Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't burn DVD-2.iso or DVD-3.iso using Rufus or Universal USB Installer

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
zoltan

Can't burn DVD-2.iso or DVD-3.iso using Rufus or Universal USB Installer

#1 Post by zoltan »

I'm trying to install Debian 10 using all three DVD images with non-free firmware. DVD-1 burned to a USB drive just fine. I then tried to burn DVD-2 to another USB drive using Rufus, and it told me "this image is either non-bootable, or it uses a compression method that is not supported by Rufus". I had a similar problem with UUI. I assume the problem is that the image is non-bootable considering it's not the base installation medium, it's just a repository of additional software and firmware packages.

So how do I go about burning DVD-2.iso and DVD-3.iso to USB drives so that I can use them during my installation? I can't find answers to this specific question anywhere. I always get results like "how to make a bootable usb" or "how to burn an iso file to a usb stick using blah-blah-blah iso burner".

I also tried using a different installation image found here, but the installer is still missing the firmware for my WNIC, which is specifically what I need. In fact, I don't even need both DVDs. I just need whichever one contains wireless firmware. If anyone knows which DVD has this firmware on it, it would be helpful to know.

mm3100

Re: Can't burn DVD-2.iso or DVD-3.iso using Rufus or Universal USB Installer

#2 Post by mm3100 »

Initially, you will only need to download and use the first image of a set (labelled as debian-something-1 to be able to start the Debian installer and set up Debian on your computer. If there are more images available here (labelled debian-something-2, debian-something-3, etc.), they contain the extra packages that can be installed on a Debian system (as mentioned previously). They will not be bootable and are entirely optional. If you have a fast Internet connection, you're most likely better off installing any desired extra packages directly from the Debian mirrors on the Internet instead of by using these extra images.
You only need dvd1, that is the one with installer. On the other hand you could try to install Bullseye, it will be released in 14 days.

zoltan

#3 Post by zoltan »

mm3100 wrote: 2021-07-31 22:45
Initially, you will only need to download and use the first image of a set (labelled as debian-something-1 to be able to start the Debian installer and set up Debian on your computer. If there are more images available here (labelled debian-something-2, debian-something-3, etc.), they contain the extra packages that can be installed on a Debian system (as mentioned previously). They will not be bootable and are entirely optional. If you have a fast Internet connection, you're most likely better off installing any desired extra packages directly from the Debian mirrors on the Internet instead of by using these extra images.
You only need dvd1, that is the one with installer. On the other hand you could try to install Bullseye, it will be released in 14 days.
So they can only be installed after Debian is installed? What about when the installer prompts you to insert additional media for missing firmware and additional packages? And since they're .iso files, how would I go about installing the content of those images after the installation? I can't burn them to a flash drive, and they aren't executable.

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

zoltan wrote: 2021-08-01 01:46So they can only be installed after Debian is installed?
No, mm3100 is correct, you only need dvd1. The others contain extra software and are only useful if you don't have Internet available. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list to put # in front of the lines with dvd. Then do

Code: Select all

# apt update
. Now you can install over the the Internet which is best because you will get up-to-date packages.

zoltan

#5 Post by zoltan »

Bulkley wrote: 2021-08-01 01:58
zoltan wrote: 2021-08-01 01:46So they can only be installed after Debian is installed?
No, mm3100 is correct, you only need dvd1. The others contain extra software and are only useful if you don't have Internet available. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list to put # in front of the lines with dvd. Then do

# apt update
. Now you can install over the the Internet which is best because you will get up-to-date packages.
DVD1 doesn't have the firmware that I need for my WNIC, so internet is not available to that laptop. Maybe I should've asked the question a different way. I have need of DVD2 and DVD3. How do I make use of them?

