Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is Debian "woke"? [POLL]

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Do you think that GNU Linux and FOSS in general, have gone woke?

Poll ended at 2023-03-26 11:06

Yes - I have noticed this and will support FOSS or GNU Linux along with the woke efforts.
14%
Yes - I believe this could mean losing valued coders and as a result, the project could suffer. However, I will continue to support the projects that do/are.
No votes
Yes - I will no longer support and use FOSS or GNU Linux that are implementing these efforts.
43%
No - I have not noticed this but will support the efforts if and when they are implemented.
No votes
No - I have not noticed this with the FOSS or GNU Linux I use. However, I will not use or support those projects that implement these efforts.
43%

Total votes: 14

BBQdave
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: Is Debian....

#21 Post by BBQdave »

kent_dorfman766 wrote: 2023-03-17 19:59 I've always maintained that to play online you should have a thick skin and "grow a pair", but the "woke crowd" will be quick to hammer me for using a sexist phrase (purely as a way of trying to exert some control over me, not for being truly hurt by the phrase). As old and disgruntled as I am, I care not.
I agree, in the sense that the "woke crowd" is a person or group engaged in censorship and an authoritarian power exercise for control. It is absurd to assert that a differing thought or idea "hurts my feelings," and therefore should be banned.

Differing ideas will grow, strengthen and develop your own group of ideas. One should always hear different ideas. You may not agree with them, and that's okay.

Over the past couple of years I have been presented with a wide range of ideas and data on a given subject. Some of the data was banned from public discussion. In the end, I as a responsible human have to weigh the differing data, and do my own risk analysis. And of course, accept the reward or the consequences of my choices.

There never should be a ban on data. If the research or data is weak, a reasonable human being should be able to reach a reasonable conclusion. May even come down to a simple pros and cons list. Humans are capable of reason and logic - it lets you survive and hopefully thrive.

Censorship and "woke" is just tools of authoritarian control. And back to the OP, Debian is such a diverse community, I can not see how it would be locked down with censorship authority.
On quest for blue smoke and red rings!
Debian 12 Toshiba Satellite C655 | i3 2.3Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB RAM | 65GB SSD