Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Random screen lockups/glitches on Intel Alder Lake integrated graphics

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
jzroth

Random screen lockups/glitches on Intel Alder Lake integrated graphics

#1 Post by jzroth »

I have a new 10th-generation ThinkPad X1 Carbon which uses the 12th gen Intel CPU i7-1260P with integrated graphics. I'm running Debian Testing.

The graphics shows up in lspci as:

Code: Select all

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
When I first installed Debian, I noticed even simple games and animations were laggy. I followed the advice of the Debian wiki and installed xserver-xorg-core instead of xserver-xorg-video-intel. This seems to have solved the lag issue, but introduced a new one. When using some applications like Firefox or Discord, the screen (the entire screen, not just the app) will randomly lock up and become unresponsive, - except for the mouse cursor, which remains moveable over an otherwise locked up screen.

Other times the screen will glitch to totally black for a bit.

This effect usually lasts for 1-2 seconds before the computer returns to normal operation. The glitches don't seem to leave any errors in dmesg or journalctl. They appear most frequently when multiple programs are open and I'm trying to switch between them quickly. They happen on both X11 and Wayland desktops. Interestingly I *haven't* seen them happen when I'm using a pair of external monitors over Thunderbolt instead of the laptop monitor.

Does anyone know how to diagnose/fix this? It's so annoying that I'm considering going back to xserver-xorg-video-intel to see if they don't happen there, and just living with the seemingly worse graphics performance.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Random screen lockups/glitches on Intel Alder Lake integrated graphics

#2 Post by sunrat »

Moved to Testing/Sid subforum
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

jzroth

#3 Post by jzroth »

After some reading on the Arch Wiki I think the problem might be with the "panel self-refresh" feature of the intel driver not working correctly. It can be disabled.

I created a the file /etc/modprobe.d/i915_disable_psr.conf to fix this:

Code: Select all

options i915 enable_psr=0
This seems to have helped.

Swampebob

#4 Post by Swampebob »

Hi,
I'm looking into the same issue. Did this solve your problem?