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by CwF »

zoltan wrote: 2021-08-01 02:09 I have need of DVD2 and DVD3. How do I make use of them?

man apt-cdrom

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#7 Post by 4D696B65 »

zoltan wrote: 2021-08-01 02:09 DVD1 doesn't have the firmware that I need for my WNIC, so internet is not available to that laptop. Maybe I should've asked the question a different way. I have need of DVD2 and DVD3. How do I make use of them?
Are you sure the firmware you need is on DVD2? Free firmware is on DVD1. Non-free firmware is on the non-free CD.
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... -firmware/

Marie SWE

#8 Post by Marie SWE »

Hi :)
If you don't want to burn DVD disks.. Just make one usb-stick with rufus.
I looked at the content of all three disks and some content has the same names, so they can't be in the same partition/disk, but is is only the first iso that has bootloader.
So If you have a large usb stick 16GB or more... First burn the boot ISO (dvd1) thru Rufus.. when that's done you can shrink/resize the partition rufus made so you can create two new partitions of minimum 5GB each. Then you only extract the content of the dvd2.iso and dvd3.iso files and just copy them over two the new partitions you have on the same USB memory.
this way you get three in one.
7zip among others, can unpack iso files also Linux built in archives managers can unpack ISOs.
Why make things complicated in life, if you can make it easier for yourself... Do it. ;o)
You only have one life, so make the most of it and enjoy it while you can.

zoltan

#9 Post by zoltan »

CwF wrote: 2021-08-01 02:22
zoltan wrote: 2021-08-01 02:09 I have need of DVD2 and DVD3. How do I make use of them?

man apt-cdrom
Got it. So I'll type this into my Windows Terminal and press Enter, then insert my DVD-1.iso media into my other laptop, boot it, and will have access to the data on DVD-2.iso and DVD-3.iso?

zoltan

#10 Post by zoltan »

4D696B65 wrote: 2021-08-01 02:31
zoltan wrote: 2021-08-01 02:09 DVD1 doesn't have the firmware that I need for my WNIC, so internet is not available to that laptop. Maybe I should've asked the question a different way. I have need of DVD2 and DVD3. How do I make use of them?
Are you sure the firmware you need is on DVD2? Free firmware is on DVD1. Non-free firmware is on the non-free CD.
I have tried using the DVD and the CD images at the weblink that you provided. Neither of them worked. The Debian installer still cannot configure my network because the firmware for my WNIC is missing.

How do I burn DVD-2.iso and DVD-3.iso to USB sticks so that I can use the data provided by DVD-2.iso and DVD-3.iso?

zoltan

#11 Post by zoltan »

Marie SWE wrote: 2021-08-01 02:44 Hi :)
I looked at the content of all three disks and some content has the same names, so they can't be in the same partition/disk, but is is only the first iso that has bootloader.
So If you have a large usb stick 16GB or more... First burn the boot ISO (dvd1) thru Rufus.. when that's done you can shrink/resize the partition rufus made so you can create two new partitions of minimum 5GB each. Then you only extract the content of the dvd2.iso and dvd3.iso files and just copy them over two the new partitions you have on the same USB memory.
7zip among others, can unpack iso files also Linux built in archives managers can unpack ISOs.
Hi, thanks for the info! I just want to make sure I understand it correctly. So I burn my installation media to my flash drive, then create two separate partitions on the same flash drive and extract dvd2 and dvd3 to those partitions, then insert the flash drive into my laptop and boot into the Debian installer. Is that correct?

How will the installer know to check the other two partitions on the flash drive for additional firmware?

Also, would you mind telling me how to look at the content of the disks like you did? I really only need one piece of firmware - the driver for my WNIC so that the installer can configure my network and connect to the internet for the rest of the installation. So assuming one of the two disks contains my firmware, I really only need one of them - whichever disk contains my wifi firmware.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#12 Post by CwF »

You have access to this site, so you have access to download the deb directly and use gdebi or apt to install it ?!

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#13 Post by 4D696B65 »

zoltan wrote: 2021-08-01 02:51 The Debian installer still cannot configure my network because the firmware for my WNIC is missing.
What firmware do you need exactly?

zoltan

#14 Post by zoltan »

4D696B65 wrote: 2021-08-01 03:08
zoltan wrote: 2021-08-01 02:51 The Debian installer still cannot configure my network because the firmware for my WNIC is missing.
What firmware do you need exactly?
firmware-atheros

It's the third package in this list.
Last edited by zoltan on 2021-08-01 03:24, edited 1 time in total.

zoltan

#15 Post by zoltan »

CwF wrote: 2021-08-01 03:07 You have access to this site, so you have access to download the deb directly and use gdebi or apt to install it ?!
Maybe I'm missing something. Can you please explain what you're suggesting in better detail? I don't know what you're telling me to do. Gdebi and apt are Debian package managers, correct? How can I use them on a Windows laptop?

