Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Some forum threads don't honour personal style

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin

Re: Should some subforums have mandated themes or respect user preference setting

#21 Post by donald »

There are already 3 threads about this, no need for another one.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Should some subforums have mandated themes or respect user preference setting

#22 Post by sunrat »

IMO just having a separate subforum for sid/testing is sufficient. You are being too intransigent about this @donald . A few users and admins have expressed a preference to not have a separate theme so that should be an option.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

donald

#23 Post by donald »

sunrat wrote: 2022-10-30 22:13 IMO just having a separate subforum for sid/testing is sufficient. You are being too intransigent about this @donald . A few users and admins have expressed a preference to not have a separate theme so that should be an option.
I'm not fighting it, I'm stating my preference, it is up to a user vote, people can choose the no option. If I'm being too vocal or pushy on it I'll tone it down and you guys take it over. Sorry.

edit: Some people do have a preference for a different style theme and some really like the current theme, which is really what I'm putting forth, they don't want to argue with the admins so I'm pushing that for them though it may look like I'm pushing the dagger.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#24 Post by sunrat »

donald wrote: 2022-10-30 22:16I'm not fighting it, I'm stating my preference, it is up to a user vote, people can choose the no option.
If the No option means keep the default theme, that is clear as mud. I took it to mean keep that crazy acid trip theme currently active.
edit : That acid theme has attracted enough negative response for it to be not considered an option.
I could live with Reds if that is voted in the poll.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

donald

#25 Post by donald »

sunrat wrote: 2022-10-30 22:25
donald wrote: 2022-10-30 22:16I'm not fighting it, I'm stating my preference, it is up to a user vote, people can choose the no option.
If the No option means keep the default theme, that is clear as mud. I took it to mean keep that crazy acid trip theme currently active.
hmmm...

Looks like we may be speaking past eachother. I took the no theme off the list because no theme would be in the theme vote.

So the vote would be to keep a theme there or not have a theme there which would come after the do we want a theme there vote.

Do we want to change the theme? Y/N
N: Keep theme.
Y: Vote on the theme.
V: Vote on the theme: 1/2/3/D(efault).
Typo perfectionish.

donald

#26 Post by donald »

sunrat wrote: 2022-10-30 22:25
edit : That acid theme has attracted enough negative response for it to be not considered an option.
I could live with Reds if that is voted in the poll.
per your edit:
Reds is fine with me. I have received enough email for and against it which is why I'm pushing to let them decide so I can be done with it. I just want all voices heard, not just the loudest.
Typo perfectionish.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#27 Post by sunrat »

Sorry, I must have edited while you were reading.

Clearer:
- Keep current acid trip theme
- Use user's chosen default board theme preference
- Reds
- Other (post suggestion)
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

donald

#28 Post by donald »

sunrat wrote: 2022-10-30 22:46 Sorry, I must have edited while you were reading.

Clearer:
- Keep current acid trip theme
- Use user's chosen default board theme preference
- Reds
- Other (post suggestion)
Nailed it. This way everyone gets a say in the matter.
Typo perfectionish.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#29 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Although I think that current poll is now compromised, due to the initial (changed) wording (I agree with sunrat), and that a portion of the forum population won't even look in that subforum due to the existing theme.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Some forum threads don't honour personal style

#30 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

OK, I have updated the existing poll as per above options (which resets previous votes) and moved the topic (leaving a link in the original location) to the Forum Stuff subforum
viewtopic.php?t=153195
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...