Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installed QEMU KVM Setup Bridged Neworking But Now Can't use SSH?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
dachshund-digital

Installed QEMU KVM Setup Bridged Neworking But Now Can't use SSH?

#1 Post by dachshund-digital »

Installed QEMU KVM Setup Bridged Networking But Now Can't use SSH? Not sure how to resolve this. What is odd is that routing is working, I have a route to the gateway, I can use the Browser in Gnome to get to Google, etc. So the NIC appears to be working. Connection Manager shows that the bridge, br0, is present. SSH was working fine before I enabled bridged networking for vhost_net support. SSH service is running shows no errors,if I look at netstat I see 0.0.0.0:ssh, which as I recall means that SSH should use any interface and accept any connection. There is not configured firewall at all. I set PermitRootLogin to yes for testing. When I try to connect to the Linux system with QEMU KVM enabled:

# ssh -vvvv root@192.168.1.19
OpenSSH_8.4p1 Raspbian-5+deb11u1, OpenSSL 1.1.1n 15 Mar 2022
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 19: include /etc/ssh/ssh_config.d/*.conf matched no files
debug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 21: Applying options for *
debug2: resolve_canonicalize: hostname 192.168.1.19 is address
debug3: expanded UserKnownHostsFile '~/.ssh/known_hosts' -> '/root/.ssh/known_hosts'
debug3: expanded UserKnownHostsFile '~/.ssh/known_hosts2' -> '/root/.ssh/known_hosts2'
debug2: ssh_connect_direct
debug1: Connecting to 192.168.1.19 [192.168.1.19] port 22.
debug1: connect to address 192.168.1.19 port 22: No route to host
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.19 port 22: No route to host

I want to use SSH to connect to the ACTUAL HOST, not VM, not tunnel via SSH to VM, but that actually host, just like I once could before I installed QEMU KVM and enabled vhost-net bridged networking. The above suggests SSH is up but not listening on port 22? But if I am on the host system and do root@localhost, I get an ssh session. But if I do ssh root@192.168.1.19 on the host system, I get no connection? This implies the bridged setup for br0 for vhost_net has blocked port 22?

dachshund-digital

Re: Installed QEMU KVM Setup Bridged Neworking But Now Can't use SSH?

#2 Post by dachshund-digital »

Decided using a dedicated interface made more sense than trying to chase this down. Using a separate management rail or interface is a best practice anyway, isolating management/control of KVM host from VM traffic.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by CwF »

dachshund-digital wrote: 2022-11-04 18:32 Decided using a dedicated interface made more sense
Good call.

dachshund-digital

#4 Post by dachshund-digital »

Yeah, from a technical perspective, would love to figure out why it was not working, but would never be practical perspective as I noted.

trinidad

#5 Post by trinidad »

Perhaps attempting to connect to a new ssh server installation on an old previously used IP address where a server once was. New fingerprint would be different than what was used previously and connection would be refused by the client. Just a thought.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.