Install with kernel backport

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian
deegixl

Install with kernel backport

#1 Post by deegixl »

Hi,
I am trying to install Bullseye on my brand new laptop.
I have a very new wifi card and the driver is only available in kernel version > 5.14 .
So I want to use a backport to install that kernel (Bullseye standard is 5.10).

But how can I do? It is the chicken or the egg:
I have no network so I cannot download the backport.
I have no backport so I cannot have network...

Note that I have no rj45 connector.
Are there any iso install with the backport included?
Or maybe a way to copy the repositories locally and access them??

arochester
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Install with kernel backport

#2 Post by arochester »

One of my laptops does not have an ethernet connection, I use a cheap USB Ethernet adapter, which works with Linux, from Ebay.

The same laptop has built in Broadcom which I don't like, Again I use a cheap Wi-Fi adapter from Ebay,

What is the make and model of your laptop? How much RAM do you have?

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Use an Arch live ISO image to boot to a console screen then run 'iwctl' to connect wirelessly (see the ArchWiki for more on this) and follow https://www.debian.org/releases/bullsey ... 03.en.html to install Debian from the Arch live environment.

And yes, debootstrap is available from the Arch repsositories:

Code: Select all

# pacman -Sy debootstrap
(Warning: *never* use -Sy in an installed Arch system, always use -Syu)
Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick on 2022-06-16 08:31, edited 2 times in total.
Il semble que la perfection soit atteinte non quand il n'y a plus rien à ajouter, mais quand il n'y a plus rien à retrancher.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

What are the hardware details of the laptop? For a brand new one you may need more than just a kernel such as graphics stack, firmware, and microcode.
You must have downloaded the installer from somewhere. If you can install that you might be able to boot to a console login, then download the kernel and headers from that same somewhere to a USB drive and install manually.
But it won't be easy. You may be better off using MX Linux AHS version which will have a recent kernel and firmware. Or install Debian Unstable and learn how to deal with eternal upgrades and possible breakages.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

deegixl

#5 Post by deegixl »

The laptop is a dell xps 9720 with Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX211 card (Linux firmware existing for kernel >= 5.14)

I have also problem with:
The touchpad which doesn't work
The integrated keyboard: Ctfl/alf/F2 doesn't switch to terminal (works for other purposes, maybe a problem with fn keys?). It works with an external usb keyboard

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Or install Arch and enjoy an operating system that is actually intended to be a rolling release.
Il semble que la perfection soit atteinte non quand il n'y a plus rien à ajouter, mais quand il n'y a plus rien à retrancher.

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

deegixl wrote: 2022-06-16 08:48 The laptop is a dell xps 9720 with Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX211 card (Linux firmware existing for kernel >= 5.14)

I have also problem with:
The touchpad which doesn't work
The integrated keyboard: Ctfl/alf/F2 doesn't switch to terminal (works for other purposes, maybe a problem with fn keys?). It works with an external usb keyboard
Yeah, probably needs more than just a kernel. We'd know much more more if you ran any cutting edge distro's live session that does work with its hardware, installed inxi if it's not already there, ran in a terminal:

inxi -Fxxz
and copypasted the output here, enclosed in the </> code tags formatting.
MX Linux packager and developer

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

I'm also concerned about the latest Debian firmware packages being stuck at the 08-august-2021 snapshot...

deegixl

#9 Post by deegixl »

sunrat wrote: 2022-06-16 08:29 You must have downloaded the installer from somewhere. If you can install that you might be able to boot to a console login, then download the kernel and headers from that same somewhere to a USB drive and install manually.
But it won't be easy. You may be better off using MX Linux AHS version which will have a recent kernel and firmware. Or install Debian Unstable and learn how to deal with eternal upgrades and possible breakages.
I am on that:

I did prepare a mirror copy of the bulseye-backports repo with another computer (26G!!)
I have problems transfering it to an USB key. So i use an ArchLinux live iso on my laptop from which I can connect to the network (Yeah, it is possible!!)
I am now using it to transfer the mirror copy to the laptop drive.
When transfered I will try to install the new kernel version from the mirror... I will let you know.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by sunrat »

deegixl wrote: 2022-06-17 08:15 I did prepare a mirror copy of the bulseye-backports repo with another computer (26G!!)
That sounds like massive overkill when you only needed the kernel and likely kernel-header packages. Should work if you do it correctly though. I never tried to mirror a whole repo! :o
As mentioned earlier, you may still need firmware, microcode, and some graphics packages, some of which will be in the non-free repo.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Head_on_a_Stick

#11 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

stevepusser wrote: 2022-06-16 21:23 I'm also concerned about the latest Debian firmware packages being stuck at the 08-august-2021 snapshot...
The OP can remove all firmware packages and use this method instead:

# apt install git
# rm -r /lib/firmware/*
# cd /lib/
# git clone https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git
# mv linux-firmware firmware
Then use this to update the firmware:

# cd /lib/firmware
# git pull
We don't need no stinkin' package manager... :mrgreen:

deegixl

#12 Post by deegixl »

sunrat wrote: 2022-06-17 08:39 As mentioned earlier, you may still need firmware, microcode, and some graphics packages, some of which will be in the non-free repo.
That's why I did this way, I have all the files.

It is easy with the apt-mirror tool
But non I have the following problem when trying to update the kernel:

apt install linux-image-amd64 -t bullseye-backports

E: La valeur  « bullseye-backports » n'est pas valable  pour APT:Default-Release car cette version ne fait pas partie des sources disponibles
Traduction: The value « bullseye-backports » is not valid for APT:Default-Release because this version doesn't belong to the available sources

Head_on_a_Stick

#13 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I've never actually used apt-mirror so I don't know how it works but did you remember to

# apt update
after adding the source(s)?

deegixl

#14 Post by deegixl »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: 2022-06-17 15:59

# apt update
after adding the source(s)?
Done of course! I don't know why it is not working.

I did another way: I did a chroot from the live Archlinux (which provides the network) to the Debian root and downloaded the packages the standadr way from the online repository... 8)
I had some troubles because I did forget to mount the /boot directory but it is ok now !!!
Thanks all

stevepusser

#15 Post by stevepusser »

Some of the latest Intel intel or amd graphics may only be supported by a newer mesa stack, which backports doesn't do. You can run that inxi command from an Arch live session--that way we have some information on your hardware instead of having to use my crystal ball.

stevepusser

#16 Post by stevepusser »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: 2022-06-17 09:32
stevepusser wrote: 2022-06-16 21:23 I'm also concerned about the latest Debian firmware packages being stuck at the 08-august-2021 snapshot...
The OP can remove all firmware packages and use this method instead:

# apt install git
# rm -r /lib/firmware/*
# cd /lib/
# git clone https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git
# mv linux-firmware firmware
Then use this to update the firmware:

# cd /lib/firmware
# git pull
We don't need no stinkin' package manager... :mrgreen:
Hopefully the user can manage some sort of net connection to install git and get the firmware!
If you can install "make", you can also just run

# make install

because you get a Makefile in that git pull.

I'm seriously thinking of again porting over the newer monolithic Ubuntu "linux-firmware" package to MX AHS to support new hardware there out of the box if Debian doesn't refresh theirs, even though it's a fugly kludge.