Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Would like to install Debian on an Ideapad, but keep old system as backup

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
MultiplexLayout

Would like to install Debian on an Ideapad, but keep old system as backup

#1 Post by MultiplexLayout »

My parents just bought a second hand laptop with Chrome OS. They want me to install Debian on it but I am worried that installing a new OS will void the warranty. Here's what I'm thinking:
  • Use a live USB of Kali Linux to create an image of the hdd
  • Wipe the drive and install Debian
  • If anything goes wrong, I want to be able to restore the old system from the image and have it boot into Chrome OS like nothing happened
Is this possible? Can I make a backup image that would still boot into Chrome OS when it is restored? I'm guessing it isn't as simple as "rsync -avz /dev/laptop/hdd /dev/usb/backup"

Posting this in offtopic because it involves multiple OSs.

Edit: I was wrong about the model. It is actually a Chromebook, if that makes a difference.

lobra2

Re: Would like to install Debian on an Ideapad, but keep old system as backup

#2 Post by lobra2 »

This might be helpful:
As i remember it i've had success cloning a whole system simply by dd if=/dev/sdX of=/dev/sdY where sdX is the system in question and sdY is an external storage.
This was done cloning raspbian/raspios on a raspi from SD card to USB stick.
The system cloned thusly with dd was perfectly bootable (in the particular case this also involved some configuring of the pi but that is beyond the point since it has to do with how the pi handles booting).