Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

superuser

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
jakoline1

Re: superuser

#21 Post by jakoline1 »

sunrat wrote: 2021-07-19 02:24 Absolutely not! If one doesn't create a root password during installation the user is automatically added to sudoers and sudo must be used for elevated privileges.
I suppose you're right, although there are other one-user distros like lightweight Puppy Linux that starts in root by default, will full root permissions granted.

This should not be used to dispel my words to the original poster though, as I do think he needs to better learn how to describe and elaborate on his issues, and better communicate with others, no need to show anger unless something provoking happens.
Patience is not the ability to wait but the ability to keep a good attitude while waiting

Lonewolf71

#22 Post by Lonewolf71 »

jakoline1 wrote: 2021-07-19 01:51 You're right, I tested Firejail right now and it's causing me all sorts of trouble when launching various applications.
What kind of problems?

craigevil

#23 Post by craigevil »

From the Debian wiki:
As of DebianSqueeze, if you give root an empty password during installation, sudo will be installed and the first user will be able to use it to gain root access (currently, the user will be added to the sudo group).
https://wiki.debian.org/sudo

The shiny new thing is "Doas"
https://wiki.debian.org/Doas

If you want an actual "root" terminal you should do

Code: Select all

sudo -i
or

su -i
or

su -
See man su
From the dpkg bot in the #debian irc:
Since Debian Buster, "su -" or "su -l" is needed to access programs located in /sbin,
In buster, su no longer overrides PATH by default, requiring that you use "su -" or "su -l" for login shells See https://wiki.debian.org/NewInBuster#Changes for details.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#24 Post by sunrat »

craigevil wrote: 2021-07-19 15:38If you want an actual "root" terminal you should do

sudo -i
or

su -i
See man su
There is no "-i" option listed in the man page. Usually we recommend "su -" which is the shortest form. "su" with no option will retain the environment of the user which can cause problems with paths.

-, -l, --login
              Start  the shell as a login shell with an environment similar to
              a real login:

o      clears all the environment variables except  TERM  and
                        variables specified by --whitelist-environment

o      initializes  the  environment  variables  HOME, SHELL,
                        USER, LOGNAME, and PATH

o      changes to the target user's home directory

o      sets argv[0] of the shell to '-' in order to make  the
                        shell a login shell
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

jakoline1

#25 Post by jakoline1 »

Lonewolf71 wrote: 2021-07-19 13:52 What kind of problems?
Graphical apps starting with superuser in window title, some apps failing to start, Pluma unable to read inside hidden folders, apps starting with new configuration files that override mine.

Lonewolf71

#26 Post by Lonewolf71 »

jakoline1 wrote: 2021-07-19 16:05
Lonewolf71 wrote: 2021-07-19 13:52 What kind of problems?
Graphical apps starting with superuser in window title, some apps failing to start, Pluma unable to read inside hidden folders, apps starting with new configuration files that override mine.
Is this your first time using firejail?

jakoline1

#27 Post by jakoline1 »

If you keep that attitude next time you won't find anyone willing to help you. You'll be stuck with archived threads and old abandoned posts which might or might not work for you.