Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] Share a folder with virtualbox

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Peet

[Software] Share a folder with virtualbox

#1 Post by Peet »

Hi All!

I want to share a folder with virtualbox, but I can't do it. My host is a Debian 11, the virtualbox has a windows 8. How to share your host public folder with virtualbox? If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.
Thank you in advance for your help!

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: [Software] Share a folder with virtualbox

#2 Post by NFT5 »

Start Virtualbox Manager, select but don't start the VM.

Go to Settings > Shared Folders.

Add the path of the folder you want to share, e.g. /home/myname/shared_folder.

You may need to allow sharing of that folder. Different DEs have slightly different ways to achieve this.

Virtualbox has quite extensive Help and online documentation. When you're starting out with a new program like this the best thing to do is read the documentation. If you don't read it all, at least note where information is so you can find it later when you need it. It's much faster than asking and you'll learn more thoroughly than by just following an instruction.

nixer

#3 Post by nixer »

The Guest Additions will need to be installed in the guest machine, as noted in the vbox manual,
Vbox Shared Folders manual
shared folders do not require networking, only the Guest Additions

pwzhangzz

#4 Post by pwzhangzz »

nixer wrote: 2022-12-17 00:40 The Guest Additions will need to be installed in the guest machine, as noted in the vbox manual,
Vbox Shared Folders manual
shared folders do not require networking, only the Guest Additions
In most other distros, in order to run VirtualBox you have to also install a bunch of other packages such as build-essentials, headers, etc. You also have to acquire group memberships in vboxusers and vboxfs (in order to share files with the host)*. In Sid, all I needed to do is to install the VirtualBox package. Everything else our Debian developers have taken care of. Sid developers also make installing Guest Additions (for many VurtualBox users this is a much dreaded process) just a click away. Hope this arrangement will be carried over to Bookworm when the latter comes out.

* The following link is an example of how to install VirtualBox in Mint 21:

https://linuxiac.com/install-virtualbox ... x-mint-21/
Last edited by pwzhangzz on 2022-12-17 18:32, edited 1 time in total.

Peet

#5 Post by Peet »

Thanks for the help everyone, I managed to set it up :)