Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] Can't change from English (USA) to (UK) the sub-menus under "Writing Aids / Available language modules"

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
bkpsusmitaa

[Software] Can't change from English (USA) to (UK) the sub-menus under "Writing Aids / Available language modules"

#1 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

Detailed subject:
Can't change the values in the sub-option under, Writing Aids / Available language modules, from English (USA) to English (UK)

I Have installed the latest debian lxde live iso [Official Debian GNU/Linux Live 11.6.0 lxde 2022-12-17T11:46] the last week. I have not
changed any of the individual packages installed by the Debian Installer (not from within the Live OS running).

From the Libre Office / Options / Language Settings, Using the Languages sub-menus under it, the language has been set to English (UK), one of the officiating languages in India.

However, the values in the sub-menus under the Libre Office / Options / Language Settings / Writing Aids / Available language modules, can't be changed from English (USA) to English (UK), particularly for the sub-menus as shown in the attached screenshot.
The sub-menus within
The sub-menus within
I have two queries:
(A) Could a change from English (USA) to English (UK), particularly for the sub-menus as shown in the said screenshot be done? Or do I have to completely uninstall all the installed additional language packs and install some other packages for using English(UK) rather than English (USA)?

(B) Also another essential Question:
Is there a way to have print in a text file all the packages installed and the settings of my local Libre Office installation without using the sub-menus under the Options tab?

Any advice in this regard would be welcome.

Thanking you in anticipation and best wishes,
Last edited by bkpsusmitaa on 2023-01-24 07:46, edited 5 times in total.
Freedom is impossible to conceive.
Books that help:
Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends And Influence People and Emilie Post's Etiquette In Society, In Business, In Politics, And At Home

bin

Re: [Software] Can't change from English (USA) to (UK) the sub-menus under "Writing Aids / Available language modules"

#2 Post by bin »

Code: Select all

sudo apt install hunspell-en-gb
should do the trick

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: [Software] Can't change from English (USA) to (UK) the sub-menus under "Writing Aids / Available language modules"

#3 Post by NFT5 »

As above.

One of the first things I do with any fresh installation is install every package that has "en-gb" in its name. Locale settings usually picks up things like date and time formats and measurement units but installing from a live disc isn't anywhere near as reliable as using the full CDs or, even better, the netinstall variants.

"en-us" or, worse, "en" is insidious but the lazy spellings and ridiculous date formats can generally be banished with a little perseverance.

bkpsusmitaa

#4 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

NFT5 wrote: 2023-01-24 07:06 ... but installing from a live disc isn't anywhere near as reliable as using the full CDs or, even better, the netinstall variants ...
Installed from the Live CD, not from the Live installer running within the Live-OS. Above post amended to incorporate this information. hunspell-en-us was completely removed. But still the settings reverts to English (USA) despite being repeatedly set up as English (UK). I shall try once as root and check.

[Later]
No even change as a root user doesn't make any difference. This must be an internal bug.
Freedom is impossible to conceive.
Books that help:
Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends And Influence People and Emilie Post's Etiquette In Society, In Business, In Politics, And At Home

bin

#5 Post by bin »

aspell and aspell-en may also help.

What is the output from 'locale' ?