Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Buster Memory [Solved]

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
millpond

Buster Memory [Solved]

#1 Post by millpond »

Running Buster 10.9 on an ancient Opteron C2D.
The issue I am having is that memory usage steadily climbs when doing file transfers in both mc and doublecmd, and only slowly comes down when aborted. After only a a few gigs it starts to throttle the machine while filling up RAM and Swap.

This does not happen on the Win7 boot, so I assume something is awry with Debian or kernel (4.19).

In Debian there is no issue with Net transfers. Only with disk to disk.

I was wondering if there are any daemons can cause (or alleviate) the issue. I have 'and' installed, but it doesnt seem to do much, and the cpu doesnt seem overstressed during the file transfers.
I have been installing alot of libs recently in an attempt to reconstitute a crashed large development system, and these might have pulled some garbage in with them during install.

Now there IS one possible issue that aggrivate the situation.
I installed the system from a 10.9 live boot disk. All went well. Added some utils directly from the debian repo, and then mirrored the repo with apt-mirror. The problem is that it used an older mirror list that was in /bin and not the one I had modified in /etc/apt. The old mirror list was set for Sid, but it wasnt long before I found and fixed the problem.

Other than a temproary problem with Webkit, I have seen no real issues from it (except possibly above), but if any do occur - is there any simple methods to downgrade a package these days?
I can hack /var/lib/dpkg if necessary....
Last edited by millpond on 2021-05-28 21:49, edited 1 time in total.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Buster Memory

#2 Post by sunrat »

millpond wrote: Other than a temproary problem with Webkit, I have seen no real issues from it (except possibly above), but if any do occur - is there any simple methods to downgrade a package these days?
You can force a specific version. I did it recently for Ardour where an older version from a 3rd party repo was being installed as it had a "2" prefix rather than "1" int the Bullseye version causing it to be preferred. Then you can use apt pinning or apt-mark hold to prevent automatic replacement. You need to specify the exact version and may or may not have difficult dependency issues to deal with. Like so:

Code: Select all

apt install ardour=1:6.5.0+ds0-1
apt-mark hold ardour
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

millpond

#3 Post by millpond »

The problem I am looking at is *getting rid* of the newer versions from Bullseye and replacing them with Buster 10.9. Preferably on an automatic basis.

I just dont know for sure what packages are involved.

So say I have foo-11.0 installed. I want to replace it with foo-10.9.
Synaptic doesnt seem to like downgrades!

I would normally do an update these days from backports or from source (and if possible, toss into /opt).

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

millpond wrote:Synaptic doesnt seem to like downgrades!
It will!
When you have all choices available in sources, then use 'Force Version' under the 'Package' menu.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by p.H »

millpond wrote:The issue I am having is that memory usage steadily climbs when doing file transfers in both mc and doublecmd, and only slowly comes down when aborted. After only a a few gigs it starts to throttle the machine while filling up RAM and Swap.
It is normal that the page cache size increases during file transfer. Did you try to lower vm.swappiness to give a lower priority to the page cache ?