Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Forum] [Feature] Opt-in Cookies and 3rd party content

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin

[Forum] [Feature] Opt-in Cookies and 3rd party content

#1 Post by donald »

Debian User Forums does not use trackers or share information with any party at all with no exception, our forum software does use required cookies for to enable userids, hash passwords, remember-me tokens, mark the last read threads, and to use the forums.

Our forum software provider (phpBB) does not receive nor is privy to any private or cookie information on our forums or any data set in our cookies.

To address concerns with the use of cookies, we recently moved to a new cookie setting system that asks for express user permission for this website to set its required cookies and gives users the option of opting into additional 3rd party content delivery such as video or translation services. The new system does require javascript to set the cookie on your system, the cookie will lasts for 120 days at which point it will ask you again.

When users open the forums this is the cookie option they will see:
cookie1.png
cookie1.png (35.21 KiB) Viewed 5914 times
Users can select which cookies and services they would like to use:

cookie2.png
cookie2.png (126.68 KiB) Viewed 5914 times
The 120 day cookie will remember your preferences. If you deny 3rd party video content for example and enter a thread withp re-loaded content, the cookie system will ask for your explicit permission to pass that data onto you. It looks like this:

cookie_ask.png
cookie_ask.png (22.33 KiB) Viewed 5914 times

Hopefully this helps most people address privacy issues they may encounter and still keep our area of the internet free of trackers that are placed without consent.

We cannot promote or hint at particular software you can use to have these types of settings as your default in your browser, but can say there are many many many extensions available for most browsers that will allow you to do this natively. We in the least can make that a bit easier.

Thread is open for questions, comments, concerns, praise, and hate mail. :)
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

Bulkley

Re: [News] [Feature] Opt-in Cookies and 3rd party content

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Is there any way to set it once and never see the pop-up again? I'm using Firefox-esr with the Arkenfox user.js that resets every time FF is opened. That gets rid of a lot of junk but not this pop-up.

donald

Re: [News] [Feature] Opt-in Cookies and 3rd party content

#3 Post by donald »

Bulkley wrote: 2022-11-13 19:22 Is there any way to set it once and never see the pop-up again? I'm using Firefox-esr with the Arkenfox user.js that resets every time FF is opened. That gets rid of a lot of junk but not this pop-up.
I never used user.js for security, reading up on the means now.

Could you try adding it to a whitelist?
. KEEP LOGINS

We delete all cookies and site data on close
There is no need to change any prefs - to keep some cookies and logins, just add site exceptions: either
Ctrl+I > Permissions > Cookies > Allow (when on the website in question)
☰ Settings > Privacy & Security > Cookies & Site Data > Manage Exceptions
For cross-domain logins, add exceptions for both sites
e.g. https://www.youtube.com (site) + https://accounts.google.com (single sign on)
⚠️ Be selective with what cookies you keep, as they also disable partitioning, see bugzilla 1767271
I went down the rabbit hole on bugzilla 1767271 on this one, scary stuff.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank