Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installation of Debian on HP Envy x360

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
daduck

Installation of Debian on HP Envy x360

#1 Post by daduck »

Hi,

on my old laptop (lenovo thinkpad E570 with Intel) dual boot installations debian aside of Windows run fine.

But on my current new laptop HP Envy x360, AMD Ryzen 7 5852 U and SSD there are some obstacle. On that laptop there is an OEM Windows 11 installed. I already deinstalled all unecessary software, and also
deactivated Quickstart resp. hibernation.

I always install via the installation process provided on the images and use graphical expert install.

1. The installation of Bullseye 11.6.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso runs until the end, but the installer doesn't create a 'debian OSManger' that could then be selected in the BIOS and therefore Windows will start. The disk-partitions for debian are swap/root/home and opt in btrfs. What might be the problem ?

2. While attempting to boot debian via Supergrub the system started but terminated with 'acp_pda_mach.0 : snd_soc_register_card (acp) failed: -517' . This also occured while starting 'debian-live-11.6.0-amd64-kde.iso'. What might be the problem ?

3. An attempt to install 'debian-bookworm-DI-alpha1amd64-DVD-1.iso' stopped during the installtion process at the point of detection of the network. What might be the problem ?

At last I installed Kubuntu 22.10 and it works. So there might be some difference maybe due to the newer kernel ? Some internet search on the second issue hint to a kernel problem ?

Best regards

Thomas

Dai_trying

Re: Installation of Debian on HP Envy x360

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

You might need firmware which is not included on the standard iso images, a link to the Bookworm images below which might help.

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... 64/iso-cd/

lindi
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#3 Post by lindi »

1. It's really difficult to say. If you can boot from live USB you should take a look at the installer log. It is in /var/log/installer/syslog. Unfortunately I have no experience on dual-boot with Windows with UEFI but maybe somebody else can help here.

2. Seems to be related to some sound driver, possibly not critical at all: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1529

Also, the debian testing installer might not always be functional. I would always install with the stable installer and then upgrade if I needed to run testing (I generally don't want to run testing).

daduck

#4 Post by daduck »

Thanks.

yes, it concerns the sound driver, but unfortunately in this case it can't be ngelected, there is no sound on the internal speaker. The Controller is a 'Renoir Radeon High Definition Audio Controller' and due to some Google-Search, there is no driver for that available. Using Kubuntu the installation process runs to its end and the OSBootmanger could be selected in the BIOS (this is a difference to the debian-Installation), but this audio card can't be selected. Sound is provided via Headphone jack and also via bluetooth, but not by the internal speakers (B&O ones). Using sound via bluetooth and/or Headphone is a workaround, but not a satisfying one.
I'll go ahead trying other Linux Distro of which it said they work: https://linux-hardware.org/?id=pci:1002-1637-1002-1637

Thomas

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by p.H »

1. My usual suspect is a faulty UEFI firmware which boot only from Windows boot manager or the removable media path. I have seen this on HP Elitebook laptops.
A difference between Ubuntu and Debian is that Ubuntu installs a copy of its bootloader into the removable media path and Debian does not do it by default. The option is available only in expert install.

2. The last message is not always related with the actual issue. It is unlikely that a sound driver issue blocks the system. At some points the system starts the GUI but AMD GPU require non free firmware which are not present in official (DFSG compliant) installation images. Another difference with Ubuntu is that Ubuntu includes non free firmware by default. It also includes a newer kernel which may have better support for recent hardware.

3. The testing/bookworm installer is for testing the installer, not installing the testing/bookworm distribution.

daduck

#6 Post by daduck »

Thanks.
1. I always install in 'graphicalExpertModus' and I've selected in that last step to install in alternative path. But it didn't work.
1a./2. I've installed an earlier version 11.2 and set sceureBoot=disabled in the BIOS the OS could be selected in the BIOS 'OS Boot Manager' section but the start of the system reported the 'acp_pda_mach...' of above and the last message was the detection of the CUPS printer to make them local. Therefore there might be some differences in the installation process.

3. If that's the case, the installer stops at stage of recognizing the hardware of the network, and it is repeatable (also if secureboot=disabled in BIOS).

I'll go ahead with Kubuntu and/or Manjaro which both run through their installation routine and install grub properly, but with the missing firmware for 'Renoir Radeon High Definition Audio Controller'. Concerning the latter I mailed to AMD, but the response wasn't successful. I will go ahead contacting HP.

Thomas

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by p.H »

daduck wrote: 2023-01-05 18:55 3. An attempt to install 'debian-bookworm-DI-alpha1amd64-DVD-1.iso' stopped during the installtion process at the point of detection of the network. What might be the problem ?
It reminds me of https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... ug=1021918 (unloading driver module hangs when required firmware is missing).
What are the network controllers and associated kernel drivers/modules ?

Code: Select all

lspci -nnkd ::200 ; lspci -nnkd ::280

daduck

#8 Post by daduck »

Here it is:

01:00.0 Network controller [0280]: MEDIATEK Corp. MT7921 802.11ax PCI Express Wireless Network Adapter [14c3:7
961]
       DeviceName: WLAN
       Subsystem: AzureWave MT7921 802.11ax PCI Express Wireless Network Adapter [1a3b:4682]
       Kernel driver in use: mt7921e
       Kernel modules: mt7921e

Please remind, that the bullseye-installProcess succesfully passes this point.

