Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Computer keeps shutting down (not temp problem)

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
bullseye_user

Computer keeps shutting down (not temp problem)

#1 Post by bullseye_user »

Hi! I'm a backend developer and currently working on an app as a startup.
My computer (debian bullseye) keeps shutting down after I run an instance of milvus(vector database), and I need milvus to do vector search for the app.
At first I thought it was thermal problem, but after more than 30 minutes of stress-ng -a 32, It really didn't seem like one.
Also, I noticed that thermals reported by stress-ng by using --tz was way lower than what sensors(coretemp) reported (stress-ng: ~45C, sensors: ~95C)
I also checked journalctl and syslog. Journalctl only reported "BOOT" without any mentioning of why, and syslog showed lots of @ signs.
Remembered reading that @ on syslog was NULL character, and likely caused by hardware issues, but the funny part is that it only happens when I launch milvus with docker compose, which takes significantly less CPU than stress-ng
Could it be a problem with the system shutting down the computer due to false alarm, or something else?
It's really strange since it only started happening yesterday, and before that It worked fine

I'll attach a screenshot of syslog and journalctl.
Thanks In advance, and as I need this as quickly as possible, please don't hesitate to give me an advice :wink:
Screenshot from 2023-03-06 21-00-52.png
Screenshot from 2023-03-06 21-01-50.png

peter_irich

Re: Computer keeps shutting down (not temp problem)

#2 Post by peter_irich »

Perhpaps, videocard is wrong.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Computer keeps shutting down (not temp problem)

#3 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Most probably heat.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...