Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Lennart Poettering leaves Red Hat for Microsoft

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#1 Post by Hallvor »

[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

ticojohn

Re: Lennart Poettering leaves Red Hat for Microsoft

#2 Post by ticojohn »

Hallvor wrote: 2022-07-09 07:33 I think he'll fit right in.

https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/07/ ... microsoft/
Right on. Microsoft loves bloatware.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

Diesel330

#3 Post by Diesel330 »

So who we like and who we don't as Debian community? I have no personal opinions, just point me to the right direction. I know we like Stallman but that's all

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#4 Post by cds60601 »

Systemd coming to a Microsoft OS soon? I wonder if someone will then fork the OS at the moment.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

ticojohn

#5 Post by ticojohn »

cds60601 wrote: 2022-07-09 13:54 Systemd coming to a Microsoft OS soon? I wonder if someone will then fork the OS at the moment.
Systemd would probably be an improvement for Microsoft. :lol:
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

trinidad

#6 Post by trinidad »

I know we like Stallman
As far as Stallman: some of his accomplishments... not the human. As far as Poeterring: some of his accomplishments, and some not... but the human seems OK.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Diesel330 wrote: 2022-07-09 13:42So who we like and who we don't as Debian community?
I don't like anybody. I don't care what the rest of the community thinks. Tossers :mrgreen:
Diesel330 wrote: 2022-07-09 13:42I know we like Stallman but that's all
Debian has no position on Stallman, at least officially: https://www.debian.org/vote/2021/vote_002

I think he's a cunt. But then you probably guessed that.
deadbang

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#8 Post by oswaldkelso »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: 2022-07-09 19:20
Diesel330 wrote: 2022-07-09 13:42So who we like and who we don't as Debian community?
I don't like anybody. I don't care what the rest of the community thinks. Tossers :mrgreen:

Who is like or not on a personal level is mute. If we like what they brought to the community is what's important.
Diesel330 wrote: 2022-07-09 13:42I know we like Stallman but that's all
Debian has no position on Stallman, at least officially: https://www.debian.org/vote/2021/vote_002

I think he's a cunt. But then you probably guessed that.
Hoas. We're discussing Pottering. Your systemd love child. Now he's showing his true colours, Linux prepared for WSL with a big fat pay cheque in his pocket, job done.

Stallman created the foundations of the free/libre operating systems we all use. Pottering drove a tank over them. If the last line of your quote was directed towards Pottering I'd agree with you otherwise stfu and get back on topic :P
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

oswaldkelso wrote: 2022-07-09 20:51If the last line of your quote was directed towards Pottering
Gracious me, no. I have had the pleasure of interacting with Mr. Poettering directly and I found him to be both charming and reactive to my point.
oswaldkelso wrote: 2022-07-09 20:51stfu
Okay.

EDIT: 's/mute/moot/'. Sorry.
deadbang

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by canci »

This is going to be one of those offtopic megathreads, isn't it? And probably a huge magnet for disgruntled Devuan users.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#11 Post by steve_v »

canci wrote: 2022-07-10 14:12disgruntled Devuan users.
Who's disgruntled then? Devuan is a fine distro. :P

As for the OP... I expect a "Welcome home agent Poettering" party is in the works somewhere at Microshaft, having done such a spectacular job of undermining and dividing the GNU/Linux community.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

user6c57b8

#12 Post by user6c57b8 »

So Potter joined Slytherin?

panpan

#13 Post by panpan »

It is a matter of time when Linux, Microsoft, Android and the rest will be merged.

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#14 Post by Bloom »

Android is Google, so no. Linux is also no. But Ubuntu (Canonical) will be integrated into Microsoft, of that I'm sure.

panpan

#15 Post by panpan »

Bloom wrote: 2022-07-23 10:03 Android is Google, so no. Linux is also no. But Ubuntu (Canonical) will be integrated into Microsoft, of that I'm sure.
Globalization to all levels, it is inevitable and irreversible. Hope is the last thing that dies together with its carrier.

cynwulf

#16 Post by cynwulf »

Canonical and Red Hat have been courting Microsoft for years:

https://www.redhat.com/en/partners/microsoft
https://pulse.microsoft.com/en/transfor ... customers/

With the Azure platform and github, Microsoft has been placed in a very powerful position.

Now systemd comes to WSL (with some help from Canonical and Poettering):

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandl ... le-in-wsl/

Ubuntu is the number one Linux distribution running on MS Azure.

Canonical, Poettering and Microsoft all working hard to bring systemd to Windows...

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#17 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

IMO both RedHad and Canonical are at best naive - or just stupid (if fact, RedHat's decisions are very surprising to me) - this is a classic case of EEE -> Microshit's main goal is to show that the business, even if based on Linux, requires Winblows to run (WSL) - what of course is a bullshit, but, CEOs are usually incompetent idiots - so such a primitive trick can work.

Both Canonical and and RedHat will be f**ked out of business very soon - f.e. RedHat contracts with US Army can be taken over by Microshit - definitely RedHad have made a mistake which can lead to a destruction of this company (RH CEO must be an idiot - or a paid Microshit agent)

Not that I'm worrying about the future of RedHat or Canonical - but it's surprising that they are so naive and stupid.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

cynwulf

#18 Post by cynwulf »

Canonical are not so naive, just a business. And as with any business they have only ever made business decisions - and with Ubuntu being the primary OS on MS Azure, getting into bed with Microsoft is just another business decision. I doubt it will destroy them - on the contrary, MS may buy them out and I'm sure that Shuttleworth would sell.

Red Hat, being part of IBM, are also a business. Neither of these companies do anything based on ideology. In fact both have been big contributors to the "open washing" which is now very much the mainstream and the norm. I remember observing several years ago, that Canonical stopped using the word "Linux" on their website. The reason for that was pure marketing.

Nowadays, Linux is again mentioned, freely as it's old associations with neckbeards has faded - and is primarily developed and funded by "big tech". ubuntu.com is plastered with Microsoft and other corporate logos. Ubuntu has gone from being a desktop Linux distribution, to a host of server solutions.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#19 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

cynwulf wrote: 2022-10-06 09:34 (..) on the contrary, MS may buy them out and I'm sure that Shuttleworth would sell.
I agree - that's one of the scenarios for EEE ...
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed