-ran

# sudo dhclient eth0
Then,

# sudo ifconfig eth0 up
. I believe one could also run:

#  sudo ifdown --force eth0
and

# sudo ifup eth0
then

sudo systemctl status networking.service
Now the Network is restored but unmanaged by Network Manager. I reinstalled network-manager and network-manager-gnome. But only Wi-Fi can be handled by user (me) now. eth0 is unmanaged.

Now:
(1) How do I get back the default bubble Wired Connection 1 using left-click over Network Manager Gnome System Tray Icon?
(2) Then how can I switch OFF and ON the wired Connection from network-manager-gnome System Tray Icon?
This are the last mile questions.
Last edited by bkpsusmitaa on 2020-07-22 10:39, edited 2 times in total.
Books that help:

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by p.H »

bkpsusmitaa wrote:(1) How did you learn that the package dhclient is a command, not a package?
(2) That the package is isc-dhcp-client?
(3) That isc-dhcp-client with -common is installed during the system's installation?
I don't remember how I learned everything I know. Call it experience. I have been constantly using Debian for over 15 years.
bkpsusmitaa wrote:Even the man pages don't.
Man pages document commands, programs, config files... not how packages and the system are built.
bkpsusmitaa wrote:ifconfig -a doesn't show eth0. It only displays enp1s0:, lo: and wlp2s0:
This is due to a change in systemd-udevd (udev) which occured between jessie and stretch. By default it applies so-called "predictable" names. More about this at https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwa ... faceNames/

Beware that eth* names are not tied to a physical network interface and may change at each boot. Prior to stretch, udev used to dynamically create persistent name rules for each newly discovered interface based on the MAC address, but it doesn't any more.
bkpsusmitaa wrote:I reverted to "false" /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
This has nothing to do with interface names.
bkpsusmitaa wrote:Restored the eth0
Why didn't you just adjust /etc/network/interfaces with the new names instead ?
bkpsusmitaa wrote:Ethernet eth0 is restored as "ifupdown (eth0)", but this appears cosmetic, not the natural "Wired connection 1" like in Debian Systems.
"Wired connection 1" is not an interface name. It is a connection name in NetworkManager. A NetworkManager "connection" is not an interface, it is a set of parameters which are applied to an interface type (ethernet, wireless...).
bkpsusmitaa wrote:What difference does it make in naming the interface as eth0 or enp1s0?
eth0 may be assigned to a different ethernet interface (or wireless, depending on the driver) at each boot.

bkpsusmitaa wrote:Now the Network is restored but unmanaged by Network Manager. I reinstalled network-manager and network-manager-gnome. But only Wi-Fi can be handled by user (me) now. eth0 is unmanaged.
I'll say it again : if you want to manage an interface in NetworkManager, just remove it from /etc/network/interfaces and stop using ifconfig or ifup or dhclient on it.

bkpsusmitaa

#7 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

My hero, my teacher, Mr. p.H., why should an outstanding teacher speak so little? Your level of expertise and understanding is clearly beyond me. I haven't learnt Unix ever, as a course, or out of interest, structured or otherwise. I just jumped into Debian from Knoppix from Doze. Because I disliked the secretive proprietary ways of Doze and the applications there.

Now, to get to the issue:
p.H wrote:You don't want that (underlined by me, later referred to as Point1). This is plain wrong and has issues.
, Then
p.H wrote:If you want NetworkManager to manage an interface, do not manage it (i.e. remove it completely)(underlined by me, later referred to as Point2) from /etc/network/interfaces and any sourced file.
Then
p.H wrote:if you want to manage an interface in NetworkManager, just remove it (underlined by me, later referred to as Point3) from /etc/network/interfaces and stop using ifconfig or ifup or dhclient on it.
So considering what you meant by "that" of point1 is that I shouldn't set / replace the line in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.as ""managed=true", I have reverted to the old "false", after checking with my HP computer, as told earlier.
I find that this interfaces file is created from /etc/network/interfaces.d/setup
Now, the interfaces file has the line: "... For more information, see interfaces(5) ...". So this interfaces(5) file is reached by

man interfaces
. It is a long file, and without any fulcrum it is difficult for me to meander through those forests of texts.

