Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

glibc-doc misses pthread_create() description: is it intent?

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
ruwolf

glibc-doc misses pthread_create() description: is it intent?

#1 Post by ruwolf »

It seems to me, that The GNU C Library Reference Manual,
installed by package glibc-doc 2.31-13+deb11u5 (glibc-doc-reference 2.31-1 respectively),
does not contain direct description of this function:

Code: Select all

#include <pthread.h>

int pthread_create(pthread_t *thread, const pthread_attr_t *attr,
                   void *(*start_routine) (void *), void *arg);
I cannot estimate: Is it intetion or bug?

LE_746F6D617A7A69

Re: glibc-doc misses pthread_create() description: is it intent?

#2 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

ruwolf wrote: 2022-11-29 15:34 It seems to me, that The GNU C Library Reference Manual,
installed by package glibc-doc 2.31-13+deb11u5 (glibc-doc-reference 2.31-1 respectively),
does not contain direct description of this function: (...)
It looks like a BUG.
You can try the packages: manpages-dev and manpages-posix-dev which provide correct manpages. (manpages-posix-dev contains full description of pthread_create() )

I think that You should report this as a BUG.

Regards
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

ruwolf

#3 Post by ruwolf »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: 2022-11-29 21:20 It looks like a BUG.
You can try the packages: manpages-dev and manpages-posix-dev which provide correct manpages. (manpages-posix-dev contains full description of pthread_create() )

I think that You should report this as a BUG.

Regards
I have found, that they know about it:
glibc wiki: Master Todo List: Documentation: POSIX Threads
At present the glibc manual has *no* pthread documentation, and we need to fix this.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#4 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

ruwolf wrote: 2022-11-30 18:07
At present the glibc manual has *no* pthread documentation, and we need to fix this.
Hmm, that's strange, because the PDF version of Reference Manual contains a complete documentation for the library, and moreover it's updated for every single release.

Anyway, although man <func_name> is very convenient to use, there is an important thing to mention: only the Reference Manual contains detailed information about thread/async-signal/async-cancellation/... safety of each single function (POSIX Safety Concepts)

This information is critical when writing non-trivial programs, and the manpages-posix-dev are not providing complete/up-to-date information in this matter (in fact, only thread-safety information is available, and it may be not applicable for current version of the lib)
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed