Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Help backporting NVIDIA 510 to Bullseye

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
MiracleDinner

Re: Help backporting NVIDIA 510 to Bullseye

#21 Post by MiracleDinner »

Alright so I managed to get much further in the process, by following SimpleBackportCreation to make my own backports of the packages dh-dkms and dkms to Bullseye (since this was successful, I've removed local apt repository and the /srv/ directory as those won't be needed). I then proceeded through the rest of the process outlined in the wiki, and most was smooth sailing. Until I got to the very last step, to install the deb packages. I realised that I accidentally never left the dkms build directory but decided that shouldn't matter too much. I tried installing the nvidia-driver deb but it complained about "broken" packages so I manually went through and tried installing each deb it asked for (which was quite convoluted) until eventually I got stuck as it complained about "unsupported file on the command line" and I don't know how to proceed. I'm doubtful any of what I did caused irreversible damage, damage that I couldn't just fix by reinstalling, but I don't really want to reinstall, and I'm quite unsure how "broken" my system is and if I'll be able to use it normally [EDIT: I've just rebooted and it seems that right clicking on apps no longer offers "Launch with Dedicated GPU" and moreover I cannot use my NVIDIA GPU for anything but my system seems otherwise functional; if you would like me to provide any more info about the current status of my system I'd be more than happy to] until I can rectify this situation so please could somebody give me advise on what to do next?

I'm sorry this is so long, but I felt it would be best to upload the full record of what I did today:
https://pastebin.com/tFT649fn

stevepusser

#22 Post by stevepusser »

Yes, the Nvidia driver build generates a big giant mess of packages, some of which are interdependent, and some of which conflict with each other. That's why I let apt sort'em out automagically in local-apt-repository.

Are you booting with systemd? I think you have to in Debian (but not in MX). Local-apt-repo depends on systemd to refresh its database automatically within a few seconds; otherwise there's a command to do it manually.

Also, if you have 32-bit arch enabled for amd64 in order to run 32-bit stuff like Steam, or Wine, or 32-bit games, you'll also need to update the 32-bit libs for the new Nvidia driver--the versions must match. There's no actual driver for 32-bit, but the i386 packaging build does generate some 32-bit driver-lib packages so the 64-bit driver can use 32-bit.
MX Linux packager and developer

MiracleDinner

#23 Post by MiracleDinner »

Yes, I'm booting with systemd. How would I refresh local-apt-repository? As for your query of 32-bit, I did run dpkg --print-foreign-architectures which returned nothing, so I guess that means I didn't? (By the way Steam is installed as a flatpak, so that's how I have Steam if I didn't)

[EDIT: I've reinstalled local-apt-repository and put all the debs in /srv/local-apt-repository but am still having the same issue as before where they don't appear as apt updates]

stevepusser

#24 Post by stevepusser »

Well, I'm stumped as to why the newer packages don't show in your local-apt-repo.

I tried to see your pastebin, but it's private. Please just copy and paste the output of the apt policy command here and then highlight it, and then click the code button up top.
MX Linux packager and developer

MiracleDinner

#25 Post by MiracleDinner »

Code: Select all

miracledinner@miracledinner-standard:~$ apt policy
Package files:
 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     release a=now
 100 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-backports/non-free amd64 Packages
     release o=Debian Backports,a=bullseye-backports,n=bullseye-backports,l=Debian Backports,c=non-free,b=amd64
     origin deb.debian.org
 100 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-backports/contrib amd64 Packages
     release o=Debian Backports,a=bullseye-backports,n=bullseye-backports,l=Debian Backports,c=contrib,b=amd64
     origin deb.debian.org
 100 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-backports/main amd64 Packages
     release o=Debian Backports,a=bullseye-backports,n=bullseye-backports,l=Debian Backports,c=main,b=amd64
     origin deb.debian.org
 500 http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye-security/non-free amd64 Packages
     release v=11,o=Debian,a=stable-security,n=bullseye-security,l=Debian-Security,c=non-free,b=amd64
     origin security.debian.org
 500 http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye-security/main amd64 Packages
     release v=11,o=Debian,a=stable-security,n=bullseye-security,l=Debian-Security,c=main,b=amd64
     origin security.debian.org
 500 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates/main amd64 Packages
     release v=11-updates,o=Debian,a=stable-updates,n=bullseye-updates,l=Debian,c=main,b=amd64
     origin deb.debian.org
 500 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/non-free amd64 Packages
     release v=11.5,o=Debian,a=stable,n=bullseye,l=Debian,c=non-free,b=amd64
     origin deb.debian.org
 500 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/contrib amd64 Packages
     release v=11.5,o=Debian,a=stable,n=bullseye,l=Debian,c=contrib,b=amd64
     origin deb.debian.org
 500 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 Packages
     release v=11.5,o=Debian,a=stable,n=bullseye,l=Debian,c=main,b=amd64
     origin deb.debian.org
Pinned packages:

MiracleDinner

#26 Post by MiracleDinner »

SOLVED - I pretty much just bit the bullet and installed all the dependencies in the required order. I found it easier to do dpkg - i rather than sudo apt install because it made it easy to see which packages I needed to install first. There were several other packages that I needed to follow SimpleBackportCreation for such as nvidia-support and nvidia-modprobe but all those went smoothly. There was also one package that I needed to extract and edit the control file because it wouldn't accept dependencies with a version number indicating a backport. Everything's installed now, and it seems to work good. I also was successful installing the experimental version of the nvidia-driver, though upon launching Minecraft with a shader on, I experienced heavy graphical glitches (I remember experiencing similar glitches on Arch Linux this summer, which at the time I fixed by installing and booting linux-lts so I'm not sure if it's the driver in itself being buggy or something to do with the kernel...) so I stuck with the 510 driver backported from bookworm

SSUPII

#27 Post by SSUPII »

MiracleDinner wrote: 2022-11-13 19:30 SOLVED - I pretty much just bit the bullet and installed all the dependencies in the required order. I found it easier to do dpkg - i rather than sudo apt install because it made it easy to see which packages I needed to install first. There were several other packages that I needed to follow SimpleBackportCreation for such as nvidia-support and nvidia-modprobe but all those went smoothly. There was also one package that I needed to extract and edit the control file because it wouldn't accept dependencies with a version number indicating a backport. Everything's installed now, and it seems to work good. I also was successful installing the experimental version of the nvidia-driver, though upon launching Minecraft with a shader on, I experienced heavy graphical glitches (I remember experiencing similar glitches on Arch Linux this summer, which at the time I fixed by installing and booting linux-lts so I'm not sure if it's the driver in itself being buggy or something to do with the kernel...) so I stuck with the 510 driver backported from bookworm
The port of 510 is good enough. We don't need to go with the driver also NVIDIA finds as experimental (that is 515). What else needs to be done for a complete backport?

MiracleDinner

#28 Post by MiracleDinner »

I'm sorry if it wasn't appropriate for me to re-open a topic I previously marked as Solved, but I now have problems with this on a new system.

After I successfully, backported the 510 drivers on 13th Nov, I later re-installed a new system using the debootstrap command-line method. On this new install, I found that my games worked much better using the version of steam from the Debian repositories (as instructed on https://wiki.debian.org/Steam#Installing_Steam). However, as the version of steam from the Debian repositories requires multiarch, it seems that now I will need to build the i386 packages for the nvidia driver backport from sid. I re-read the posts in this topic and ran

miracledinner@elimina-debian-crystal:~/.MyBuilds/nvidia-graphics-drivers-510.85.02$ debuild -B -ai386 -uc -us
dpkg-architecture: warning: specified GNU system type i686-linux-gnu does not match CC system type x86_64-linux-gnu, try setting a correct CC environment variable
 dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -ui -B -ai386
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source package nvidia-graphics-drivers
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source version 510.85.02-6~bpo11+1
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source distribution bullseye-backports
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source changed by Andreas Beckmann <miracledinner@elimina-debian-crystal>
dpkg-architecture: warning: specified GNU system type i686-linux-gnu does not match CC system type x86_64-linux-gnu, try setting a correct CC environment variable
 dpkg-source --before-build .
dpkg-buildpackage: info: host architecture i386
dpkg-checkbuilddeps: error: Unmet build dependencies: libnvidia-egl-wayland1 libglvnd-dev
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: build dependencies/conflicts unsatisfied; aborting
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: (Use -d flag to override.)
debuild: fatal error at line 1182:
Please may I have advise on why I am unable to build the 32bit libraries for the driver backport.

SSUPII

#29 Post by SSUPII »

MiracleDinner wrote: 2022-11-22 17:54 I'm sorry if it wasn't appropriate for me to re-open a topic I previously marked as Solved, but I now have problems with this on a new system.

After I successfully, backported the 510 drivers on 13th Nov, I later re-installed a new system using the debootstrap command-line method. On this new install, I found that my games worked much better using the version of steam from the Debian repositories (as instructed on https://wiki.debian.org/Steam#Installing_Steam). However, as the version of steam from the Debian repositories requires multiarch, it seems that now I will need to build the i386 packages for the nvidia driver backport from sid. I re-read the posts in this topic and ran

miracledinner@elimina-debian-crystal:~/.MyBuilds/nvidia-graphics-drivers-510.85.02$ debuild -B -ai386 -uc -us
 dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -ui -B -ai386
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source package nvidia-graphics-drivers
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source version 510.85.02-6~bpo11+1
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source distribution bullseye-backports
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source changed by Andreas Beckmann <miracledinner@elimina-debian-crystal>
 dpkg-source --before-build .
dpkg-buildpackage: info: host architecture i386
dpkg-checkbuilddeps: error: Unmet build dependencies: libnvidia-egl-wayland1 libglvnd-dev
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: build dependencies/conflicts unsatisfied; aborting
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: (Use -d flag to override.)
debuild: fatal error at line 1182:
Please may I have advise on why I am unable to build the 32bit libraries for the driver backport.
Am I missing something, or is it stating its missing some i386 dependencies? `libnvidia-egl-wayland1 libglvnd-dev`

MiracleDinner

#30 Post by MiracleDinner »

Both those packages are installed on my system according to "apt list --installed" (presumably because on the system I'm currently running, I have the NVIDIA 470 drivers in the meantime until I can succesfully backport 510 drivers, so they'd have been pulled in as dependencies) - is there anything else I need to do?