Now to Point2 and Point3: Did you mean Interface by your use of it? In my HP laptop, I installed NetworkManager and it allows me manage the interfaces without my changing any files.
But comparing the file /etc/network/interfaces of the three computers, I find that the following lines in my Lenovo are extra. My query: Which binary has created these lines?

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
Again, Query: So are these two lines the culprit? Which binary has entered these two lines?
p.H wrote:"Wired connection 1" is not an interface name. It is a connection name in NetworkManager. A NetworkManager "connection" is not an interface, it is a set of parameters which are applied to an interface type (ethernet, wireless...).
Yes, understood that, but does NetworkManager determine this name setting? Considering that this is the default connection naming convention, how to revert to the normal ways of Debian with NetworkManager to "Wired connection 1" in my lenovo system?
I should elaborate:
By default, my HP laptop and the other laptop than the Lenovo has the connection name, "Wired Connection 1". How to get back the default connection name "Wired Connection 1'?
Last edited by bkpsusmitaa on 2020-07-22 10:40, edited 4 times in total.
Books that help:

sickpig

#8 Post by sickpig »

ref https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#NetworkManager

NetworkManager is configured through graphical interfaces, which are available for GNOME and KDE. Your wireless interface should not be referenced within Debian's /etc/network/interfaces file.

applicable for wired connections as well. You can just comment out all the lines in /etc/network/interfaces and either reboot or restart network manager service.

You should see the connection name then in the nm icon

bkpsusmitaa

#9 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

Thank you for this wiki link, Mr. Sickpig (what an alias!).
sickpig wrote:NetworkManager is configured through graphical interfaces, which are available for GNOME and KDE. Your wireless interface should not be referenced within Debian's /etc/network/interfaces file.

applicable for wired connections as well. You can just comment out all the lines in /etc/network/interfaces and either reboot or restart network manager service.

You should see the connection name then in the nm icon
Following your advice, I commented out everything within the concerned file, and it now looks as:

# auto lo
# iface lo inet loopback

#allow-hotplug eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp
But no change in the Network Manager's system tray appearance occurs.

Please let me follow one track, that of Mr. p.H and then after I have exhausted all options, I shall proceed to interact with you. Kindly apologise my ineptness, as I do absolutely have NO Unix background. I jumped to Debian from Knoppix, from Doze.
Last edited by bkpsusmitaa on 2020-07-22 10:40, edited 2 times in total.
Books that help:

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by p.H »

bkpsusmitaa wrote:Now to Point2 and Point3: Did you mean Interface by your use of it?
Yes.
bkpsusmitaa wrote:But comparing the file /etc/network/interfaces of the three computers, I find that the following lines in my Lenovo are extra. My query: Which binary has created these lines?
The Debian installer adds configuration in /etc/network/interfaces for the selected interface during the initial system installation, and removes it if network-manager is installed during the initial installation. But installing network-manager outside the Debian installer after the initial installation does not removes it.
bkpsusmitaa wrote:By default, my HP laptop and the other laptop than the Lenovo has the connection name, "Wired Connection 1". How to get back the default connection name "Wired Connection 1'?
I do not understand what is the issue. You can give a connection any name you like in NetworkManager. What is the current name ?

bkpsusmitaa

#11 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

Please Note that in both the laptops the WiFi system tray icon is now only cosmetic. Able to meter the WiFi signal strength via nm system tray applet, but doesn't access internet over wifi. Have checked repeatedly removing the LAN cable.

Following the suggestion of Mr. Sickpig to follow the Wiki page, WiFi/HowToUse, I went to the section, WiFi can scan, but not connect using NetworkManager (Debian 9 Stretch) and applied:
Write inside /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf:

