Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Sudo or not sudo?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Islander

Re: Sudo or not sudo?

#41 Post by Islander »

Dai_trying wrote:I can't directly answer your question but I just wanted to point out that sudo is the default if you do not enter a root password when installing.
I've been using Debian on and off for a decade or two, and I had no idea you could do that!

Thanks!

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#42 Post by oswaldkelso »

I don't use sudo but I do have the lighter and simpler "doas" utility on my Gentoo machine. I couldn't see a package on Debian but no doubt one will exist.

https://github.com/slicer69/doas
https://i-bsd.com/doas/
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

Head_on_a_Stick

#43 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

oswaldkelso wrote:I couldn't see a package on Debian but no doubt one will exist
Unfortunately not, I've checked all the WNPP lists :(

I have packaged it up myself but I'm not comfortable sharing such a security-critical application — my packaging skills are not the best, sadly.
deadbang

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#44 Post by Hallvor »

I haven't used sudo since my Ubuntu days, some 14 years ago. I tried sudo again today on a "new" computer, using the command "sudo su -" to enter the root environment with the user password. I like it so far.

Edit: Came across this. Are the points still valid?

https://www.openwall.com/lists/owl-users/2004/10/20/6
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

edbarx

#45 Post by edbarx »

People communicate using words grammatically arranged in sentences, paragraphs, chapters and even books. Yet, some peope find it difficult to use a textual command in a terminal! I cannot understand, struggling with a maze of graphical windows is harder to me, especially, those 'new age' little images, which expect users to remember what they stand for. Using a dumb-phone, err no, a smart-phone, is one such glaring example. Humanity has evolved to use languages, use those. However, it seems, the whole world is at full speed to go back to when it only communcated using body movements and images.

Sorry, I cannot understand this perverted form of progress.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#46 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Hi edbarx - it's good to see that You're still around ;)

1. I was really surprised when for the first time I've reviewed the sudo program code - it is unbelievably big and complex program.
IMO using sudo is far more safe than direct usage of root account, f.e. because by default it limits the time for password-less access with root privileges.

2. The UINX language (IMO) is the most advanced method for users to interact with the computer. The problem is, just like in case of any other foreign language, that the users have to learn it.
Most of people are *not* willing to use command line interface, because they don't know the UNIX philosophy: knowing only a few tens of "words" from the UNIX language allows to "ask" the system to do just anything, starting from listing directory entries and ending with complex OS queries, similarly to what SQL offers -> the only limit for the query content is the user's imagination.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed