Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Does Debian work on Intel AX200?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
haowenl

Does Debian work on Intel AX200?

#1 Post by haowenl »

I have an AX200 internet card and the Debian installer does not recognize it. I saw someone suggesting this might work: https://github.com/Head-on-a-Stick/newer-buster.

Will it work and is it safe (official)?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Does Debian work on Intel AX200?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

It's not official but it should work for an AX200.

I'll update the image this weekend.

EDIT: you can clone the repository and build the image yourself on another machine if you prefer:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install git live-build
git clone https://github.com/Head-on-a-Stick/newer-buster.git
cd newer-buster
sudo lb clean --purge
lb config
sudo lb build
deadbang

haowenl

#3 Post by haowenl »

Thank you for confirming!

But I'm new to Debian so: am I better off with stable and some backported kernel modules or should I just go with testing in the first place?

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

The usual advice is to stick with the stable release, you only need the backported kernel & firmware-iwlwifi package. But having said that Debian testing has recently entered the freeze stage and should be released as Debian 11 fairly soon (in a few months) so that might be a better choice now. There will still be some bugs to iron out in bullseye though.
deadbang

haowenl

#5 Post by haowenl »

Thanks for explaining this!

So if I go with testing now and when it becomes the new stable, I don't need to do anything to update right? If that's the case, I think I would go with testing for now.

Bulkley

#6 Post by Bulkley »

haowenl wrote:So if I go with testing now and when it becomes the new stable, I don't need to do anything to update right? If that's the case, I think I would go with testing for now.
As long as your sources.list points to bullseye you will migrate to the new Stable. If your sources.list points to testing you will migrate to the new Testing when Bullseye becomes Stable. Got that?

haowenl

#7 Post by haowenl »

Got it! You make my migration to Debian so much easier!

haowenl

#8 Post by haowenl »

I tried to install Bullseye with an installer I found here: https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/. This is what I see:

EDIT: I don't know how to get images to work. Here is the message:
Some of your hardware needs non-free firmware files to operate. The firmware can be loaded from removable media....
The missing firmware files are: regulatory.db, iwlwifi-cc-.....[and many more files starting with iwlwifi].

Where should I go get those proprietory files? Or should I not use a netintaller?

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

Bulkley

#10 Post by Bulkley »

haowenl wrote:Where should I go get those proprietory files? Or should I not use a netintaller?
Can you build a functioning system that goes on the Internet? If so, just continue. Add non-free to your sources.list like this:

Code: Select all

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main contrib non-free
Adjust as per your source.

Do an apt update and then install firmware-iwlwifi . The firmware is just proprietary blobs that assist your hardware drivers. Add any that look like you need .

As an alternative there are some unofficial install packages that include the non free. Also you can download a package of nonfree and stick it on a USB drive and add it when the installer asks for it. Do some searching on this site; your question has been asked many times.

haowenl

#11 Post by haowenl »

I just downloaded the CD with firmware and tried it (took quite some time). But it still complains not finding the firmware.
This is weird because I have verified that the firmware-iwlwifi deb file is safe and intact on my USB. Is there any place I can find more debug info on this?

haowenl

#12 Post by haowenl »

Also, this card is the only way my current system can connect to the internet. I guess I have to find a way to install this driver during system install.

arid

#13 Post by arid »

Since I've done several installs with the firmware included lately I know it all works.

These used the lowly/ancient stable version that will never see the inside of my computers, but that's common sense. :mrgreen:

I don't understand why you are looking at the firmware on USB as it is included on your full install.

Does it not ask you to confirm your acceptance of the non-free firmware?
There's no drama in my sid......

haowenl

#14 Post by haowenl »

Interesting, I don't think it ever asks me that. Maybe I'm using the wrong image. The file name for me is: firmware-bullseye-DI-alpha3-amd64-DVD-1.iso. Does it look right?

EDIT: I also tried the netinstall version: firmware-bullseye-DI-alpha3-amd64-netinst.iso. It stills want me to provide firmware through USB.

haowenl

#15 Post by haowenl »

So should I just provide firmware through another USB? Do I just put the firmware-iwlwifi deb file into a USB and plug it in?

arid

#16 Post by arid »

This is where I got my stable installs.

You know it really hurts for me to be involved with stable. :mrgreen:

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... 64/iso-cd/
There's no drama in my sid......

haowenl

#17 Post by haowenl »

I got it working using dd. I might be flashing it in a wrong format.

Thanks so much for everyone's help!