No graphical logon screen after install

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian
Kerlaugar

No graphical logon screen after install

#1 Post by Kerlaugar »

Hello all,

I just installed Debian Testing on a system. Installation seemed successful, but I do not end up in a graphical logon screen. I installed LXQT instead of Gnome (there were some missing firmware warnings, but I think only WiFi/Bluetooth related).

The boot process ends with

[OK] Started Simple Desktop Display Manager
[OK] Started Authorization Manager

And then, it simply does nothing and these are the last entries that show up on the screen. The system also doesn't provide a commandline interface (no prompt anyway). I don't think anything went wrong during the installation. I expected that installing LXQT would also result in the installation of all components to enable a graphical interface, including a login manager.

I can login using SSH, so that works. Are there specific log files I should check? Or should I still install a graphical login manager or switch it on or so?

CwF

Re: No graphical logon screen after install

#2 Post by CwF »

Check all the tty's <Ctrl><ALT><F1> thru F7

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Please read the Frequently Asked Questions thread in the HowTo section.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support

Kerlaugar

#4 Post by Kerlaugar »

Hi there,

Thanks for your replies!

Indeed, I should've read the FAQ in the howto section, because that was spot on. I missed that in my search, so I need to search more thoroughly next time (and perhaps always start with the FAQ). Anyway, I now have the required non-free drivers and the system is up and running.

Thanks!