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#16 Post by CwF »

zoltan wrote: 2021-08-01 03:23 How can I use them on a Windows laptop?
Well, I see...
If you identified the firmware package you need, download it and put it on a usb. The boot dvd-1 should get you to a desktop, Or even a netinstall to the tty prompt. From there you can install the deb. Someone may know where to put the deb during the install, I'm sure that is possible, I haven't done it that way.

zoltan

#17 Post by zoltan »

CwF wrote: 2021-08-01 03:32
zoltan wrote: 2021-08-01 03:23 How can I use them on a Windows laptop?
Well, I see...
If you identified the firmware package you need, download it and put it on a usb. The boot dvd-1 should get you to a desktop, Or even a netinstall to the tty prompt. From there you can install the deb. Someone may know where to put the deb during the install, I'm sure that is possible, I haven't done it that way.
Ah, I see what you're saying. Just go though with the installation without internet, then download the deb package that I need on the laptop that I'm using since it has internet access, and bring it over to the Debian laptop that way.

I've actually never installed a package that way before. Obviously I know how to use apt to bring packages down from the internet. Is it the same way for installing a package from local media? Would I just cd to the drive with the deb package and run

apt install firmware-atheros
or does apt need additional information? What about with gdebi? I've never used gdebi before, so I don't know its syntax. Do either of them need to be told specifically the directory into which my firmware package needs to be installed, or do the package managers already know where to install it?

mm3100

#18 Post by mm3100 »

zoltan wrote: 2021-07-31 22:34 I'm trying to install Debian 10 using all three DVD images with non-free firmware.
I didn't check it, but that link is not for non-free images. That explains why you have missing firmware for your components. This is link for unofficial images that contain non-free packages:

Here is link to non-free live versions, you could test with them if components are detected and working:

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... so-hybrid/

Marie SWE

#19 Post by Marie SWE »

zoltan wrote: 2021-08-01 03:02
Marie SWE wrote: 2021-08-01 02:44 Hi :)
Hi, thanks for the info! I just want to make sure I understand it correctly. So I burn my installation media to my flash drive, then create two separate partitions on the same flash drive and extract dvd2 and dvd3 to those partitions, then insert the flash drive into my laptop and boot into the Debian installer. Is that correct?

How will the installer know to check the other two partitions on the flash drive for additional firmware?

Also, would you mind telling me how to look at the content of the disks like you did? I really only need one piece of firmware - the driver for my WNIC so that the installer can configure my network and connect to the internet for the rest of the installation. So assuming one of the two disks contains my firmware, I really only need one of them - whichever disk contains my wifi firmware.
exactly. I usually label the partitions to the same as the ISO should labeled the CD/DVD-disk.. this way, the system often finds it on its own, if it is looking for specific label.
But sometimes on installations, it can be so that the installer asks for the disk or you have to point to where the information as it wants... Microsofts often use a press [F6] to add drivers option... I don't know how Debian does.. i used non-free ISO :D
I used to do this on Microsoft systems. So it should probably work similar to Linux.
But as others suggested to you, use installation ISO that contains non-free.. :D :D
I use it on my computers and then it goes quite painless to install Debian.
Why make things complicated in life, if you can make it easier for yourself... Do it. ;o)
You only have one life, so make the most of it and enjoy it while you can.

eor2004

#20 Post by eor2004 »

@ zoltan: You can get an USB Ethernet Lan adapter on sites like ebay, look for the ones that says in the description that works with linux, I bought one just in case an it works fine on debian, they're very cheap and let you connect to the internet and download the necessary drivers for your wireless card, remember to add "contrib" and "non-free" repositories to your "etc/apt/sources.list" then do an "apt update" to refresh your repos, hope this helps, good luck!

P.S. I bought this one here, they're a real lifesaver in some situations: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254792728310
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.