Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] Need a video player

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Caitlin

[Software] Need a video player

#1 Post by Caitlin »

I need to select and install a video player that doesn't trash my system upon installation. All the ones I looked at deinstall oodles of packages first, including some tools like KWrite that I use heavily and depend on. (I don't see why a video player should conflict with a text editor -- they are two entirely different things!)

Does anyone know a video player that doesn't deinstall so much?

VLC is not an option. This is non-negotiable.

Caitlin

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Need a video player

#3 Post by Hallvor »

That doesn't sound like normal behavior, at least not in stable. Would you care to tell us what version you are running?
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

mpv is the best especially if you take the time to configure it. Does everything.

el_koraco

#5 Post by el_koraco »

mplayer

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

CwF wrote: 2022-11-09 18:40 mpv is the best especially if you take the time to configure it. Does everything.
Agreed. Not tied to any particular DE. Does indeed do everything. Based on mplayer2 IIRC. The man page is an encyclopedia of possible configuration and usage, but mine has been installed for years with no config tweaks needed.

What player proposed to remove oodles of packages? That's seriously wrong.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by Hallvor »

sunrat wrote: 2022-11-09 20:23 What player proposed to remove oodles of packages? That's seriously wrong.
Yes, this looks like a broken system to me.
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

vixxkigoli

Re: [Software] Need a video player

#8 Post by vixxkigoli »

I am using Debian MATE Bullseye

let me share my setting with you guys so no one have to go through any trouble here.

I have installed mpv

command to install:

sudo apt-get install mpv

Then I did customized it by creating config file, command used to create config file:

touch ~/.config/mpv/mpv.conf

then I used text editor (pluma) to edit the file and put my own flags there, you can use gedit as well or even nano, vi, my flags were:

#start of file
border=no
autofit=40%
#geometry=600x320
volume=40
#End of file

explanation:

Line starts with '#' are comments those are not settings but just some text to understand and mpv ignores it or you can desable any flag as I done in case of '#geometry=600x320' command

border=no

This will tell mpv not to show us border of windows and it will use it's own 'transparent like' borders, usually I turn it off by commenting it via '#'

autofit=40%

If video is greater than screen, the mpv will automatically change it's own window size less or 40% of the video, this will prevent high resolution video to be render on my full screen and every time I have not to resize window anymore.

volume=40

set default value of volume to 40% so your ears will be always protected.

#geometry=600x320

It is commented because, first I tried to set default window size according to my need but I found ''autofit=40%
" option better than that

At last but useless to you, if you don't have any hardware acceleration on your computer then you can use this option to render video

vo=x11

Hope some of baby user, who wants to use Debian on low powered computer find my reply useful.

Also more flags will be endorsed.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by CwF »

Mine keeps growing;

Code: Select all

$  ls -1R ~/.config/mpv
channels.conf
dvb
image-input.conf
input.conf
mpv.conf
scripts

~/.config/mpv/dvb:
2103to2201-patch
2201.conf
2201.services
channels-by-number.conf
dump
fullscan

~/.config/mpv/scripts:
autoload.lua
gpufreq.lua
stats.lua
time.lua
zones.lua
...and I'm working on audio-input.conf and its associated .desktop file.
image-input.conf also has a .desktop file.

Blainedebi

#10 Post by Blainedebi »

You guys why don't using VLC instead of command line stuff?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Post by sunrat »

Blainedebi wrote: 2022-12-08 01:48 You guys why don't using VLC instead of command line stuff?
Because MPV is better. It's not command line but can be launched from there (VLC can too). It has a very basic popup menu but extensive keyboard controls. The posts above are mainly config tweaks which are not essential to using it.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#12 Post by canci »

I'd also suggest mpv over vlc, as I've found it to be leaner and more stable over the years.
There are also frontends for mpv if you need more GUI options, like celluloid or haruna.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#13 Post by Hallvor »

sunrat wrote: 2022-12-08 02:02 Because MPV is better.
Does it have GPU acceleration like VLC? (I tested it, and it was substantially heavier on CPU.)

