Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Booting problem

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
HindicatoR

Booting problem

#1 Post by HindicatoR »

Hey,
I've installed debian version 10.7 on my old laptop, and removed everything on my disk before.
for some reason debian booting in to blinking black screen, only if I press CTRL+Shift+F3 it gives me the boot menu.
I'm stuck on this for weeks.

On the same opportunity,
I'm looking to buy a new laptop(DOS) to install debian as mainOS.
I'm wandering between lenovo IdeaPad 5 15ITL05 and ThinkPad L15,
Already got an answer saying that the L15 is already tested and works fine but it comes preinstalled with windows while the ideapad isn't plus he has a nicer hardware specifications.
Any suggestions on the laptop? could be another company as well..
THANK YOU VERY MUCH GUYS!

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Booting problem

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

HindicatoR wrote:for some reason debian booting in to blinking black screen, only if I press CTRL+Shift+F3 it gives me the boot menu.
Read the relevant thread linked from the "Frequently Asked Questions" post in the HowTo section.
HindicatoR wrote:I'm wandering between lenovo IdeaPad 5 15ITL05 and ThinkPad L15
I would go for the L15 but make sure you buy the AMD version (4750U), Intel make garbage processors. It's slightly slower than the 4800U in the IdeaPad but the build quality is better and the keyboard is peerless.

The only caveat is that buster is a bit old now for such a new machine. You could try bullseye instead, it's just entered the transition freeze this week so it should be fairly stable now and it will only get better as it is developed for the Debian 11 release.
deadbang

HindicatoR

#4 Post by HindicatoR »

arochester wrote:
debian booting in to blinking black screen
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=142974 ?
Unfortunately, I did try that,
I didn't say GUI didn't work, just that it didn't boot automatically.
I power on the machine, the screen is black and blinking, I press CTRL+ALT+F3 and run debian while everything smooth. after that everything works just fine.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
HindicatoR wrote:for some reason debian booting in to blinking black screen, only if I press CTRL+Shift+F3 it gives me the boot menu.
Read the relevant thread linked from the "Frequently Asked Questions" post in the HowTo section.
HindicatoR wrote:I'm wandering between lenovo IdeaPad 5 15ITL05 and ThinkPad L15
I would go for the L15 but make sure you buy the AMD version (4750U), Intel make garbage processors. It's slightly slower than the 4800U in the IdeaPad but the build quality is better and the keyboard is peerless.

The only caveat is that buster is a bit old now for such a new machine. You could try bullseye instead, it's just entered the transition freeze this week so it should be fairly stable now and it will only get better as it is developed for the Debian 11 release.
Will check right now.
The only problem is that my country doesn't have a large model supply (Israel),

Btw, what a quick respond guys.. thanks.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Wrong [FAQ]. Try another.
deadbang

HindicatoR

#6 Post by HindicatoR »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Wrong [FAQ]. Try another.
Solved. :D