Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Installation] apt vs. .deb

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
tisnix

[Installation] apt vs. .deb

#1 Post by tisnix »

Hello all,

I wonder:

When i install a ejabberd server, i have two methods.
I can installed it using apt install ejabberd in the terminal, or i can go to the website and grab the ejabber.deb package and let de softwaremanager take care of the install.

The first (apt install ejabberd) take place in etc/ , while the other install methode the directory opt/ is used.
Is there an explanation why this is?

Wich install methode is preferable and why?

Thx in advance
Guus.

-Admin edit, prior subject was blank

tisnix

Re: [Installation]

#2 Post by tisnix »

I mean the configuration files.
Sorry.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Installation]

#3 Post by Aki »

Hello,

Welcome to the forum.
tisnix wrote: 2023-03-17 14:33 I wonder:

When i install a ejabberd server, i have two methods.
I can installed it using apt install ejabberd in the terminal, or i can go to the website and grab the ejabber.deb package and let de softwaremanager take care of the install.

The first (apt install ejabberd) take place in etc/ , while the other install methode the directory opt/ is used.
Is there an explanation why this is?

Which install method is preferable and why?

I mean the configuration files.
The installation path of binaries and configuration files could be irrelevant from the point of view of program functionalities. What matters is the program itself: its functionalities, version, support, bugs reporting, maintenance, periodic upgrades, source code availability.

Of course, if you download it from Debian repositories, the program is already configured to fit with other installed programs from Debian repositories and in the general configuration of the a Debian installation. Moreover, if you install it from Debian repositories you can benefit from the community that support it to various extents (developers/maintainers support, bug tracking system, periodic upgrade, source code availability) and you can give your cooperation in return.

If you don't install from Debian repositories, you probably need to tune manually some configurations, at least.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

tisnix

Re: [Installation] apt vs. .deb

#4 Post by tisnix »

Thank you!

As a starting Debian/ Linux user i wonder where the packages come from as a type apt install ejabberd?
This must be from a list where apt can refer to, In that case -as what you wrote- ejabberd is in the Debian repository t presume, and therefore the better way i think.

Beside that I have a wonderfull experience with Debian!

reinob

#5 Post by reinob »

@tisnix,

debian has a (huge) number of programs ("packages") in their repositories, and the recommendation is always to install packages from there (using "apt install").

some programs are not included in the debian repositories, but are offered as .deb packages. This may work well, but should be used with extreme care, as a given .deb may have a very specific set of dependencies (other packages, maybe in specific versions) that will have to be maintained, and may conflict with future updates, etc.

there are also programs which offer a specific repository you can add to your list, so that you can use "apt install", and usually work well in combination with debian (as long as they are specific for a specific debian release).

this is particularly useful in cases where debian only has outdated and/or buggy and/or non-existing packages, such as docker, or google chrome, etc.

tisnix

#6 Post by tisnix »

@reinob

Thank you very much.
I thought that it would be that way. It is the only of getting updates from the Debian repository. Otherwise you must update yourself and as a starting Debian/ Linux user, i think it is best to stick with apt install.

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

It's also a guideline that non-distro debs install into /opt instead of the more standard system locations that distro repo packages use.

For instance, Google's packages install into /opt, even if you add Google's own apt repos for them, such as for Chrome or Google Earth.
MX Linux packager and developer

tisnix

#8 Post by tisnix »

All future updates are also in de Debian repository, right? Meaning that i must update non-distro packages myself?
Does a softwarebuilder hands his work over to Debian, so Debian can add those software to de repository?

Again,
Thanks for answering.

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

tisnix wrote: 2023-03-17 20:28 All future updates are also in de Debian repository, right? Meaning that i must update non-distro packages myself?
Does a softwarebuilder hands his work over to Debian, so Debian can add those software to de repository?

Again,
Thanks for answering.
It's possible and common to have a third-party repositories that will show updates in your package manager along with the official repositories. Note that you need to trust the people that run that repository.

Debian doesn't have all packages in their repo, as many can't or don't want to meet the Debian Free Software Guidelines, and even if they do, Debian doesn't have enough package maintainers to do them all.

You can even run your own Debian/Ubuntu/other distros repository for free on the openSUSE Build Server. I have several there--the first one I created was for Pale Moon browser packages, built from their source code. https://build.opensuse.org/project/show ... evenpusser
MX Linux packager and developer

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by sunrat »

It is important to understand the basics of Debian package management. Generally it is far preferable to install packages from the Debian repositories than anywhere else. For new users a GUI package manager such as Synaptic is easiest, and different Desktop Environments may have their own such as Plasma Discover or Gnome Software. Command line package managers such as apt can be more efficient and comprehensive when you have a little experience.
It's good to learn about it, some helpful links are:
PackageManagement - basically an index of all relevant wiki pages
Chapter 2. Debian package management - from the Debian Reference manual, everything you will ever need to know. Heavy reading!
DontBreakDebian - what not to do, most important

Introduction to Debian Package Management - a simple summary, maybe read this first

Happy travels! :wink:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!