Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't burn DVD-2.iso or DVD-3.iso using Rufus or Universal USB Installer

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Can't burn DVD-2.iso or DVD-3.iso using Rufus or Universal USB Installer

#21 Post by arochester »

"this image is either non-bootable, or it uses a compression method that is not supported by Rufus"
Only DVD1 is bootable. DVD2 and DVD3 are used as Repositories. They are just storage. They have no need to be capable of starting up by themselves...

zoltan

#22 Post by zoltan »

arochester wrote: 2021-08-01 17:18
"this image is either non-bootable, or it uses a compression method that is not supported by Rufus"
Only DVD1 is bootable. DVD2 and DVD3 are used as Repositories. They are just storage. They have no need to be capable of starting up by themselves...
Right, I get that. But the fact that they're named DVD2 and DVD3 and are .iso files lead me to believe that they could be burned to a USB drive and used that way. I don't need to boot from them. DVD1 has the installer on it, so naturally that is the image that needs to boot. I was just trying to figure out how to access and use the data on the DVD2 and DVD3 images. It seems they can't be burned. Another user back on page 1 mentioned using 7zip or another similar program to extract the data. Thought I'd give that a try.

zoltan

#24 Post by zoltan »

Marie SWE wrote: 2021-08-01 16:06 exactly. I usually label the partitions to the same as the ISO should labeled the CD/DVD-disk.. this way, the system often finds it on its own, if it is looking for specific label.
But sometimes on installations, it can be so that the installer asks for the disk or you have to point to where the information as it wants... Microsofts often use a press [F6] to add drivers option... I don't know how Debian does.. i used non-free ISO :D
I used to do this on Microsoft systems. So it should probably work similar to Linux.
But as others suggested to you, use installation ISO that contains non-free.. :D :D
I use it on my computers and then it goes quite painless to install Debian.
Unfortunately, the non-free ISO also did not have the firmware that I need. It ran the installer just fine, but was still unable to configure my network and connect to the internet during installation. I used 7zip to look into the actually images themselves and found a directory labled "firmware" with no files in it. Do you suppose I could download the firmware that I need, compress the file and place it into that firmware directory using 7zip, then boot it that way?

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#26 Post by CwF »

zoltan wrote: 2021-08-01 17:51 Do you suppose I could download the firmware that I need, compress the file and place it into that firmware directory using 7zip, then boot it that way?
No, I don't believe so, the debs on a given disc are indexed in a file - meaning it does not read the directory. I don't think so anyway... I know the installer can read from a usb during install and I think you simply place the deb in the root of that device - not with the install media.

But, as you understood just get to a desktop or even the tty cli and install after the fact. I used to do installs on offline computers with a repository on a phone using drivedroid, so it's possible. Easier is to craft the install in a vm and with a rescue boot device simply 'flash' the image. Without that, allow the installer to error without internet, last I checked you are left with a bootable system, it just requires you to know your way around from there...

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#27 Post by CwF »

Additional thought, search these forums for offline repository and make one on a usb. As in how I did it years ago. That would require a debian system to make the index file using dpkg-dev's scanpackages and an edit to sources list during install, but possible. Chicken and eggs and skinning cats...

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#28 Post by sunrat »

firmware-atheros is not on DVD-2 or DVD-3 anyway if that is what you want. It appears to be a kind of X/Y problem, seeking the wrong method to achieve the required result.
firmware-atheros is included in the unofficial non-free installer.
Note that possibly not all firmware (or drivers) for all Atheros devices is included. Telling us exactly which Atheros device you have would be helpful.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

zoltan

#29 Post by zoltan »

sunrat wrote: 2021-08-02 01:12 firmware-atheros is not on DVD-2 or DVD-3 anyway if that is what you want. It appears to be a kind of X/Y problem, seeking the wrong method to achieve the required result.
firmware-atheros is included in the unofficial non-free installer.
Note that possibly not all firmware (or drivers) for all Atheros devices is included. Telling us exactly which Atheros device you have would be helpful.
Yeah, I figured out how to look through the files in the iso images and found out the same thing. I didn't bother to check the non-free dvd image because when I booted from that image, the installer still did not configure my network. So you're probably right, the firmware-atheros package on that iso probably doesn't contain the firmware for my particular device. I can't remember exactly which Atheros device it is, though I know it's an older device because the laptop is a little dated. I'm getting ready for bed, but I'll boot a live image tomorrow morning to see what device it has.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#30 Post by sunrat »

One of the best ways to find and display hardware info is inxi. Install inxi and post the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Nxx
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

tamjk

#31 Post by tamjk »

Zoltan:

1. it might be better to use Etcher https://www.balena.io/etcher/ rather than Rufus to burn the Debian ISO (including non-free software) onto your USB.

2. Insert the installation USB in your PC. On restarting hit F12 till a one-off boot menu shows and then select to boot from the USB where the Debian ISO is - it is identifiable by its brand name, e.g. SanDisk. This throws up a blue Debian menu with several options. Choose "Graphical Debian Install". This starts an installation process. Since installation requires an internet connection so extra packages can be downloaded, the process offers you a choice of 3 network drivers to use - choose the Atheros one.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#32 Post by sunrat »

tamjk wrote: 2021-08-03 10:36 Zoltan:

1. it might be better to use Etcher https://www.balena.io/etcher/ rather than Rufus to burn the Debian ISO (including non-free software) onto your USB.
Rufus should work fine for Debian images, but DD mode needs to be chosen.
OP has already written a bootable device of DVD-1 anyway so that's beside the point.
Not all Atheros devices are supported by the included drivers and firmware so until we hear back exactly what device it is we can't know.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!