Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Questions on security in Testing (Bookworm)

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
geotechtribe

Questions on security in Testing (Bookworm)

#1 Post by geotechtribe »

I am running Testing (Bookworm) because my graphics card configuration is supported by the kernel in Bookworm, but is not yet supported by the kernel in Bullseye. I found it easier to just upgrade to to Testing rather than trying to figure out how to run backports and set up my multi-screen operation from there.

So be that as it may, I read this on the release notes for Bookworm:
Please note that security updates for testing distribution are not yet managed by the security team. Hence, testing does not get security updates in a timely manner. You are encouraged to switch your sources.list entries from testing to bullseye for the time being if you need security support.
Now I am trying to decide if I should switch to Bullseye's security updates or stick with Bookworm's, even though they may be delayed. So what I wonder is, what kind of security breaches have people had that might have caused some serious problems for individual users like myself? Any advice from having had firsthand experience would be helpful.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

Re: Questions on security in Testing (Bookworm)

#2 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

geotechtribe wrote: 2022-12-08 21:25 I am running Testing (Bookworm) because my graphics card configuration is supported by the kernel in Bookworm, but is not yet supported by the kernel in Bullseye. I found it easier to just upgrade to to Testing rather than trying to figure out how to run backports and set up my multi-screen operation from there.
(...)
So what I wonder is, what kind of security breaches have people had that might have caused some serious problems for individual users like myself?
None reported, AFAIN.

For at least 2 decades the term "hacker" is improperly used by mass-media - they don't understand what this term means, which is rather funny.

While it's true that Testing may have security holes (TBH Debian stable can have some unknown vulnerabilities too), I would say that You should rather avoid clicking on links in Your e-mails and install NoScript in Your browser. Today's so-called "hackers" are idiots - they have completely no idea how the computer works, but some of them are are good in writing malicious scripts.

IMO, if the backported kernel(s) will start supporting Your HW - switch to Stable, if not - keep using Testing.

Regards.

EDIT: I've just realized that my "advice" is rather stupid - just stick to Testing, which anyway will become "stable" eventaually ;)
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

geotechtribe

#3 Post by geotechtribe »

Ok, thank you!

jmgibson1981

#4 Post by jmgibson1981 »

I think you'd be better off running stable if
easier to just upgrade to to Testing rather than trying to figure out how to run backports
is accurate. It's just a single line added to the sources list and a certain way of running the apt install command.

While testing is run by many for better or worse you need to be aware that things can break and may not be fixed right away. If you have any need for your machine to be fully consistent testing may be wrong for you.