Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

On-screen keyboard not triggered

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Uhuru

On-screen keyboard not triggered

#1 Post by Uhuru »

Hello everybody,

What would be the cause(s) of the on-screen keyboard not showing up when I put the cursor in whichever browser to type in (brave, icecat, firefox...etc) ?

P.S.: I use gnome desktop on a laptop.

Uhuru

Re: On-screen keyboard not triggered

#2 Post by Uhuru »

Have any idea about this? ...someone?

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by CwF »

Uhuru wrote: 2021-07-27 07:40 Have any idea about this?
Maybe few use it?
I don't believe there is a default standard setup? Debian doesn't come with one as far as I know. Sure, one can be installed, and then configured by the user, you. A working default is the territory of 'buntu's for tablets?
Last I played with one was a few years ago for vehicle units, long story. I think I used 'Onboard'. It could be setup to be used in lightdm, and have multiple instances attached to things, or a global one. Details are fuzzy, but it wasn't up to smart phone standards...
I think 'Florence' (?) could work prior to a DE, but ?

So what are you using? There is no default...

Uhuru

#4 Post by Uhuru »

Prior to posting my first message, the searches that I had made over the net informed me about the fact that, except on Wayland, there is a D-Bus event bug not being triggered, causing the on-screen keyboard not to appear outside of GTK applications.
Afterwards, I tried to make use of the on-screen keyboard on Wayland (gdm3), outside of GTK applications (in browsers for instance), however the problem still remains...

Uhuru

#5 Post by Uhuru »

Finally found a solution to this problem!!!
Since this thread has a ratio of 1 reply/1116 views at the moment this message is typed, I won't (publicly) share the solution.

Have a good day : )

mm3100

#6 Post by mm3100 »

Keep the solution then. People tend to try to help only if they know the solution or where to look. I was following this thread in hope someone has answer as I would like to have it working as well, just never had time to go and solve it.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#7 Post by 4D696B65 »

@Uhuru: It's nice to see you have community spirit.

Was this the fix?

Code: Select all

$ export MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 
$ firefox
From here?
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=789038

Dai_trying

#8 Post by Dai_trying »

I have also had this problem with Gnome (and Wayland) on my Surface Pro 3, Thanks for the advice @4D696B65 it works for me :)

I don't suppose you would know of a way to get brave browser to work the same? I've searched a bit (although not extensively) but cannot find anything so far....

EDIT: For anyone also needing this fix, you can make it permanent by adding it to the file /etc/environment (without the "export" word) and after a reboot (or maybe just logout works) and it should get your on screen keyboard working when tapping on an editable field.