[device]
wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no
Then, as advised, I restarted the network-manager with init.d.
But this step didn't provide any relief.
p.H wrote:The Debian installer adds configuration ... the initial installation does not removes it.
Thank you for this insight.
p.H wrote:I do not understand what is the issue. ...
Then it could be ensured that the system has been restored to its original condition. Kindly note these lines:
bkpsusmitaa wrote: but does NetworkManager determine this name setting? Considering that this is the default connection naming convention, how to revert to the normal ways of Debian with NetworkManager to "Wired connection 1" in my lenovo system?
One pertinent question: Could the Debian Installer's Network Set-up Wizard be run independently?
p.H wrote:...You can give a connection any name you like in NetworkManager...
How is this done by NetworkManager? You mean, a user could do it by right clicking on the system tray icon and edit connections and rename? But how does the system do it? I would want the system to restore its original state.
The pertinent question again: Could the Debian Installer's Network Set-up Wizard be run independently? I believe that this shall solve all the network setup issues automatically.
p.H wrote:...What is the current name ?
Inactive presently in Lenovo. With the lines:
Ethernet Network
device not managed
In HP or HCL, it is manageable by user:
Ethernet Network
Wired Connection 1
disconnect
Kindly also address my other lines:
bkpsusmitaa wrote: But comparing the file /etc/network/interfaces of the three computers, I find that the following lines in my Lenovo are extra. My query: Which binary has created these lines?
Last edited by bkpsusmitaa on 2020-07-22 10:41, edited 2 times in total.
Books that help:

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#12 Post by p.H »

bkpsusmitaa wrote:Could the Debian Installer's Network Set-up Wizard be run independently?
I'm afraid not.
bkpsusmitaa wrote:You mean, a user could do it by right clicking on the system tray icon and edit connections and rename? But how does the system do it?
It doesn't. The system does not care about fancy connection names. Only the user does.
bkpsusmitaa wrote:Ethernet Networkdevice not managed
This is not a connection name but a status indicating that NetworkManager won't manage the Ethernet interface.
What is the current contents of /etc/network/interfaces, any file present in /etc/network/interfaces.d/,

cat /etc/network/interfaces{,.d/*}
in any other directory listed in a "source-directory" statement and any file listed in a "source" statement ?
bkpsusmitaa wrote:But comparing the file /etc/network/interfaces of the three computers, I find that the following lines in my Lenovo are extra. My query: Which binary has created these lines?
I already replied that the Debian installer did. I don't know exactly which executable is responsible for this. Something related to netcfg I guess. You can have a look at the installation log in /var/log/installer/syslog.

PS:
bkpsusmitaa wrote:# auto lo
# iface lo inet loopback
The loopback interface setup should not be commented out.

bkpsusmitaa

#13 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

Removing the [Solved] tag.
p.H wrote:The system does not care about fancy connection names ...
But at least network-manager is. Otherwise, I wouldn't get default names like Wired connection 1 and so on.
p.H wrote:This is not a connection name but a status indicating that NetworkManager won't manage the Ethernet interface.
Yes, yes, true. Please forgive my composition.
p.H wrote:What is the current contents of /etc/network/interfaces, any file present in /etc/network/interfaces.d/,
Had informed earlier:
bkpsusmitaa wrote:I find that this interfaces file is created from /etc/network/interfaces.d/setup
p.H wrote:... in any other directory listed in a "source-directory" statement and any file listed in a "source" statement ?
Didn't understand as to what is directed. However,
(1) filename "source":
./etc/apt:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 698 Jun 28 16:27 sources.list
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Sep 9 2019 sources.list.d
./etc/apt/sources.list.d: nothing
./etc/X11/Xresources:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 20 18:09 source.txt
./lib/modules/4.9.0-11-686/kernel/drivers/clocksource:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 38 Mar 22 11:03 source -> /usr/src/linux-headers-4.9.0-11-common
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 278 Aug 15 2019 source_pulseaudio.py
./usr/lib/libreoffice/program/resource:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 571 Apr 26 2017 source.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1599 Apr 26 2017 source.xml.xsl
./usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/_vendor/__pycache__:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 628 Nov 24 2016 source_audacity.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 546 Jul 13 2017 source_evince.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3782 Jun 12 2019 source_grub2.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2738 Dec 10 2016 source_libfm.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1587 Apr 16 2017 source_libmtp.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2402 Jan 25 2017 source_lxappearance.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1638 Feb 21 2016 source_lxinput.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1868 Feb 21 2016 source_lxlauncher.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2076 Jan 21 2017 source_lxpanel.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1215 Feb 21 2016 source_lxrandr.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1643 May 9 2017 source_lxterminal.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4168 Apr 2 2014 source_mtdev.py
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Mar 22 11:05 source_pcmanfm.py -> source_libfm.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 278 Jun 18 2017 source_pulseaudio.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 437 Mar 9 2017 source_synaptic.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 465 Jan 18 2019 sources.list
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5524 Oct 25 2016 source.data.gz
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar 22 11:05 source
./usr/share/doc/python-pkg-resources:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 894 Jul 20 2016 source-code-management.txt
./usr/share/ghostscript/9.26/Resource/SubstCID:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8867 Jan 18 2019 sources.list.5.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8706 Jan 18 2019 sources.list.5.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8349 Jan 18 2019 sources.list.5.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8709 Jan 18 2019 sources.list.5.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7414 Jan 18 2019 sources.list.5.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8790 Jan 18 2019 sources.list.5.gz
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Mar 22 11:07 source.1.gz -> builtins.1.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3293 Apr 5 2017 source.3tcl.gz
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Mar 22 11:07 source.1.gz -> builtins.1.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3294 Apr 5 2017 source.3tcl.gz
./usr/src/linux-headers-4.9.0-11-686-pae/include/config/clocksource/validate/last:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Sep 2 2019 source.h
(2) Filename "source-directory"
None

