Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Feature] Advanced BBcode

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin

Re: [Feature] Advanced BBcode

#21 Post by donald »

This thread is so fragmented for what seems like 10 issues :lol:.

1) We changed the search backend to a much faster indexing system from the native phpBB system. It seems to be flying.
2) The slowdowns are an over-searching crawler army ...not an attack ... but a lot of attention. We will take measures to thwart them ... once again.
3) The cookies system was changed in favor of a new system that asks for explicit permission with outside/3rd party content. There is not much that we can do with the google fonts stuff, we have asked a few other board admins and a few developers for php extensions and they say it would be increasingly or near impossible. We could block all 3rd party content but that could cause some issues. We can try it next week when everything has settled.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#22 Post by canci »

Thank you so much! I've finally got the question about consent. Love it!

I also love how there's no penalty in disabling 3rd party stuff. Like, if I want to, I can actually still click on the Youtube links, but they aren't magically hidden on the site just because I didn't give consent to automatically load stuff from Youtube.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

donald

#23 Post by donald »

canci wrote: 2022-11-13 09:58 Thank you so much! I've finally got the question about consent. Love it!

I also love how there's no penalty in disabling 3rd party stuff. Like, if I want to, I can actually still click on the Youtube links, but they aren't magically hidden on the site just because I didn't give consent to automatically load stuff from Youtube.
@canci I give you the full credit for sticking to this issue and your patience during all of the time it took us to resolve it. My thanks to you. You literally changed the face of and how we manage the forums* :), that is awesome. Thank you again.

*I also wish to secretly blame you for when I messed the permissions up trying to do this on my own. :lol: just kidding.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#24 Post by canci »

I realize I'm also a bit annoying about all that and maybe a bit too emotionally invested. :lol:
So thanks to all of you for your patience and perseverance. You truly made this forum a much better and ethically more viable alternative to Reddit or other venues. And that's more in line with Debian values I'd say.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#25 Post by sunrat »

Spoiler tag removed from post reply box. It had only been used incorrectly and code tags should have been used instead for nearly all of the handful of times it was used.
Grouped sub-, super- and strikethough text tag icons together.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!