Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] [Solved?] Increasing the Resolution of the TTY/Virtual Terminal

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
act

[Solved] [Solved?] Increasing the Resolution of the TTY/Virtual Terminal

#1 Post by act »

I have a very old Laptop that I'm trying to make into a little Linux box. The only issue is that seemingly, the terminal is way too small.
I should specify, by "terminal" I mean the actual proper full-screen, white-text-on-black-background no-GUI pure-CLI terminal that scares new Linux users when they accidentally hit Ctrl+Alt+F1. By "too small", I mean the resolution is about 800 by 600 pixels - when it should be around 1024 by 768 pixels.

Now, I have already tried what should be a fix. In the file /etc/default/grub, I've added the command GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1024x768. I then saved the file, ran the command update-grub as root, and then rebooted. I should also note that I was able to change the Kernal boot parameters beforehand using this method, so the change to the resolution of the Virtual Terminal should have taken effect. But alas, nothing.

Can anyone help me on this one? It'd be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by act on 2022-12-10 09:42, edited 1 time in total.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Installation] Increasing the Resolution of the TTY/Virtual Terminal

#2 Post by CwF »

Code: Select all

# dpkg-reconfigure console-setup
set to a larger font size

act

#3 Post by act »

CwF wrote: 2022-12-07 01:28

That... isn't what I'm asking. This is about the resolution - not the font size. But I'll try. If it works, and I'm just an idiot, then I'll personally apologise as I say the issue is resolved.

act

#4 Post by act »

CwF wrote: 2022-12-07 01:28

Alright, that did not work... I think. I'm doing a fresh install, and if me retrying what I originally did in hopes that something magically went wrong without my knowledge after reinstalling the entire operating system doesn't work, then I'll try what you've suggested. But I really don't feel like that'd work.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by p.H »

What GPU does this laptop have ?

lspci -nnkd ::300
dmesg |grep -Ei "frame|console|fbcon"

act

#6 Post by act »

For some reason, after reinstalling Debian, the issue fixed itself. I was, as I was before, able to increase the resolution to my terminal by way of adding

GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1024x768
to my GRUB config file. I have no idea what caused the initial issue - my best guess is divine intervention.