(3) File content "source": Do you want me to execute:

grep -rw "source" /etc
only?
Only one file with network and source:
/etc/network/interfaces:source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

(4) File content "source-directory": Do you want me to execute:

grep -rw "source-directory" /etc
only?
None.

Please advise.
p.H wrote:... Something related to netcfg I guess. You can have a look at the installation log in /var/log/installer/syslog. ...
Yes, checked. netcfg it is. So why is a Network Installer Wizard not available? There is a package named debian-installer-launcher, but not for live systems. However, I found the developers' email-id. I shall request them to create one.
p.H wrote:The loopback interface setup should not be commented out.
Okay. Removed commenting.

Installed wpa-gui and found that wpa-supplicant can't scan and find anything. So the issue appears serious. I am surprised that I can still use LAN after all these from either of the two computers.

Debian Live LXDE iso is to be blamed for all these problems. Why not include network-manager rather than wicd? How much space it could save?
Last edited by bkpsusmitaa on 2020-07-22 10:41, edited 2 times in total.
Books that help:

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Re-install Wired Network and more ...

#14 Post by p.H »

"source-directory" and "source" statements present in /etc/network/interfaces and recursively any sourced file.

Head_on_a_Stick

#15 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

p.H wrote:
bkpsusmitaa wrote:# auto lo
# iface lo inet loopback
The loopback interface setup should not be commented out.
Actually ifupdown autoconfigures the loopback interface and has done for some time: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... =%23709378

Not that it needs to because systemd does that earlier in the boot process: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob ... ck-setup.c
bkpsusmitaa wrote:So why is a Network Installer Wizard not available?
If you want a (curses-based) "wizard" for /etc/network/interfaces then check out grml-network (also needs grml-etc-core). I'm sure the Debian developers have better things to do with their time than pander to your inane requests.
deadbang

bkpsusmitaa

#16 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

p.H wrote:"source-directory" and "source" statements present in /etc/network/interfaces and recursively any sourced file.
Didn't understand, as I thought about this line you wrote.
I shall state what I understood. I see that the /etc/network has the following directories and files:
/etc/network/
├── if-down.d
│   ├── avahi-autoipd
│   ├── resolvconf
│   ├── upstart
│   └── wpasupplicant -> ../../wpa_supplicant/ifupdown.sh
├── if-post-down.d
│   ├── avahi-daemon -> ../if-up.d/avahi-daemon
│   ├── wireless-tools
├── if-pre-up.d
│   ├── wireless-tools
├── if-up.d
│   ├── 000resolvconf
│   ├── avahi-autoipd
│   ├── avahi-daemon
│   ├── upstart
├── interfaces
└── interfaces.d
..... └── setup

5 directories, 16 files
The etc/network/interfaces has the line: source /etc/network/interfaces.d/* But where is the source-directory line?

The working portion of the /etc/network/interfaces file:

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

#allow-hotplug eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp 
So do I need to uncomment the auto lo line also?

Further, the interfaces.d/* directory has only one file, which is setup. The file contains the following lines:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
In Knoppix there is not even the file setup, as it is already pre-configured.

So my query: what is the role of this file, setup, in an already set up and running system and networking?
Last edited by bkpsusmitaa on 2020-07-22 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
Books that help:

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Re-install Wired Network and more ...

#17 Post by p.H »

bkpsusmitaa wrote:The etc/network/interfaces has the line: source /etc/network/interfaces.d/* But where is the source-directory line?
It may be present in /etc/network/interfaces and any sourced file. But it is not present in your /etc/network/interfaces so just ignore it.
bkpsusmitaa wrote:

# auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
You should not configure the loopback interface and not make it auto at the same time. Either do not configure it at all (and use ifupdown internal configuration) or configure it and make it auto.
bkpsusmitaa wrote:what is the role of this file, setup, in an already set up and running system and networking?
It has the same role as /etc/network/interfaces, as it is sourced by the "source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*" statement.
I do not know what created it, I read reports like yours but I have never seen it on any of my installations of Debian.
Just remove that file and restart network-manager.

bkpsusmitaa

#18 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

Good news first.
I rebooted the Lenovo desktop without the LAN cable jack and the wlan0 network booted up nicely. So let us now leave Lenovo aside for a while.
p.H wrote:
bkpsusmitaa wrote:The etc/network/interfaces has the line: source /etc/network/interfaces.d/* But where is the source-directory line?
It may be present in /etc/network/interfaces and any sourced file. But it is not present in your /etc/network/interfaces so just ignore it.
Okay. Shall ignore.
p.H wrote:You should not configure the loopback interface and not make it auto at the same time. Either do not configure it at all (and use ifupdown internal configuration) or configure it and make it auto.
Didn't understand the idea, Where am I configuring the loopback interface? Could you please illustrate the part
p.H wrote:You should not configure the loopback interface ...
with code please?
p.H wrote:
bkpsusmitaa wrote:what is the role of this file, setup, in an already set up and running system and networking?
It has the same role as /etc/network/interfaces, as it is sourced by the "source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*" statement.
I do not know what created it, I read reports like yours but I have never seen it on any of my installations of Debian.
Just remove that file and restart network-manager.
Shall forget about the file.

Now we shall shift our focus back to HP wlan0. And make it functional gradually over next few days.

So let us shift our attention temporarily to [but let us not post there] the following Post where I have already taken a comparative list of outputs for relevant codes in both Knoppix and Debian:
Some issues with HP laptop, Broadcom Wireless chip BCM431*

I find that there is a problem in Debian with the output from the code:

#  dmesg | grep -e "IPv6"
whereas the said output from the same code is very simple in Knoppix 8.6.1. Could this be the cause of some problem?

I read the section: 5.6.7. The wireless LAN interface with WPA/WPA2. I have checked Knoppix set up, but there is no such entries on /etc/network/interfaces. In fact, Knoppix entry on the file, /etc/network/interfaces is simpler than that of Debian. Just the following lines:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
Furthernore, the wpagui in Knoppix is also as invalid as it is in Debian.

I also tried

#  sudo wpa_supplicant -B -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -iwlan0
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
Failed to open config file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf', error: No such file or directory
Failed to read or parse configuration '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'.
There are a lot of files available, including wpa_supplicant.conf.gz, /media/sda7/usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/examples and /usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/README.modes.gz, but I don't think that i have the ability to comprehend these help files. I also have reasons to believe that these files aren't required, since Knoppix is simple enough.

So please advise.

Later:
I believe that I have found a direction to a solution.

The help file of network-admin shows four tabs. They are as follows:
Connections
Shows all network interfaces, it also allows you to modify their settings.
General
Allows you to modify your system host name and domain name.
DNS
Contains two sections, the DNS servers are what your computer use for resolving the IP addresses from the domain names. The search domains are the default domains in which your system will search any host when no domain is specified.
Hosts
Shows the list of aliases for accessing other computers.
While my installation of network-manager has only three tabs. Except Connections. This is one identification of a problem.

I have installed three packages of Network Manager.
They are as follows: network-manager, network-manager-gnome, and network-manager-config-connectivity-debian

I write on the root terminal, nm-connection-editor. and on the window opened, I set up the wifi for my wifi device and post the password for the wifi device.

What I figured out is that the nm-applet is working in user mode, not in administrative mode. When it is run it asks for password and when posted, it creates a duplicate of the same wifi connection, with the digit 1 appended with the connection name. However, somehow, this user-level nm-applet can't access the connection. Nor can the nm-applet, opened through root terminal.

So here lies the problems.
Books that help: