Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Testing - Bookworm] [Software] IP address refuses to change [Solved]

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
MikeLieberman

Re: [Testing - Bookworm] [Software] IP address refuses to change

#21 Post by MikeLieberman »

@donald
I didn't purge BIND until after I ran the journal. That's why you see the output.

@reinob
I set NM up as true only after I opened this thread and, either sunrat or CwF suggested that I create a file for the IP address and se netmanager to true.
I didn't back that out but it made no difference.

BUT Reinob, you solved it! Using grep as you suggested, I found a text file with -rw------- that hold the value. I went in as root and changed it to the IP address I wanted and rebooted. It worked!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [Testing - Bookworm] [Software] IP address refuses to change

#22 Post by sunrat »

MikeLieberman wrote: 2022-11-30 04:58 sunrat or CwF suggested that I create a file for the IP address and se netmanager to true.
I didn't back that out but it made no difference.
Err, that's not what I said. I posted a quote from the wiki that said if it was set to managed=true it may override the interfaces file, to explain why whatever you were setting was not being followed.
BUT Reinob, you solved it! Using grep as you suggested, I found a text file with -rw------- that hold the value. I went in as root and changed it to the IP address I wanted and rebooted. It worked!
Do tell, which file was it? System config files need to be edited as root and -rw------- shows it was rw for it's owner, which probably should be root. Were you trying to edit it as normal user? That would explain a lot, including why your edits didn't stick.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

MikeLieberman

Re: [Testing - Bookworm] [Software] IP address refuses to change [Solved]

#23 Post by MikeLieberman »

Do tell, which file was it?
I never created the file, nor saw it until I issued the grep command. The system created it.

It was a file "/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/Wired connection 1" and it was root. I had to edit it under sudo.

Code: Select all

-rw------- 1 root root 286 Nov 30 12:50 '/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/Wired connection 1'
I also was not in root when doing anything before other than when I logged in as root under XFCE to try using the GUI tools to change the IP to the proper one. That action did not create the file.

It may be that once I invoked NetworkManager that it saw the something that was already there and creating my problem, and created the file by 'taking over.' I have no way to know. Too much has gone on in this process. BUT the reality is that there was a file with root only privileges that eventually was the block I needed to deal with the resolve the problem.

The file I was directed to create was /etc/systemd/network/static.network. That is the ONLY file I created. After that it was mentioned that I should set

Code: Select all

/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf 
[ifupdown]
managed=true
which I did.
All other work I did was in the gui as a user.