Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Can't properly close Seamonkey

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
MakeTopSite

[Solved] Can't properly close Seamonkey

#1 Post by MakeTopSite »

I start it from terminal, Ctrl-C is needed to close Seamonkey. Can it please be fixed ?

Debian 11 32 bit.
No apparent problem in log which BTW seems to be incomplete:

Code: Select all

# journalctl -r
Nov 19 10:14:27 maketopsite ntpd[780]: receive: Unexpected origin timestamp 0xe7230ee3.8b2134b6 does not match aorg 0000000000.0>
Nov 19 10:14:27 maketopsite ntpd[780]: receive: Unexpected origin timestamp 0xe7230ee3.8b1a2996 does not match aorg 0000000000.0>
Nov 19 10:14:27 maketopsite ntpd[780]: receive: Unexpected origin timestamp 0xe7230ee3.8b20a35a does not match aorg 0000000000.0>
Nov 19 10:14:27 maketopsite systemd[1]: Started Run anacron jobs.
Nov 19 10:14:27 maketopsite ntpd[780]: receive: Unexpected origin timestamp 0xe7230ee3.8b1ff48e does not match aorg 0000000000.0>
-- Boot c7f6baee37cd4b5a80ff5a0b0480fce5 --
Nov 19 10:03:53 maketopsite systemd-journald[454]: Journal stopped
#

Code: Select all

systemctl status systemd-journald
looks ok, there is enough disk space.
Last edited by MakeTopSite on 2022-11-23 07:26, edited 1 time in total.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [Software] Can't properly close Seamonkey

#2 Post by sunrat »

Seamonkey is not a Debian package, so Debian is not the place to ask if it can be fixed.
Unless it's a window manager issue but you have not supplied any info to suggest what it may be.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#3 Post by donald »

@MakeTopSite Why are you closing the GUI with the command line? I run seamonkey natively and have no issues even when trying the CTRL+C....though I have lots of keyserver issues in journal....
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

MakeTopSite

#4 Post by MakeTopSite »

sunrat wrote: 2022-11-19 10:56 Seamonkey is not a Debian package, so Debian is not the place to ask if it can be fixed.
Unless it's a window manager issue but you have not supplied any info to suggest what it may be.
I'm using seamonkey downloaded from www.seamonkey-project.org. Excuse me I'm using IceWM. This problem doesn't appear on openSUSE Tumbleweed 32 bit (same seamonkey binary)

MakeTopSite

#5 Post by MakeTopSite »

donald wrote: 2022-11-20 00:48 @MakeTopSite Why are you closing the GUI with the command line? I run seamonkey natively and have no issues even when trying the CTRL+C....though I have lots of keyserver issues in journal....
Because clicking on Seamonkey's "X" icon does not work. It's still runing.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#6 Post by oswaldkelso »

version of icewm?

version of seamonkey?

Are they up to date or patched.

Does ctrl+q work? shutting down from seamonkey directly

Does Alt+F4 close the window from icewm?

Have you changed any setting in icewm? The newer versions make it very simple to enable and disable features and there
are lots of setting that are very powerful but to easy to change either with out knowing exactly what the outcome is or accidentally. Once configured I disable the settings submenu see below.

# Show settings submenu
ShowSettingsMenu=0 # 0/1

Backup or rename your hidden .icewm and try the default settings. If it fixes it redo your icewm preferences.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

MakeTopSite

Re: [Software] SOLVED Can't properly close Seamonkey

#7 Post by MakeTopSite »

oswaldkelso wrote: 2022-11-21 12:13 version of icewm?

version of seamonkey?

Are they up to date or patched.

Does ctrl+q work? shutting down from seamonkey directly

Does Alt+F4 close the window from icewm?

Have you changed any setting in icewm? The newer versions make it very simple to enable and disable features and there
are lots of setting that are very powerful but to easy to change either with out knowing exactly what the outcome is or accidentally. Once configured I disable the settings submenu see below.

# Show settings submenu
ShowSettingsMenu=0 # 0/1

Backup or rename your hidden .icewm and try the default settings. If it fixes it redo your icewm preferences.
Everything is of latest stable version.

ctrl+q does not work even with new-default icewm profile.

Alt+F4 close the window from icewm (with exception of seamonkey).

I've extracted again archive with seamonkey binary and run it. Session was reset (without apparent reason). After few restarts of seamonkey it seems to be solved.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: [Solved] Can't properly close Seamonkey

#8 Post by oswaldkelso »

It seems your old seamonkey profile was corrupted

Installing a new binary will have changed your default profile.

~/.mozilla/seamonkey/xyz123.default/

I can't recall if it gets over written so you may have several seemingly random named directories in .mozilla/seamonkey. I think it just updates the profiles.ini file to point to the new settings. If so you can manage/create/delete/switch profiles to test them. I use them to view dodgy streaming sports sites and keep my main profile clean.

From the seamonkey toolbar: tools > switch profiles This is handy because it means you don't have to reinstall a new binary if your profile gets corrupted it also allows movement of heavily customised profiles to other systems.

profiles.ini
------------
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=xyz123.default
Default=1
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

MakeTopSite

#9 Post by MakeTopSite »

oswaldkelso wrote: 2022-11-23 10:45 It seems your old seamonkey profile was corrupted

I can't recall if it gets over written so you may have several seemingly random named directories in .mozilla/seamonkey. I think it just updates the profiles.ini file to point to the new settings. If so you can manage/create/delete/switch profiles to test them. I use them to view dodgy streaming sports sites and keep my main profile clean.

From the seamonkey toolbar: tools > switch profiles This is handy because it means you don't have to reinstall a new binary if your profile gets corrupted it also allows movement of heavily customised profiles to other systems.

profiles.ini
------------
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=xyz123.default
Default=1
Thank you there is one default profile only.

MakeTopSite

#10 Post by MakeTopSite »

Problem has returned after short time of use.

MakeTopSite

#11 Post by MakeTopSite »

oswaldkelso wrote: 2022-11-23 10:45 It seems your old seamonkey profile was corrupted

profiles.ini
------------
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=xyz123.default
Default=1
It seems problem does not appear in newly created profile.