Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] trying to understand services

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
geotechtribe

[Software] trying to understand services

#1 Post by geotechtribe »

Just a quick question as I am trying to understand a little more about Debian's configuration...

I am using Bookworm (testing). On my latest upgrade, after running the upgrade and then logging out and logging back in to reset most of the services, I ran this and found that wireplumber was flagged:

Code: Select all

$ sudo checkrestart
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfsd-fuse file system /run/user/1000/gvfs
      Output information may be incomplete.
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.portal file system /run/user/1000/doc
      Output information may be incomplete.
Found 1 processes using old versions of upgraded files
(1 distinct program)
(1 distinct packages)
These processes (1) do not seem to have an associated init script to restart them:
wireplumber:
        1807    /usr/bin/wireplumber
So I googled wireplumber and found that it is associated with pipewire. Multiple pages on pipewire talk about running pipewire with systemd. But in checking on Debian,

$ systemctl | grep pipewire

Nothing. But pipewire is running:

$ ps ax | grep pipewire
   1805 ?        S<sl   0:00 /usr/bin/pipewire
   1808 ?        S<sl   0:00 /usr/bin/pipewire-pulse
   $ ps ax | grep wire
   1805 ?        S<sl   0:00 /usr/bin/pipewire
   1807 ?        S<sl   0:00 /usr/bin/wireplumber
   1808 ?        S<sl   0:00 /usr/bin/pipewire-pulse
So just wondering how Bookworm starts the pipewire service, in case I ever need to restart it. And on that note, also wondering how/why some services are run using systemd and others are run in some other way.

el_koraco

Re: [Software] trying to understand services

#2 Post by el_koraco »

pipewire runs as a user service. Try to search for it like this, to use your method:

systemctl --user | grep pipewire

geotechtribe

#3 Post by geotechtribe »

Ok, thank you! The output shows here:

~$ systemctl --user | grep pipewire
  pipewire-pulse.service                                                                                                                    loaded active running   PipeWire PulseAudio
  pipewire.service                                                                                                                          loaded active running   PipeWire Multimedia Service
  pipewire-pulse.socket                                                                                                                     loaded active running   PipeWire PulseAudio
  pipewire.socket                                                                                                                           loaded active running   PipeWire Multimedia System Socket

el_koraco

#4 Post by el_koraco »

I am on stable, so I am not sure, but my guess is pipewire has been pushed to testing as the default sound server. Give me the output of

LANG=C pactl info | grep '^Server Name'