Thomas

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by p.H »

daduck wrote: 2023-01-11 12:06 Kernel modules: mt7921e
Bingo. You can blacklist it on the installer command line. Or use the bookworm installer image including non-free firmware (I guess).
daduck wrote: 2023-01-11 12:06 the bullseye-installProcess succesfully passes this point.
This module does not exist in bullseye.

daduck

#10 Post by daduck »

Thanks.
I'll test it, but it will take some time.

Thomas

daduck

#11 Post by daduck »

I would like to hint to the German c't https://www.heise.de/select/ct/2022/20/ ... 1738463324
The article describe, that a recent Microsoft patch deleted some Linux-Distro off the secure boot list.

Thomas

daduck

#12 Post by daduck »

I've downloaded https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... 64/iso-cd/
but it still stops at networks hardware detection.
I know how to blacklist a module on a running system, but how can I blacklist a module during the installation process ? I couldn't find a possibility in the graphicalExpertModus.

Thomas

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#13 Post by p.H »

There are at least 4 ways to blacklist a kernel module in the installer.

1. Add module_blacklist=mt7921e to the installer kernel command line. This talks directly to the kernel.

2. Add modprobe.blacklist=mt7921e to the installer kernel command line. This talks to modprobe when invoked to load modules.

3. Add mt7921e.blacklist=y to the installer kernel command line. This causes early installer scripts to add "blacklist mt7921e" to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.local.conf. This file will be copied into the installed system.

4. Switch to the shell in tty2 or tty3 as soon as possible (preferably after setting the keyboard layout if not US QWERTY but before loading extra modules), create or edit a file /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf with nano and add "blacklist mt7921e" to it.

To edit the kernel command line at boot time:
- with ISOLinux boot loader, press "tab"
- with GRUB boot loader, press "e" and move to the line starting with "linux"

Notes:
- Method 1 works with a Linux kernel >= 4.8.
- Methods 2, 3 and 4 do not prevent loading a module by name.
- Methods 3 and 4 does not work with modules included in initrd.gz and already loaded.
- Kernel parameters added after "---" or "--" will be added to the installed system kernel command line (through GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX in /etc/default/grub).
- Methods 1 and 2 work with an installed system too.

daduck

#14 Post by daduck »

Hi p.h.

I couldn't wait.
I've run expert install in nonGraphicMode. Edited as mentioned under 4., and the installation process passed the detection network hardware successful.
Only the grub isn't installed in the existing EFI-Boot-partition, therefore I couldn't select 'debian' in the BIOS' selection of OSManagers. But the BIOS provides a possibility to select boot via efi, where grub.efi, shim.efi etc. could be selected. grub.efi then started debian, and I run grub-install into that existing efi-boot- partition, and could then select it in the BIOS as OSManager aside of WindowsOSManager.
The system starts with the Grub-Menu as used, except there is no Windows-Boot option selectable.

The 'acp_pda_mach.0 : snd_soc_register_card (acp) failed: -517' didn't occur yet.

Only the problem with 'Renoir Radeon High Definition Audio Controller' remains.

I'll go ahead with this installation, and test it in my environment.

Thanks so far for your professional assistance.

Thomas

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#15 Post by p.H »

daduck wrote: 2023-01-12 21:39 The system starts with the Grub-Menu as used, except there is no Windows-Boot option selectable.
Check that running "os-prober" detects Windows EFI boot loader.
Use of os-prober by grub-mkconfig is disabled by default in bookworm. Add

Code: Select all

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false
to /etc/default/grub to enable it and run "update-grub".

daduck

#16 Post by daduck »

That's what I've found, cause I wondered, that compared to the bullseye-installation, there was no detection of any other OS in the grub-installer step. I've made exactly that change to the grub-file. And OS-Windows could also be selected.

Next I'll keep an eye on the boot-log, whether there are some remarks at the start of the boot-process.#

Thanks.

daduck

#17 Post by daduck »

I've cross checked the boot screen line and the journalctl -b.
Due to my understanding, the logs concern the 'Renoir Audio controller' for which there seems to be no driver at all. AMD referred to HP, which I haven't contacted yet.

cs35141-hd i2c-csc3551:oo-csc3551-hd.0: error: acpi _dsd properties are missing for hid cdc3551
cs35141-hd i2c-csc3551:oo-csc3551-hd.0: error: -einval:_platform not supported
cs35141-hd i2c-csc3551:oo-csc3551-hd.1: error: acpi _dsd properties are missing for hid cdc3551
cs35141-hd i2c-csc3551:oo-csc3551-hd.1: error: -einval:_platform not supported

I hope my assumptions concerning the Renoir Audio controller' were correct.

For further information:

For the installation of bookworm (s. above) I've had disabled 'secure boot'.

Thomas

daduck

#18 Post by daduck »

In the meantime I've talked to the HP Support concerning the 'Renoir Radeon High Definition Audio Controller`. As more or less expected the support said, that HP couldn`t and didn`t want to assist in this case and they also seem to have no interest supporting Linux for Desktop and/or Mobile systems.

Thomas