Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] use debian dvd to handle packages

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
zio_civettone

[Software] use debian dvd to handle packages

#1 Post by zio_civettone »

I use VMware to run Debian client where I configured 3 cdrom device (SCSI type), I ask myself if Debian can mount 3 cdrom at the same time.
I created 3 mount points that is /media/dvd1, /media/dvd2, /media/dvd3 for three dvd rom which contain Debian installer.
I mounted these 3 physical dvd to mount points so I can access them.

My target is to configure synaptic to handle packages only from my DVDs.
I don't know how to link dvd to Synaptic because Synaptic gives an error when try to add "add cdrom" function.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Software] use debian dvd to handle packages

#2 Post by Aki »

zio_civettone wrote: 2023-03-01 08:55 My target is to configure synaptic to handle packages only from my DVDs.
I don't know how to link dvd to Synaptic because Synaptic gives an error when try to add "add cdrom" function.
What is the error ?
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by p.H »

IIRC apt expects the CDROM to be mounted on /media/cdrom.

zio_civettone

#4 Post by zio_civettone »

can I have only one cdrom ?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by p.H »

Not sure, I have never used multiple installation CDROMs. Maybe you can point the /media/cdrom to the desired CDROM mount point when prompted by apt.
Or create "deb file:" entries for each CDROM in /etc/apt/sources.list (see man sources.list). IIRC CDROM repositories are not signed, so you may need to mark them as safe/trusted (see man apt-secure)

zio_civettone

#6 Post by zio_civettone »

p.H wrote: 2023-03-01 12:53 Or create "deb file:" entries for each CDROM in /etc/apt/sources.list (see man sources.list). IIRC CDROM repositories are not signed, so you may need to mark them as safe/trusted (see man apt-secure)
So Synaptic use sources.list file ? If I changed this file adding 3 mount points of 3 cdrom, Synaptic retrieve info rightly ?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by p.H »

I guess so. Why don't you just try it and report ?

zio_civettone

#8 Post by zio_civettone »

I tried to mount /dev/sr0 to /media/cdrom, when I click on add cdrom in Synaptic an entry is added into It no cdrom is no longer mounter into /media/cdrom. How Synaptic can retrieve packages from cdrom ??!??!?!

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by CwF »

zio_civettone wrote: 2023-03-04 08:10 How Synaptic can retrieve packages from cdrom ?
Why?
Originally in a disc set the index is on disc1. Installed from that disc, the sources.list entry is set by the installer, debs on disc+1 are known and the user will be prompted for disc#. The logic used is not intended for multi-device, yet you could set it up for no good reason.

Genuine disc changers at one time in history cached contents and could prompt user, or automatically cycle disc. I have a few of those, Nak's and Pioneers.

Post install there is no reason to use physical opticals in a virtual machine, except just for fun.

Search here for scanpackages, from dpkg-dev, move all debs onto a virtual drive and operate from there. You could use an iso format for fun if you must.