Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How long should it take to install on a vm?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
newdebuser

#1 Post by newdebuser »

I am trying to do an advanced install using preseeding but it takes super long for some reason. I'm using the sample (https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/ ... reseed.txt) and all I did was change the install from lvm to regular and created a normal user account. I left everything else as-is. It takes hours.

How do I install the most basic install and I can run a script to install everything that I need to make it a domain member and install the multimedia packages at first login?

dlu2021

Re: How long should it take to install on a vm?

#2 Post by dlu2021 »

newdebuser wrote: 2022-11-28 15:50 I am trying to do an advanced install using preseeding but it takes super long for some reason. I'm using the sample (https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/ ... reseed.txt) and all I did was change the install from lvm to regular and created a normal user account. I left everything else as-is. It takes hours.
If you left the tasksel portion of the preseed as default, it will install the Gnome DE, which is a large set of packages. Also, the sample preseed file that you linked to, is for Buster, is there any reason not to use Bullseye?

If you are using a VM, make sure that you have the "virtualization extensions" enabled in the BIOS for the fastest speed.

newdebuser wrote: 2022-11-28 15:50 How do I install the most basic install and I can run a script to install everything that I need to make it a domain member and install the multimedia packages at first login?
To get a minimal install, that boots you to the command line, you would want to uncheck everything on the tasksel screen, except for the standard system utilities, then after the reboot, you can install whatever extra packages that you want.

newdebuser

#3 Post by newdebuser »

If you left the tasksel portion of the preseed as default, it will install the Gnome DE, which is a large set of packages. Also, the sample preseed file that you linked to, is for Buster, is there any reason not to use Bullseye?
No reason I didn't use the Bullseye. I didn't pay attention but I didn't see any specific references to buster.

If you are using a VM, make sure that you have the "virtualization extensions" enabled in the BIOS for the fastest speed.
I am just testing on a vm. I plan to put this on all of the laptops and desktops in the house once I get it working right. The install has been running for almost 5hrs now. It is still moving along but man is it slow. I'll try that virtualization extensions.
To get a minimal install, that boots you to the command line, you would want to uncheck everything on the tasksel screen, except for the standard system utilities, then after the reboot, you can install whatever extra packages that you want.
I may do this but is this a six in one hand, half dozen in the other scenario? I was thinking the install process adds to the slowness but if the issue is my bios settings, it may not matter.

Thanks!

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

Something is wrong. A minimal install can take 10 minutes. Even a fully loaded Gnome system should still take less than half an hour.

newdebuser

#5 Post by newdebuser »

Something is wrong. A minimal install can take 10 minutes. Even a fully loaded Gnome system should still take less than half an hour.
That's what I figured but I don't know the problem.

I've tried with many different images.
  • debian-11.1.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso
    firmware-11.5.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso
    debian-11.5.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso
I created the usb with:

Code: Select all

dd if=debian-11.5.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso bs=4M of=/dev/sdg; sync
Whether I do it with or w/o preseed.cfg it sometimes fails

Code: Select all

[!!] Select and install software
Installation setup failed
An installation step failed. You can try to run the failing item again from the menu, or skip it and choose something else.  The failing step is: Select and install software
After retrying a few times it completes but even the times when this doesn't happen, it takes hours to complete with no errors. I am hardwired, not wifi.

NorthEast

#6 Post by NorthEast »

If the iso on the usb "sometimes fails", you could verify the iso with the SHA512SUMS. You could check the memory on the machine with memtest86+. Presumably enough memory has been allocated for the VM. Just thoughts rather than answers.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by sunrat »

I never used a USB drive to install a VM. Just select the ISO file in virt-manager or whatever and install directly. Some USB sticks can be just slowwwwww. I have a couple like that which I would never use to install an OS.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

newdebuser

#8 Post by newdebuser »

I was kind of mixing apples and oranges. I do get that error on both the vm and the laptop but the usb is only used on the laptop. The vm just gets the iso loaded as a cd drive.

I have the ASRock B550 mb and I've enabled SVM but there has been no difference in the amount of time it takes to install using virtualbox.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#9 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

newdebuser wrote: 2022-11-28 15:50 I am trying to do an advanced install using preseeding
- What is Your host OS?
- What VM You're using?
- What text editor You have used to edit the preseed file?
A: It should be *much* faster than installing on real HW (mainly due to doubled storage caching levels, especially if the host OS is Linux-based), unless You choose the option to upgrade the system during installation - then the time depends on Your internet connection speed (and, possibly on the mirror servers load)
newdebuser wrote: 2022-11-29 15:39 Whether I do it with or w/o preseed.cfg it sometimes fails
What is the type of storage/file system that holds the VM disk image?

Also, are You sure that host OS is stable? I mean that f.e. You can run memtest/memtester to verify the RAM stability.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed