Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] Debian's installer seems to make it difficult to install a clean "base"

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
kpedersen

[Software] Debian's installer seems to make it difficult to install a clean "base"

#1 Post by kpedersen »

Hi all,

I have installed Debian a number of times over the many years but one thing I have never quite understood is what the installer is trying to achieve during the following steps (assuming text installer and netinst CD to keep things simple).
  • The first part of the install "Installing the base system". This makes sense, userland, kernel packages, extracted and configured (similar to debootstrap)
  • A dialog comes up "Configure the package manager" warning that without a mirror, my install will be minimal, do I want to continue? If I select Yes, it installs some random crap:
    • popularity contest
    • discover
    • ... some more random stuff

If I instead select "Go back", it takes me to the "back scene" installer menu which seems a little awkward from a interface point of view but it does allow me to go straight to the bootloader installation and skip some of these erroneous base packages.

I get that if people were using the DVD image, they might want to select a desktop environment here but even so, it still installs some unnecessary packages which it shouldn't be during this step.

Is anyone able to shed some light on this seemingly strange behaviour? Thanks!

codejp3

Re: [Software] Debian's installer seems to make it difficult to install a clean "base"

#2 Post by codejp3 »

I can't offer any explanation or suggest any way to improve the GUI installer.

What I can suggest is my typical install approach - use the minimal netinstall version with no GUI. It's blazing fast, no junk packages, and no quarks like you're describing. Once it's done either run apt commands or use tasksel to install your GUI of choice over top of it. Plus you can pick your packages carefully instead of just "getting whatever is included", which rarely matches my intended use for a system.

Like I said, I have nothing to offer regarding the GUI install. It's great for newbies who are new to Linux. It's a time-consuming and unnecessary hurdle for those more experienced with Linux. Netinstall, plus GUI of choice, plus selective packages is the way to go....at least for me.