Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Lost menu

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
TheyLive

Lost menu

#1 Post by TheyLive »

It is very strange. There is empty menu. Only "Board index" shows.
When I enter topic also low sections must be shown. If topic in "Forum information, requests, and feedback." then it must be.
It is standard phpBB function and I see simbols "<". But nothing between them.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2022-04-05 16-44-28.png
Screenshot from 2022-04-05 16-44-28.png (53.74 KiB) Viewed 2554 times

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Lost menu

#2 Post by sunrat »

Which browser? Any extensions installed?
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#3 Post by NFT5 »

It's not browser related. Just seems to be something missed when the site was set up.

Most other forums done in phpBB do have the path.

For example:

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

Works here. Firefox 91.7.0esr. Maybe theme related? Try a different theme.

fdn.png
fdn.png (77.92 KiB) Viewed 2521 times
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

TheyLive

#5 Post by TheyLive »

sunrat wrote: 2022-04-06 03:10 Maybe theme related? Try a different theme.
Oh, yes!
Today default theme "AllanStyle-SUBSILVER" has bugs. I found another bugs in it.

I see you have "prosilver" theme. It is Ok.
Can you write to admin to make it as default theme?
Most people on this site (99%) are unregistered guests and they see default theme. But today they see bugs.
sunrat wrote: 2022-04-05 23:19 Any extensions installed?
Vice versa, I make extension for this forum.
Now I test it. I am now forced to adapt to bugs of default theme. But I can not compensate for the loss of menu. Therefore, I wrote here.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by canci »

Also, when are you finally removing the Google dependency in many of the themes?
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#7 Post by donald »

proDVGFX, Graaandview, proflat, pycode, Reds do not have the issue.

When we were going through this we chose AllanStyle-SUBSILVER in the 'vote' thread, most of the other styles seem mobile device centered whereas the ones listed above and AllanStyle are desktop focused.

I'm on a borrowed computer, but later will see if I can hunt down the header part of the theme code to change it which should reflect to all of the other themes.

@canci Thats the style author doing it, I think even the default phpBB style does it as well, not much we can do about it. :(
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by canci »

donald wrote: 2022-04-14 01:48 @canci Thats the style author doing it, I think even the default phpBB style does it as well, not much we can do about it. :(
I think you could just disable the themes that use Google.

Also, do you explicitly warn users about that in some kind of TOS? At least for us EU users, this might break local privacy laws, as you're making us connect to other servers outside the EU with the only way to find out being explicitly looking for what connections are being made. As a user from way back, I also don't remember ever being explicitly warned about that.

You're not a big company, so I don't think anyone will sue you for it, but in the long run, and to remain in the spirit of what a lot of Debian users expect, it would be best to find a long-term solution where this forum doesn't have sneaky "gotcha"-style connections to a demonstrably privacy-reducing company. I don't want to imply that that's what you are doing, as I know it comes from the upstream software, but I just don't think it's in the spirit of this community. If I were over at Ubuntu Forums, I might expect something like that and just never use it. In this case though it's a bit more of a disappointment.
And sorry, but "It's just downloading fonts" is not enough for me, as we can never really know what sort of data Google collects, and trust has been broken in this department so many times.

Sorry if I keep hammering on this, but it does make me uncomfortable. :(
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by sunrat »

@canci perhaps you could help by listing the themes which download fonts from google. @donald is doing pretty much all the backend stuff here by himself and he has Debian development to do as well. I wouldn't know where to look. Then we could make a sticky post somewhere prominent to alert users who wish to avoid those themes. I doubt disabling those themes is a practical option.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by canci »

Thanks. I'll do that.

READ THIS:

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#11 Post by canci »

OK, it turns out only the pycode theme connects to fonts.googleapis.com . At least that's what uBlock Origin tells me. Not sure if that's enough. I could have sworn it was more than just one theme. Maybe that changed during an update? Anyway, glad to see that it's only this one.

Thanks for your hard work and patience. :)

READ THIS: