Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

About Inxi & forum support cq -Fxpmrz

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: About Inxi & forum support cq -Fxpmrz

#21 Post by sunrat »

h2 wrote: 2022-10-09 21:57 sunrat, I was just reading a long interview with Paul Davis, primary author of Ardour, and I'm happy to report we got this one absolutely right!! (sound servers running through sound APIs, usually ALSA in Linux)

Podcast ep. 003 - Paul Davis on fixing big Linux audio issues
https://librearts.org/2020/07/podcast-e ... is-part-2/
And I think that there is now a greater chance the PipeWire will be able to do what its goal is stated as. Which is to become a replacement for both PulseAudio and JACK. And if that happens, if it really is able to satisfy those goals, I think the situation is going to get a lot cleaner from some perspectives.
@h2 I read that a while ago and just read it again, most interesting article.
I've been using PA > JACK > ALSA for some time and it mostly does what I need but is not trivial to set up although quite flexible. I tried PipeWire recently on a fresh Testing install and, while it mostly worked well and was fairly easy to set up, it had several glitches and deficiencies which made me revert to my old setup. Maybe when Bookworm becomes Stable I will try it again.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

h2

Re: About Inxi & forum support cq -Fxpmrz

#22 Post by h2 »

sunrat, I think it takes a while for these things to get stabilized. Given Paul Davis created Jack then gave up on the project and handed it off to someone else, I assume he roughly knows from the internals which is most likely to be the forward path. But of course, this doesn't happen overnight. I may switch to Pipewire since I run Debian Testing it should generally be fairly close to current version, until of course next stable freeze happens, which I believe is fairly soon, then it will be out of date for a while, but still not too bad. I was struck that Ardour officially now recommends against using Jack due to the challenges and issues it presents for new users. But bugs take time, and you need enough serious users to really start getting the stuff sculpted into what will be the more or less final mature product. Always an unknown if something will go that far, or fizzle out at some point along the way.

Given this was a 2020 interview, that gives about 2 more years of work for next Debian stable, upcoming, Pipewire. Which is a fair amount of time.
smxi/sgfxi site (manuals, how-to's, faqs) :: script forums :: Check out inxi sys info script!