Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 10 - wine32 just does not want to install.

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ntekniklaus

Debian 10 - wine32 just does not want to install.

#1 Post by ntekniklaus »

Running Debian 10 with the kernel upgraded to 5.5.0-0.bpo.2-amd64. I have had so much trouble trying to get the Wine32 package onto here. Normal 64 bit wine is installed but requires the 32 package in order to run 32 bit programs, and that's where problems come in. Running sudo apt install wine32 gives me this:
ntek@ntek-com1:~$ sudo apt install wine32
[sudo] password for ntek:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state i
nformation... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
wine32:i386 : Depends: libwine:i386 (= 4.0-2) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
As for libwine:i386,
ntek@ntek-com1:~$ sudo apt install libwine:i386
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libwine:i386 : Depends: libvkd3d1:i386 (>= 1.0) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libvulkan1:i386 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
So on, so forth, going down the line.

I added the i386 architecture with dpkg, fix-broken with apt, tried installing it with aptitude, and synaptic shows no broken packages. I'm not sure where to go from here.

At one point I tried using the bullseye repo as well as the official WINE. winehq-stable requires some packages like libfaudio which are in the Bullseye repo, which is why I went with it. Now those repos have been remove as they didn't work but not even the default ones will do their thing

Deb-fan

Re: Debian 10 - wine32 just does not want to install.

#2 Post by Deb-fan »

Hmm, think Debian is gently though firmly trying to tell you to use a virtual machine if poss for whatever you're trying to do vs a crappy, buggy mess like wine. You should be grateful to Debian in this and much else. :P
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

ntekniklaus

#3 Post by ntekniklaus »

Well, I did grab VMware Workstation and give it a try, installed 10 LTSC and gave this one MMO a try with quite a bit of lag. Just gotta find a way to boost the VMs speed.

Deb-fan

#4 Post by Deb-fan »

Ah ... so you aren't clueless and asleep at the wheel. No wonder Debian apparently like you. :)

If whatever you're doing is appropriate, maybe try going deeper down the rabbit hole in search of better VM performance. Things like Kvm and real hypervisor's. Only a thought but seen it stated and do believe a real hypervisor, setup right can get within 2% of the performance of software installed on bare metal. Haven't yet had the chance to explore Kvm much but things like this have amazing potential.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

k829king

#5 Post by k829king »

ntekniklaus wrote:
Running Debian 10 with the kernel upgraded to 5.5.0-0.bpo.2-amd64.
How did you install the kernel upgrade?

I only ask because I upgraded mine from instructions I followed that involved buster-backports and since then I ended up with a mixture of packages from stable and backports, and adding new packages sometimes requires adding from backports not stable

Code: Select all

sudo apt-cache show libpcap0.8:amd64 libpcap0.8:i386
sudo apt-cache policy libpcap0.8:amd64 libpcap0.8:i386
sudo apt-get install -t buster-backports libpcap0.8

ntekniklaus

#6 Post by ntekniklaus »

Apologies, for the late reply. I'm on a reinstalled Debian and am starting to think wine32 and Steam are conflicting, as Steam requires the i386 Nvidia/OpenGL libraries that wine32 already has. Now to just figure out another way to get WINE onto here.

Mr. Lumbergh

#7 Post by Mr. Lumbergh »

ntekniklaus wrote:Apologies, for the late reply. I'm on a reinstalled Debian and am starting to think wine32 and Steam are conflicting, as Steam requires the i386 Nvidia/OpenGL libraries that wine32 already has. Now to just figure out another way to get WINE onto here.
Are you on Stable or Testing? I ran into this problem also on Testing, and I absolutely need wine32, so it was one of those things that led me back to Stable.
This is good info though, someone else is having the same issue currently.