Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Hardware] nvidia driver installation error

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
galluzHalevi

[Hardware] nvidia driver installation error

#1 Post by galluzHalevi »

Hi,
I am using bookworm on my dell xps 15, which has nvidia 3050 ti (I know nvidia's problems, i inherited this laptop had no choice on the matter).
I'm having real problems getting the driver to work. following every guide i found, they mainly told me to:
  1. install and run nvidia-detect
  2. install the recommended driver (in my case nvidia driver)
  3. reboot
but nvidia x server only shows the two lines (profiles and nvidia-settings config) and running nvidia-smi shows:
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.
so i understand that im missing something, just not sure what).
Thanks, Gal

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Hardware] nvidia driver installation error

#2 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Moved by moderator to Sid's Playpen.

Welcome to the forum.

I have moved your post here because Debian Testing may have its own bugs and quirks (as the name implies). All issues relating to Testing should be posted here.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Hardware] nvidia driver installation error [nvidia GeForce RTX 3050 ti]

#3 Post by Aki »

Hello,
galluzHalevi wrote: 2023-01-13 21:28 [..] so i understand that I'm missing something, just not sure what).
You are probably missing kernel modules (driver) for your graphic card.

It would be interesting to know if the default free kernel module (called nouveau) works for you: does the graphic environment work, anyway ?

If you wish to install the nvidia's proprietary kernel module (driver), the nvidia's unix drivers website [1] suggests version 525.78.01(you can download it from [1]). This version is not currently available in Debian [2]. Therefore, you have to download it from nvidia website and compile/install it by yourself.

---
[1] https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
[2] https://packages.debian.org/search?suit ... dia-driver
Last edited by Aki on 2023-01-14 09:26, edited 1 time in total.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

@ttila

#4 Post by @ttila »

If you have a laptop you shoud have 2 videocard, a discrete video card and the nvidia card.
On my old laptop with Optimus tecnology, i use bumblebee to use my Nvidia card when i Need to use the accelerate card.
You could use only the nvidia card or use nvidia-primus.

https://wiki.debian.org/NVIDIA%20Optimus

mrjcd

#5 Post by mrjcd »

just a NOTE:
nvidia on Debian will NOT work with wayland
If installed NVIDA from Debian repository it should auto disable any login to wayland.
But then again ...things break sometimes
Just make sure you are logged in to X11 :P

@ttila

#6 Post by @ttila »

mrjcd wrote: 2023-01-14 23:23 ....
I won't get a full working experience with Wayland but I'm using wayfire with proprietary nvidia under Debian Testing. The problem is few DEs have a good support under wayland.
Firefox gives gliches, Lxqt doesn't run yet, Arduino ide and synaptic don't work.
We must be pacience.

waldrock

#7 Post by waldrock »

mrjcd wrote: 2023-01-14 23:23 just a NOTE:
I am with kde bookworm and nvidia in wayland and everything works perfectly for me, the repository drivers do not work with wayland, you have to download the nvidia proprietary ones from their website.

@ttila

#8 Post by @ttila »

The Nvidia proprietary drivers (now 510) in Bookworm repos support wayland, you need at least >495. I'm using those :mrgreen:

waldrock

#9 Post by waldrock »

@ttila wrote: 2023-01-31 20:28 The Nvidia proprietary drivers (now 510) in Bookworm repos support wayland, you need at least >495. I'm using those :mrgreen:
How to make it work with repositories? It doesn't start me, it returns me to sddm.
However, with the ones from the nvidia web it works for me, could you explain the steps to me?.

Greetings and thank you.

@ttila

#10 Post by @ttila »

waldrock wrote: 2023-02-04 22:50 .....It doesn't start me, it returns me to sddm.
It doesn't support wayland, this happens to me with Lxqt. It's a work in progress, Kde and Gnome run under wayland but other light DE not till now.
waldrock wrote: 2023-02-04 22:50 .....However, with the ones from the nvidia web it works for me, could you explain the steps to me?.
In the archwiki, chapter 1-Requirement https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Wayland, you will get an explanation.

I followed these steps:
  • install libnvidia-egl-gbm1 and libnvidia-allocator1 packages;
  • in /etc/default/grub Add kernel option to the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nvidia-drm.modeset=1";
  • as root launch "update-grub".
Now you are able the launch a wayland compositor like weston, sway, wayfire (I'm using it), etc.. The installer installs all necessary files, instead of Debian packages where all is splitted and you need to install manually.
Regards

waldrock

#11 Post by waldrock »

Everything is correct and with nvidia drivers from the repository in wayland working.

Thank you @ttila