Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't install firmware. Get this popup

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
morse_the_horse

Can't install firmware. Get this popup

#1 Post by morse_the_horse »

Every time my Bullseye system on my Dell Latitude E7270 comes up, it reminds me to install the Secure Boot dbx Configuration Update. Each time I allow it, it tells me it is downloaded and asks me if I want to restart. At the same time, the above message pops up. All other updates install normally. This has been going on for well over a month. Suggestions?

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Can't install firmware. Get this popup

#2 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

morse_the_horse

Re: Can't install firmware. Get this popup

#3 Post by morse_the_horse »

Yes, it appears to be the exact same issue.

I understand now that this is a security update, not one that affects say, a mathematical operation.

However, the OP "resolved" it by getting rid of the notification. That doesn't resolve the problem of not being able to install the firmware but instead simply stops one from being bothered. I'm not bothered by the notification. I am looking to find a real fix i.e. an update that will properly install firmware that appears to be needed for security purposes.

It's not clear that if one does not have secure boot turned on and accepting the risks whether this is an issue.

There appears to be no fix and no indication as to when a fix might occur.

The suggestion in the Gnome link would seem to be a way around it but does not make it clear whether this might or should be undone at some point in the future.

It is not clear whether turning off secure boot in the BIOS would allow booting if the "fix" makes the system unbootable with secure boot and therefore allow a pre-fix backup (e.g. Clonezilla image) to restore things the way they were.

Thanks for the good info on different Linux version.