Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Fresh Debian 11 install (files reappear)

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
hawghaven

[Solved] Fresh Debian 11 install (files reappear)

#1 Post by hawghaven »

Hello All...
I just did a clean install of Debian 11 last week, I went from Gnome DE to Cinnamon DE.
My problem is this:
When I delete files from my Downloads folder, to the trash can or delete permanently they reappear the next day. Same with organizing folders.
If I'm in Documents folder and move files to a named folder in Documents, they return to the original location the next day. But the files that I moved are in the new folder I made the day before. (Weird Right) ???
Why are all my files returning to the original locations?
I also move the files to a network folder and they return the next day...
I have even emptied the trash can, and yet the files return the next day. I'm baffled!

Help!
Last edited by hawghaven on 2022-12-08 13:20, edited 1 time in total.

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: Fresh Debian 11 install (files reappear)

#2 Post by NFT5 »

Are you using a file synchronisation program? Like Syncthing or one of the many others based on rsync?

hawghaven

#3 Post by hawghaven »

YES...
I use Lucky Backup to backup my HOME directory to a network drive. And I also use Syncthing to sync (1) network folder on each of my networked PC's. Syncthing has nothing to do with my HOME directory. Do you think it could be Lucky Backup? It's not set to restore, only backup.

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#4 Post by NFT5 »

Syncthing caught me out initially. You may need to check that it isn't syncing both ways or that you haven't created a loop. I use it to sync some folders in /home between server and desktop and notebook but it was seeing deleted folders as missing and restoring them from the machine that I hadn't deleted them. It can be a bit tricky, but really useful when set up right.

hawghaven

#5 Post by hawghaven »

I will double check my setting, But like I said: Syncthing has nothing to do with my HOME directory. Just a single folder on the server called NOTES. So I can work out of it from any work station. Thanks for your help. BTW, that folder is a child folder of the DEFAULT folder that Syncthing creates on install.

hawghaven

#6 Post by hawghaven »

FYI:
I found the problem. It was Lucky Backup. It runs on all 6 networked PC's. All have settings to backup the HOME directory (source inside destination) DEBIAN Desktop had a setting to (synchronize source and destination).
I know you did not solve the problem, but you got me going in the right direction. THANK-YOU. (NFTS)