Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

The only answer you need...

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
neuraleskimo

The only answer you need...

#1 Post by neuraleskimo »

If that doesn't work, reboot and install Windows. Then your problems won't seem so bad. Plus, always remember that in some parallel universe your hardware is supported and you have Debian running perfectly! ;-)

Felt like a little humor today.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: The only answer you need...

#2 Post by CwF »

...maybe if more people invested in a healthy babelfish from a certified breeder, debian wouldn't seem so cryptic.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#3 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

neuraleskimo wrote:If that doesn't work, reboot and install Windows
Corrupted Winblows registry :lol:
Win10 hangs after waking from sleep -> disable power saving mode :lol:
Forbes: Windows 10 users continue to suffer from problem after problem...

Indeed a good joke...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

If there are infinite universes, then there has to be a Hellverse worse than our current one where installing Windows is indeed the answer.
MX Linux packager and developer

neuraleskimo

#5 Post by neuraleskimo »

stevepusser wrote:If there are infinite universes, then there has to be a Hellverse worse than our current one where installing Windows is indeed the answer.
LOL! +6.022x10^23

That's the one with MS Linux! Oh, wait that that might be the future after MS buys Canonical...uhm...crap!

sickpig

#6 Post by sickpig »

neuraleskimo wrote:That's the one with MS Linux! Oh, wait that that might be the future after MS buys Canonical...uhm...crap!
MS Windows is pretty soon going to transform from "Windows subsystem for Linux" into MS Linux with a subsystem for Windows.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by sunrat »

sickpig wrote:MS Windows is pretty soon going to transform from "Windows subsystem for Linux" into MS Linux with a subsystem for Windows.
That sounds like a joke but I did see it reported on Slashdot the other day. I have fears for Linux if MS becomes a major contributor to the kernel. They already contribute a small but significant amount of code. Undoubtedly someone will fork it so there's a Linux sans "Linux subsystem for Windows".
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

sickpig

#8 Post by sickpig »

MS Azure has majority of Linux instances since ages. MS is submitting Linux kernel changes to better suit their Azure hypervisors to support ever increasing demand for Linux focussed HPC and general computing requirements.

MS is making heaps of money off of Linux. AWS and Google public clouds are heavily linux focussed. Google even uses their own Debian based OS internally.

I would be least surprised if in the comming years MS in the interest of making more money switch to linux and provide a portability hypervisor for windows based workloads.

MS mantra here is if you can't beat them join them.

edit - MS has publicly admitted Linux dominance in Azure in various articles

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

sunrat wrote:I have fears for Linux if MS becomes a major contributor to the kernel.
They were in the top five for kernel contributions for a few years running a while back and they are currently a Platinum member of the Linux Foundation.

Posted from OpenBSD :mrgreen:
deadbang

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#10 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:They were in the top five for kernel contributions for a few years running a while back and they are currently a Platinum member of the Linux Foundation.
That's true, but excluding improved support for MS hypervisors, they are mostly polluting the kernel with useless (and often just stupid) "extensions".
It looks like they are porting shitty solutions (interfaces) from Windows kernel to Linux kernel - so I suppose that Mr sickpig is right - they are heading to MS Linux.
A particularly good example is trampfd

Clearly Microsoft engineers are morons, who don't understand even the basics of system design - that's why they have "invented" trampfd, which basically delegates security measures from kernel to applications.
In no words I can express how stupid this solution is - but if someone wonders why there are at least 300 new viruses spawned for MS Winblows each single day, then the above may shed some light...

But even more worrying fact is, that Linux Foundation ignores what the members are doing in technical aspects, as long as they're paying for Platinum Memebership.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."

golinux

#11 Post by golinux »

Where is Linus when we need him . . . a victim of cancel culture . . .
May the FORK be with you!

sickpig

#12 Post by sickpig »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:so I suppose that Mr sickpig is right - they are heading to MS Linux.
In installments. First one being delivered soon -

golinux

#13 Post by golinux »

That logo looks like a tsunami wave coming in . . . I guess that's the "extinguish" meme.
May the FORK be with you!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Post by sunrat »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: That's true, but excluding improved support for MS hypervisors, they are mostly polluting the kernel with useless (and often just stupid) "extensions".
That's exactly the "fears for Linux" I mentioned above.
Embrace, extend, extinguish. It would apply to their incompetence just as well as historical commercial malfeasances.
Is it possible or too late to fork a non-MS Linux kernel? Or is BSD going to be the popular FOSS choice for those who care in the future? I'm certainly starting to consider it although I don't think it supports many of the Linux music production applications I currently use.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

sickpig

#15 Post by sickpig »

golinux wrote:That logo looks like a tsunami wave coming in . . . I guess that's the "extinguish" meme.
That's the plan. First port your major applications like vscode, edge and before you know it MS Linux is a living, breathing thing.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#16 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

sunrat wrote:Is it possible or too late to fork a non-MS Linux kernel? Or is BSD going to be the popular FOSS choice for those who care in the future?
Technically, this is possible - but I doubt that any distro would dare to "take a lead" of kernel development ...
BSD kernels have a probem with SMP performance - it will take years for them to catch the Linux kernel in that aspect ...

Unfortunately I don't have a good answer...

stevepusser

#17 Post by stevepusser »

The kernel configuration is really flexible. Can't any "features" you don't want just not be enabled?
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#18 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:BSD kernels have a probem with SMP performance
DragonFly BSD fares pretty well for SMP support (although it's still not as good as Linux in that respect): https://www.dragonflybsd.org/performance/

And anyway performance isn't everything :)
deadbang

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#19 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:BSD kernels have a probem with SMP performance
DragonFly BSD fares pretty well for SMP support (although it's still not as good as Linux in that respect): https://www.dragonflybsd.org/performance/

And anyway performance isn't everything :)
I disagree - the performance is the key factor - it defines the MIPS per Watt factor (thus the energy consumption/savings), but what is probably more important - the performance of SMP-dependant applications, which are becoming ubiquitous nowadays.

Perfect SMP scaling means the lowest possible energy/shortest time needed to perform an SMP tasks - and AFAIN BSD kernels can't assure that correlated (bound to a single process) SMP context switching will happen in a very short or nearly zero-time time window - that's the main problem (but I think that BSD developers could port the solutions used in Linux kernel - they are relatively simple).

I think that Linux kernel development slowly but inevitably changes the direction from a "robust code" to a "corporate code" - where the only counting aspects are the version numbers and the number of patches... (Quality Assurance is too expensive ...)

I'm seriously considering Haiku and BSD kernels a the future of Free, High Quality kernels, because those projects are not polluted by the corporate code monkeys and their shitty code ...

Hurd is not an option as for now, because f.e. it lacks a support for commonly used filesystems, and additionally I don't think that it will be able to become a serious alternative to Linux kernel without having an option to use proprietary firmware...

sickpig

#20 Post by sickpig »

GNU Guix can be an option as it uses libre kernel which I believe does not include proprietary bits in it.