Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

WiFi Not Working During Install (But working with LIVE ISO)

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
eyeprotocol

WiFi Not Working During Install (But working with LIVE ISO)

#1 Post by eyeprotocol »

Hello. I have a laptop which has a wifi adapter not supported by Debian stable, so i purchased two different usb wifi adapters, from different vendors, both claiming that they work with Linux. I tried both of them with the 11.5.0 live DVD (the one that includes the non-free firmware) and indeed both work. Then i attempted a proper installation, starting with the mininal ISO (11.5.0, also with the non-free things included). It does detect the adapter(s), it does properly show the names of available wifi networks, yet it does not connect to any of them, while providing proper credentials of course. So, installation will not proceed. Please assist if possible.

peer

Re: WiFi Not Working During Install (But working with LIVE ISO)

#2 Post by peer »

I did have the same problem with an wifi usb adapter. I also saw the available networks but could not connect.

work around:
install with ethernet cable connected.
After installation remove the cable and connect to wifi

eyeprotocol

#3 Post by eyeprotocol »

This laptop has no ethernet port. Many modern non-expensive ones do not. This is an HP, by the way.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

What is the identity of this mystery wifi adapter?
It may need a more recent kernel or firmware, or failing that it may need a third party driver to be built.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

eyeprotocol

#5 Post by eyeprotocol »

sunrat wrote: 2022-12-05 23:36 What is the identity of this mystery wifi adapter?
It may need a more recent kernel or firmware, or failing that it may need a third party driver to be built.
There are two adapters in question here.
The first one is Edimax Dual Band USB Adapter N150+BT.
The other one is TP-Link TL-WN725N Nano USB WLAN Stick Adaptor.

Both work when booting the 11.5.0 Live ISO (Gnome tested, XFCE tested) but both behave as described during installation from a minimal ISO (11.5.0, NetInstall).

I am aware that despite both being marked as working with Linux, it could turn out that they do not, or that it could turn out that they need more recent kernels (mind you, that the Edimax is not a recent device). But having them working on one occasion and not working in the other occasion, is a mind mess.

I suppose i could also test them with another distro (Mint comes to mind) but it would make no sense, Mint supports the wi-fi card included with the laptop.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Do you have

Code: Select all

firmware-realtek
?

The N150 seems to be alias EW-7811Un, based on a Realtek chip and thus requiring the above firmware. Seems to be pretty old hat (kernel 3.16), so no reason it won't work with the right firmware.

https://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x

Any reason you don't just install from the live DVD, as everything works?

Addendum: TL-WN725N looks like it is alias RTL8188EU (if it is V3). Again old hat, in kernel since 3.16, just needs same firmware.
Last edited by FreewheelinFrank on 2022-12-06 10:21, edited 1 time in total.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by sunrat »

The laptop one is what I meant. If Mint supports it, it can most likely be configured to work in Debian. From the live system, post the output of

lspci -knn |grep -A3 -i net
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

eyeprotocol

#8 Post by eyeprotocol »

sunrat wrote: 2022-12-06 09:51The laptop one is what I meant.
It is the Realtek RTL8821CE.
sunrat wrote: 2022-12-06 09:51If Mint supports it, it can most likely be configured to work in Debian.
Mint supports it right from the start, but with a ton of error messages in logs.
However it provides the option to install a dkms build (available in deb format) that actually sets the world right.
This particular deb is not available for Debian's stable, as far as i am aware.

eyeprotocol

#9 Post by eyeprotocol »

FreewheelinFrank wrote: 2022-12-06 09:48 Do you have

firmware-realtek
?

The N150 seems to be alias EW-7811Un, based on a Realtek chip and thus requiring the above firmware. Seems to be pretty old hat (kernel 3.16), so no reason it won't work with the right firmware.

https://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x

Any reason you don't just install from the live DVD, as everything works?

Addendum: TL-WN725N looks like it is alias RTL8188EU (if it is V3). Again old hat, in kernel since 3.16, just needs same firmware.
I wish to install a minimal XFCE system.
As far as i am aware, i can not have the firmware-realtek available during installation.
Am i wasted?
:)

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

The Netinstall does not have non-free firmware, as far as I can see (never used it). If you want to go that way, you will have to download the firmware on a USB drove from another device and manually install it.

