Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Resetting user password on remote instance without access to GRUB

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Fort-P

[Solved] Resetting user password on remote instance without access to GRUB

#1 Post by Fort-P »

So, I am in a fairly unique situation. I have a VPS hosted with oracle cloud, and a couple of years ago I changed the OS it was running to Debian from Oracle Linux. This change went smoothly, and I have had no problems with it until a few days ago, when my password just randomly stopped working. There is only 1 user account on the machine, and I have the password under a few saved logins as well (FTP, SSH clients) so I know I am not just mistakenly remembering it. The password worked fine when I left one night, and then the very next morning, it will no longer allow me to login. I tried using a serial connection to reboot the instance and get the GRUB menu, but holding shift seemed to do nothing, (you can see it say "Welcome to GRUB" for less than half a second, then disappear. I was unable to press the arrow keys during this time, even with simulated keyboard input) and escape just brought me to a bios, from which I could not find a way to get to the GRUB menu. So, does anybody have/know of a way to reset the password for a user, while being unable to login, to either a root or user account, but at the same time not being able to access the GRUB bootloader? I have seen solutions that work by booting from a removable installation media and changing a few partitions, but I don't think that will work for me, as I don't have any way to physically interact with the machine.
Thanks in advance,
- Fort
Last edited by Fort-P on 2023-02-03 01:49, edited 1 time in total.

dlu2021

Re: [Software] Resetting user password on remote instance without access to GRUB

#2 Post by dlu2021 »

I know it is a long shot, but maybe the keyboard is starting to go, does the password look right when you type in out in a non password field?

Fort-P

Re: [Software] Resetting user password on remote instance without access to GRUB

#3 Post by Fort-P »

Yeah, my keyboard works fine for everything else, and when I type the password in a regular text field, and I don't think it is the SSH client interfering either, as I have tried a few different ones.

Fort-P

#4 Post by Fort-P »

UPDATE
I got this working by moving the boot partition to another working vm, and using chroot to force change the password