Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to effectively use Debian for development

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
Gen3x

How to effectively use Debian for development

#1 Post by Gen3x »

Hello,

I wonder what's the best in my case:

1. Debian testing or stable? I'd use Debian for development purposes (Golang, Python, Bash), also containers and Kubernetes, but I'm still thinking on Debian testing or stable...

2. How can I make the OS portable like Fedora? On top of my head, Debian installs the drivers only for the current OS, not generics. So, probably this is the reason why Debian stable never worked somewhere else.
Would Debian testing resolve this? Or shall I install a specific set of packages?
I successfully moved my Fedora disk from a laptop with Intel, to a Desktop with AMD... Completely different video cards, CPU, architecture etc. It's not the only test I did, I just mentioned it as an example, I'd like to have the same experience in Debian if possible.
My hardware is:
- MSI B350M Mortar Artic
- AMD 1600
- 32 GB RAM (I don't see any issue with them)
- 4 Sata HDDs
- (one) 2TB M2 disk (that's the idea for an upgrade, I'd use this disk only for Debian, then I have another SSD for Windows but they shouldn't interfare). Original post for this conversation: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=152029 , which still needs to be approved.

3. Here it comes the most important thing when I change platform, that is, a backup solution!
If things go wrong, I'd like to have a painless migration, something like a restore with Time Machine. I don't mind following some manual steps from command line, but what is in your experience the best tool for that?
As old style, I'd say RAID 1, but it implies to use USB 3.0 because I'm short of SATA ports at the moment :D . Though I'm not sure if I can use an USB 3.0 for RAID 1 :roll:

fabien
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Re: How to effectively use Debian for development

#2 Post by fabien »

Gen3x wrote: 2022-05-04 09:59 2. How can I make the OS portable like Fedora? On top of my head, Debian installs the drivers only for the current OS, not generics. So, probably this is the reason why Debian stable never worked somewhere else.
I'm maybe wrong, but it sounds like your initramfs is configured to load hardware related only modules.
Check /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf (should be configured with MODULES=most, not MODULES=dep) and that it is not overriden in any file in /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/
man 5 initramfs.conf
Gen3x wrote: 2022-05-04 09:593. Here it comes the most important thing when I change platform, that is, a backup solution!
Maybe you'll find ideas in this thread.

Gen3x

#3 Post by Gen3x »

fabien wrote: 2022-05-04 11:11
Gen3x wrote: 2022-05-04 09:59 2. How can I make the OS portable like Fedora? On top of my head, Debian installs the drivers only for the current OS, not generics. So, probably this is the reason why Debian stable never worked somewhere else.
I'm maybe wrong, but it sounds like your initramfs is configured to load hardware related only modules.
Check /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf (should be configured with MODULES=most, not MODULES=dep) and that it is not overriden in any file in /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/
man 5 initramfs.conf
Gen3x wrote: 2022-05-04 09:593. Here it comes the most important thing when I change platform, that is, a backup solution!
Maybe you'll find ideas in this thread.
Thank you, I'll check those settings, but I'd wonder why it didn't come by default. Anyway it's useless to talk on top of my mind, it's time to test the latest version :D .

Thank you for that link, I wonder why i didn't know these solutions before.

In summary, I I understood the following for my needs:

- BTRFS file system!!!

- Whole file system backup like a RAID 1, just to have a replica disk to use if I need it as emergency

- System settings, user settings, home directory
- Data will be present on a different partition,
- I'll use LVM, I hope it doesn't go in contrast with tools to backup the entire file system. As far as I know, it's enough to create an extended partition on the backup drive, the rest will be done by the software
- I need to check if encryption is gonna complicate things... In any case, I manually backup large portions of my data on cloud, I think it's fine, I'm just looking for the best automated solution.

- Or I keep all inside /home and I'll rely on BTRFS + whatever auto-backup solution for encrypted data I'm gonna use.
This means that will be necessary to have a 2TB M2 + 2 TB external disk.
Or better, 4TB SSD (M2 is too expensive) + 4TB external disk. 4TB SSD will cost me 2x the M2 price for 2TB disk, so 50% additional cost from disk capacity point of view, with much lower performance (but it's ok) and half of TBW.
At the moment, I don't have anymore SATA ports, eventually I need to buy another machine and keep the old one only for development.
Unfortunately, the BOOT process from PCI-to-SATA or PCI-to-M2 adapters don't work quite well...

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

Gen3x wrote: 2022-05-04 09:59 I'd like to have the same experience in Debian if possible.
Easily done. KISS, and use mac matching to identify the particular computer it's on, use FOSS video, have fimwares instralled, etc. And install vm aware stuff so a vm is also one of the choices!

Gen3x

#5 Post by Gen3x »

CwF wrote: 2022-05-05 14:21
Gen3x wrote: 2022-05-04 09:59 I'd like to have the same experience in Debian if possible.
Easily done. KISS, and use mac matching to identify the particular computer it's on, use FOSS video, have fimwares instralled, etc. And install vm aware stuff so a vm is also one of the choices!
Thank you, I'm not evaluating a VM at the moment, even if the portability is a great opportunity :D , this is what I'm currently doing on HyperV as a swap.
Between containers etc, better don't mess up. For security reasons instead, a VM seems to be a better option.

What you mean for "mac matching"? MAC address??

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by CwF »

Gen3x wrote: 2022-05-05 14:47 What you mean for "mac matching"? MAC address??
Yes. It's annoying to have desktop widgets set to "eth0" or whatever and have inconsistent naming screw up due to 'predictable names' , so sort that out, then any net utilities work out of the box...

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#7 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Gen3x wrote: 2022-05-04 09:59 1. Debian testing or stable?
Generally You should make Your programs running on stable, but testing will become "stable" eventually - I'm using Debian stable, but I have Testing and Sid in a VM, so I can test my programs against upcoming Debian versions.
Gen3x wrote: 2022-05-04 09:59 2. How can I make the OS portable like Fedora?
Debian installer allows to install all the available drivers, but AFAIN only in the "expert mode".
Gen3x wrote: 2022-05-04 09:59 3. Here it comes the most important thing when I change platform, that is, a backup solution!
If things go wrong, I'd like to have a painless migration, something like a restore with Time Machine. I don't mind following some manual steps from command line, but what is in your experience the best tool for that?
As old style, I'd say RAID 1, (..)
Raid levels 1, 10, 5(0), 6(0) are not creating backups - those Raid levels are providing redundancy, which is totally different from having backups.
I.e. none of raid levels won't save You from accidental overwriting/deleting important files - You need a separate archive containing such files, to be able to restore them.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed