Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Grub legacy which configuration file uses ? I need to add "quiet splash intel_iommu=on" inside of it

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
marietto

Grub legacy which configuration file uses ? I need to add "quiet splash intel_iommu=on" inside of it

#1 Post by marietto »

Hello to everyone.

I'm trying to customize the Debian 11 iso image with cubic. The most important parameter that I should set up within cubic is the following :

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash intel_iommu=on"

what's the problem ? the problem is that I can't install grub2 inside cubic. If I do that,I get the error "grub can't be installed" because the Debian installation tool tries by itself to install grub2,but since it finds that it has been already installed /by me/,it won't install it again and the installation of Debian fails on that point. To fix this problem I don't install grub2 inside cubic anymore,but only grub legacy. Grub legacy makes the produced ISO bootable. BUT I've realized that after installing it,the file /etc/default/grub that I always use to add the parameter GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash intel_iommu=on" is not created. I tried to create it by myself inside Cubic,before the Debian installer installed grub2,but the ISO image didn't boot. I've double checked : I've renamed /etc/default/grub into /etc/default/grub_ and I've burned a new ISO image and boom : it has been able to boot.

So,my question is : grub legacy which configuration file does it use ? I ask this because I need to add the parameter that I've explained above "quiet splash intel_iommu=on" inside of it. Or,do you know another method to add it ? thanks.

I've already posted the question on reddit and someone helped me,but at the moment I haven't found a solution. You can give a look here :

https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comment ... es_it_use/

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Grub legacy which configuration file uses ? I need to add "quiet splash intel_iommu=on" inside of it

#2 Post by CwF »

I'm not positive, but in modern kernels iommu may be on by default...I know it can be, needing no declaration in grub..?

marietto

Re: Grub legacy which configuration file uses ? I need to add "quiet splash intel_iommu=on" inside of it

#3 Post by marietto »

I'm not sure if I can passthru my gpu without adding the intel_iommu=on parameter. Anyway,I want to find a solution because I want to learn how to add a parameter to the kernel during the installation of debian in some way. I'm trying the "preseed" method.

I've added the file preseed.cfg on the folder /boot with this content :

d-i debian-installer/add-kernel-opts string quiet splash intel_iommu=on

but the parameter has NOT been added neither on /etc/default/grub nor on /boot/grub/grub.cfg

and when I make the installation of debian physically,I don't see the file preseed.cfg on the /boot folder.

I've also tried with :

d-i debian-installer/add-kernel-opts string "intel_iommu=on"

and its happened the same. The parameter has NOT been added neither on /etc/default/grub nor on /boot/grub/grub.cfg

do you know where is the mistake ? thanks.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

marietto wrote: 2022-10-05 23:05 I'm not sure if I can passthru my gpu without adding the intel_iommu=on parameter
No you can't, unless it's already on!

I prefer imaging rather than interactive installing, or in this case custom automated installation. So I know nothing! There are other settings needed, will you preseed all?

marietto

#5 Post by marietto »

For the project that I'm working on,I want to use the interactive installing with a custom installation. No,I don't want to preseed all,I need to preseed only one feature for now.