It is probably possible to select what you want to install from the non-free live DVD. The XFCE install is minimalist enough for me, but tastes vary.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#11 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

eyeprotocol wrote: 2022-12-06 10:23
sunrat wrote: 2022-12-06 09:51The laptop one is what I meant.
It is the Realtek RTL8821CE.
sunrat wrote: 2022-12-06 09:51If Mint supports it, it can most likely be configured to work in Debian.
Mint supports it right from the start, but with a ton of error messages in logs.
However it provides the option to install a dkms build (available in deb format) that actually sets the world right.
This particular deb is not available for Debian's stable, as far as i am aware.
Kernel from backports will do the trick.

viewtopic.php?t=151517

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#12 Post by arochester »

I am writing from a laptop without an ethernet port. I installed using a USB-ethernet adapter and have a kind of minimal LXQt.

Adapter like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402687986579?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Post by sunrat »

For the Realtek RTL8821CE, the driver is reportedly in the backports kernel as of Feb this year - viewtopic.php?t=151517
eyeprotocol wrote: 2022-12-06 10:25I wish to install a minimal XFCE system.
As far as i am aware, i can not have the firmware-realtek available during installation.
The "unofficial" firmware netinstall is here. It includes firmware-realtek - https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... 64/iso-cd/ ( @FreewheelinFrank :wink: ) I think that's the image OP used, mentioned in first post.
Am i wasted?
:)
Maybe. Watcha bin smokin? :mrgreen:
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

itmicp

#14 Post by itmicp »

Hi

If you want to install debian, you can try with this one : firmware-11.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso (476M)

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... 64/iso-cd/
… this unofficial alternative build includes non-free firmware for extra support for some awkward hardware. …
=> firmware-realtek included

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#15 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

sunrat wrote: 2022-12-06 12:10 For the Realtek RTL8821CE, the driver is reportedly in the backports kernel as of Feb this year - viewtopic.php?t=151517
eyeprotocol wrote: 2022-12-06 10:25I wish to install a minimal XFCE system.
The "unofficial" firmware netinstall is here. It includes firmware-realtek - https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... 64/iso-cd/ ( @FreewheelinFrank :wink: ) I think that's the image OP used, mentioned in first post.
Missed that, thanks.

In theory it should work, as the kernel has the driver and the firmware is installed, unless kernels for the netinstall are trimmed down somehow.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#16 Post by arochester »

If you have access to another computer, you could install the firmware to a flash drive and it will be recognised in the install process.

See, e.g., https://www.linux.com/training-tutorial ... -or-sound/

eyeprotocol

#17 Post by eyeprotocol »

Friends, i am already using the non-free variants of the installer or the live cd. The package "firmware-realtek" may be included (or not) but it is not "loaded" during installation, so none of your suggestions work, unfortunately. Is there a way to use the firmware-realtek package during installation? (By the way, i seached my vault and found an even older usb wifi adapter from, using the atheros chipset. Again, fully working with Live ISO, not working during installation).

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#18 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Is your network on channel 13 perchance?

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... -see-wi-fi

NorthEast

#19 Post by NorthEast »

eyeprotocol wrote:
Is there a way to use the firmware-realtek package during installation?
Yes. From: https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... 04.en.html
6.4. Loading Missing Firmware

As described in Section 2.2, “Devices Requiring Firmware”, some devices require firmware to be loaded. In most cases the device will not work at all if the firmware is not available; sometimes basic functionality is not impaired if it is missing and the firmware is only needed to enable additional features.

If a device driver requests firmware that is not available, debian-installer will display a dialog offering to load the missing firmware. If this option is selected, debian-installer will scan available devices for either loose firmware files or packages containing firmware. If found, the firmware will be copied to the correct location (/lib/firmware) and the driver module will be reloaded.
[Note] Note

Which devices are scanned and which file systems are supported depends on the architecture, the installation method and the stage of the installation. Especially during the early stages of the installation, loading the firmware is most likely to succeed from a FAT-formatted USB stick. On i386 and amd64 firmware can also be loaded from an MMC or SD card.

Note that it is possible to skip loading the firmware if you know the device will also function without it, or if the device is not needed during the installation.
Worked for me from a usb with firmware files written to it.

eyeprotocol

#20 Post by eyeprotocol »

NorthEast wrote: 2022-12-06 20:03 Worked for me from a usb with firmware files written to it.
Thank you, but my case is different. Debian thinks it supports my usb adapter, properly scans my network, provides me with a chance to provide proper credentials and then fails to connect (while it does with the Live ISO). As for the built-in adapter (the RTL8821CE one) it is not detected at all, not even as something that may need extra firmware. So it appears to be a dead-end despite all your friend's efforts. I will be attempting an installation with another adapter, a USB -> Ethernet one. I am hoping this one will not fail.