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Post by sunrat »

Hallvor wrote: 2022-12-08 09:04
sunrat wrote: 2022-12-08 02:02 Because MPV is better.
Does it have GPU acceleration like VLC? (I tested it, and it was substantially heavier on CPU.)
Yes, but depends on hardware. I think hardware acceleration is default on my desktop with dedicated Nvidia GTX970 and using about 7% CPU for a 1080p H264 file atm. But on my Intel notebook I had to set in ~/.config/mpv/mpv.conf

hwdec=vaapi 
# and possibly(although they may be default now)
vo=gpu
gpucontext=x11egl
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#15 Post by Hallvor »

That was quite an improvement. Thanks!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Post by sunrat »

Hallvor wrote: 2022-12-08 10:57 That was quite an improvement. Thanks!
Yeah for sure. Notebook had horrible glitches and stutters playing HEVC files until I set that.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#17 Post by canci »

I route online video streams through mpv (which can also use youtube-dl in the background to play them) because Firefox just won't accelerate videos for me with my AMD GPU.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#18 Post by CwF »

Hallvor wrote: 2022-12-08 09:04 Does it have GPU acceleration like VLC? (I tested it, and it was substantially heavier on CPU.)
Sure!
From a genmon that monitors status and can spawn a selection menu, it generates a command line to spawn some terminal tabs, so I can see errors, The mpv tab can control the resulting mpv display window, which also has the typical window controls...

xfce4-terminal --tab --title PBS6 --command "gnutv -adapter 1 -out dvr 6.1" --tab --title 6.1 --command "mpv /dev/dvb/adapter1/dvr0"
a tab;

Using frontend "LG Electronics LGDT3306A VSB/QAM Frontend", type ATSC
status SCVYL | signal e146 | snr 00d6 | ber ffffffff | unc 000000ff | FE_HAS_LOCK
and another tab;

Playing: /dev/dvb/adapter2/dvr0
AO: [pulse] 48000Hz stereo 2ch float
VO: [gpu] 720x480 => 853x480 yuv420p
 (+) Video --vid=1 (mpeg2video 720x480 29.970fps)
 (+) Audio --aid=1 --alang=eng (ac3 2ch 48000Hz)
     Subs  --sid=1 (*) (eia_608)
and finally the window pops open with the stream. We can add caching options, or add -screen options to send it to a different monitor where the terminal tab can still control the display from another monitor, and other niceties, very flexible. I also use it as an image viewer, and when I devise a way for playlist and radio control it also is a decent audio player.

Lua scripts are an untapped richness.

That is an AMD gpu. On Nouveau it is "VO [opengl}" and that does push, the CPU.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Post by sunrat »

CwF wrote: 2022-12-08 13:53 a way for playlist and radio control it also is a decent audio player.
I use mpv for audio a lot. F8 shows the playlist and Shift-> and < move forward and back.
Lua scripts are an untapped richness.
Haven't tried this one but looks interesting - https://github.com/occivink/mpv-gallery ... t-view.lua
That is an AMD gpu. On Nouveau it is "VO [opengl}" and that does push, the CPU.
Maybe these will help:
nouveau/ VideoAcceleration
https://wiki.debian.org/HardwareVideoAcceleration#mpv

Also handy is the mpv mpris plugin which, combined with kdeconnect, pauses play when your phone rings and allows phone to control playback. It also integrates with taskbar via Dbus so you can control playback from taskbar.
I installed it from Github but I see there's mpv-mpris in bullseye-backports as well as sid and testing now - https://packages.debian.org/bullseye-ba ... /mpv-mpris
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#20 Post by CwF »

sunrat wrote: 2022-12-08 23:07 I use mpv for audio a lot.
Yes. I have not worked on my playlist ideas much but it would be directory aware and not simply the directory, so a playlist of many songs/videos/pics in different directories while not listing unselected ones from all the directories involved. Also like the TV tuner controls I need a front end for the HD-radio, and maybe a mpv window for background compiled weather radar 'video' loops.

The good about mpv is the adaptability in not enforced on all, but user built expandable. Turn-key solutions can be fat while mpv's talents are in the true linux way of leveraging external components and ingredients.

I have only 1 old nouveau box I've neglected because it works. It can do 4 HD streams without issue on it's old E5 xeon while running a warm cpu and a chilly gpu...Oh well. The more modern AMD machines run hot gpu's and chilly cpu's. Peter or Paul, doesn't really change the experience much.

So think Vendor Event Trailer or even food truck. I've done some building on such things in mostly structural fabrication, and a decade back they'd have a few computers to do things. After working on some unified whole house server type setups I started thinking more 'unified', but complex. One computer, many users with many displays, etc, and wayland doesn't help! But mpv is certainly the ticket for handling media with many concurrent instances.

Wow, integrate it with a phone! SEE! Everything, mpv does everything.