Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Discussion] [Solved] Debian Mailing Lists - Unsubscribing due to no MX record

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
epp

[Discussion] [Solved] Debian Mailing Lists - Unsubscribing due to no MX record

#1 Post by epp »

I received a reply to a post I made in the SID/Testing forum, but did not receive an e-mail from the site indicating there was a reply and the same e-mail address is (was?) on two Debian mailing lists.

The last e-mails that came in were from yesterday, then I discovered the e-mail domain (owned by Yahoo, via legacy AOL Mail) is now not showing an MX record (via the 'dig' command) and e-mails to the address now bounce with a 'permanent error'. A new e-mail address has been subscribed to the Debian mailing lists/forum.

Will the (now bad?) e-mail address be automatically removed from the Debian mailing lists, if enough bounces occur? I don't know of this lack of an MX record is temporary or not. I otherwise received no communication from Yahoo/AOL that the e-mail domain was being discontinued for e-mail.

Thank you.

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

Re: [Discussion] Debian Mailing Lists - Unsubscribing due to no MX record

#2 Post by donald »

Yes, after a bounce threshold is reached the mailserv will no longer send emails to that address.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

epp

#3 Post by epp »

Thank you.

epp

#4 Post by epp »

E-mails started coming in just now and dig is now showing the MX record for the domain again. But I was able to successfully unsubscribe that e-mail from the mailing lists via the e-mails received and using an address more reliable. Thanks again.